Fisana

- - - - -

Horse Grain/Feed Casings

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 08:15 AM

Here is the link to the first report on these jars: http://www.mycotopia...read.php?t=3641

The pint that was spawned to the manure was spawned on 5-5. It was cased on 5-9. The other pint was birthed and cased on 5-9. The casing is Papashrooms casing recipe, with added crushed eggshells, and a little more verm added in.

The first 2 pix are of the pint that was straight cased.

The last 2 pix are of the spaen run on the manure. I hope it fruits well.

Both casings went straight to the fruiting chamber. I will update as soon as I see pins. Lets hope its not 2 weeks from now!

Attached Thumbnails

• PFCHorsegrainManureMacro5-9.jpg
  • PFCHorseGrainManureB4Casing5-9.jpg
  • PFCPintHorseGrain5-9.jpg
  • PFCCasingHorseGrain5-9.jpg

#2 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:54 AM

looks VERY healthy. hope it flushes a great pinset for you !

#3 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:21 AM

Thanks DEI! I'm hoping this goes well with this type of substrate. So far the quickness is far better for me than any other sub I've used as far as multi spore inoculations go. I've yet to use rye yet which I know is preffered. . The mycellium was literally climbing the walls of the jars with rhizo growth. I can't wait for pins. I guess I'll just have to make some syringes with the 5 new strains I got in the mail this week to pass the time! :)

#4 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:59 AM

Well the straight casing pinned yesterday. It was exactly 7 days. I'm pretty impressed by that. The manure casing hasn't pinned yet but I'm not worried, it looks really good and healthy. Because I left the sides of the container uncovered its got some good pins forming on the sides. I'll update in a few days when they mature some. I love those PFC's!

Attached Thumbnails

• PFCpins5-17.jpg

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:31 AM

looking good
archive material

#6 Guest_unclefester_*

Guest_unclefester_*

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:23 PM

I wonder if the same could be done by "sweetening" other grains? Maybe with a honey or karo water soak before PCing?

#7 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:44 PM

Fester, I have tried karo with my popcorn soaks. Nothing notably different in terms of growth rates. Though when simmered and pc'd it smelled like kettle corn which I liked :)
I am not sure if its because of the sweetness of the grain, or the mixture of the grains in the feed. I wish I new more about grains lol. The Ecuador quart I did colonized in 15 days for me. Those KS jars creeped along at the end but are getting spawned tomorrow. One to poo and one to straw for a log. The Ecuador is getting spawned to poo too. It adds a few days but I like spawning to poo and straw and the results are well worth it imho. Another important note is that I need to not fill the jars so full. I shook the hell out of the Ecuador jar right after inoculation and I think that helped speed the colonization time. To me that is an important factor with grains, shaking really good right after inoculation. I'm going to get a store bought bag of feed when this current one runs empty for comparison and ingredients list. Hopefully the store bags work just as well and will list ingredients better.

#8 SporeWizard

SporeWizard

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:00 PM

great work Freak looks like your beginning your journey to be a Pro Pinner, Im going to be PMing you in a couple of days with some ?s that I might have LOL

#9 Guest_unclefester_*

Guest_unclefester_*

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:13 PM

mmm kettle corn

Seems like you've had (at least) decent success. I would have thought somethin as mishandled as deer feed would have a high contam rate, not unlike a lot of sources of rye. Could you ask the store how fresh it is, maybe what's in it?

Keep on keepin on man, maybe you found the next big thing, who knows? I certainly want to try it now.

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 02:20 PM

Nice job Freackachino! That's a pretty quick fruiting time frame IMO. Cool!

#11 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 17 May 2005 - 03:11 PM

Thanks for the positives. This particular feed I'm using came from a lady whom I babysit her horsies for when she goes on vacation. She got this particular grain from a farm grange. So there is no way I can be 100% on the ingrediants for it. Thats why I'm hoping a store bought bag of basic horse feed with the ingredients listed will be better.

As far as how dirty it is. Yes, it is very dirty, thats why I do the hot water soaks for 48 hours and rinse and drain it a lot. The first rinse is really nasty dirty. I just keep at it until it looks like my water is finally running clean. I have yet to try a simmer with it. Just soak it, rinse it, mix in some verm, load jars and pc for 90 minutes to 2 hrs. It isn't as easy or simple as say popcorn, rye or wbs. I'm never in a hurry with the whole soak process of the grains and such anyway. Just gives me time to clean better and get my syringes ready.

Hopefully in a few days I'll have some better shots of the pins! And hopefully that manure will put off some bigguns! I love when they fruit!

#12 bipolar

bipolar

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:38 PM

That is some good looking growth. Way to go.

#13 papashroom

papashroom

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:53 PM

I can't wait 2 see what's next... Good job Freaky :D

#14 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:46 PM

Thanks Everybody!!!! :) Its fun to see a project provide.

I checked this morning and the manure casing has some pins. Here's the big one in the middle in the pic.

Not too great of pinsets, could be the multispore or the grain? Have to wait and see what subsequent flushes do. Plus I'm going to try a clone with one to see how it does on the grain. Hopefully this will make a nice permanent substrate for me to use consistently. And even the thai strains like it which I find to be the pickiest substrate wise. At least I will have some pfc prints to spread around.

Attached Thumbnails

• PFCPinsgrain-manure5-18.jpg

#15 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 22 May 2005 - 06:58 AM

okay, here are a few update pix from yesterday. The manure casing is taking its time maturing but looking nice with some bigger fruits. The other casing had some nice ones on it, I didn't take a pic of the casing though cuz my lover got into it and ate some last night and he's sleeping now so I'll get an update on what he thought of potency. So far I'm fairly impressed with this as a substrate. It spawns so nicely to the manure. I spawned the 2 quarts of KS yesterday together and spawned the quart of Ecuador to straight poo. Hopefully in 5 days they will be ready to case. I'll post those pics in this thread too since they are all horse grain.

The little casing is going to get flushed, dunked, sides covered, lightly scratched and a new light casing layer. See if I can get a better pinset outta it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5-21PFCFlush.jpg
  • 5-21PFC-ManureFlush1.jpg

#16 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:18 PM

Heres a pic of the manure casing 2night. Gonna clone the tall one.

Okay, note on the potency, he said he ate one that had a wet weight of 14 grams. Said that the visuals were minor, but a nice body buzz.

Can't wait to print em and clone it. :) fruity fun

Attached Thumbnails

• 5-22PFCmanure.jpg

#17 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:59 PM

Nice man! I like that pic on the left of the dented cap. And the bottom pic is going to be damn nice when they are matured. I love the white specks on the caps. Those are some fatties. PF clasics you say? Nice job!

#18 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:40 AM

PFC's from Papashroom. Thanks Papa! :)

Sorry, my batteries died in the cam and I harvested two of the caps. Will take pics of the remaining though. They had nice meaty stems, only going hollow a little bit right at the cap. I like the meaty stems. PFC is one of my fav's. Going to print a lot of these hopefully.

#19 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:39 AM

harvested :)

Lets hope the 2nd flush is as good as the first.

:( on a sadder note: I spawned the 2 KS quarts to manure on Saturday. I tried out a new container and thought it was giving air exchange, but alas it wasn't and smelled all sweet so outside it went. Hopefully the quart of Ecuador that was spawned will make it.
:) on a happier note: Inoculating 8 jars of the grain today. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 5-24PFCmanure2.jpg
  • 5-24PFCbiggun.jpg
  • 5-24PFCmanure.jpg

#20 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:03 AM

very nice,
don't look much like the old PFCs tho'