• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:55 PM

Evening! behold my most glorious harvest to date, an estimated half-pound!

Mwa Ha Haaa!

Attached Thumbnails

• sm_total3.jpg
  • sm_unwrapped2.jpg
  • sm_before1.jpg

#2 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:59 PM

That is a very nice harvest. Whats the substrate?

#3 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:05 PM

Cool!
Invitro in.... ovenbags?
Cheaper than mycobags and
I like the homemade filter patch.
Good Job ;)

-What strain u working with there?

#4 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:57 PM

Substrate is wbs, strain is Tapalpa (Captain Max's).

The filter patches are actually two layers of tyvek with wire mesh between. The electrical tape seems unfazed by 30min in the PC.

Yes, I am an invitro man, in as many ways as possible. This method gets a flush at mixing/spawning time, then another, usually 1.5~3 oz at the bag stage, then I crumble the masses and make pies or casings for a third flush. I lose a few to trich in the invitro pies, maybe 25%. My brf method is under experimentation. :)

The bags are made in a couple ways; either using all-colonized post-flush wbs with PC'd verm and a little coir, or 2 500ml jars of col wbs with 6 of PC'd wbs plus the verm & coir. The first can be done in (sanitized) open air and pins in 7-10 days, the second is a two-stage glovebox procedure & pins in 15 days. Bags are always PC'd before use and used only once...patches are re-used.

Yeah, oven bags are $1.50 each and easy to get! They are prone to tear though...you have to be careful, or tape up a few seams.

It's a productive method, but it takes some work...it's worth it!

#5 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:18 AM

Substrate is wbs, strain is Tapalpa (Captain Max's).

The filter patches are actually two layers of tyvek with wire mesh between. The electrical tape seems unfazed by 30min in the PC.

What is the wire mesh for? Do you mean like window screen?

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:11 AM

archive material

#7 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:24 AM

DAYUM!! Nice job, man!

#8 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 10:08 AM

The wire mesh is to make sure the two layers of tyvek don't touch each other. I figure if they did, moisture could wick from one side to the other and invite critters. The fine mesh is e-taped to tyvek, then I use scissors to cut the outline, removing a bit of tape to be sure it will be airtight; air must go thru the tyvek to pass. Then I put that piece tape & mesh side down on another piece of tyvek, tape & trim again. That is the re-used patch. For use, I place the patch tape-up on a bag and tape it on; I do it tape-up so it's easy to remove later - it would tear the tyvek otherwise. Then invert the bag and carefully cut out the plastic under the patch. Finally, fold the finished bag, wrap in 3 layers of foil & PC for 30 min to be ruthless. Ready for glovebox or open-air use!

Immortalized in the archives again! Victory is mine! :)

I think there's some more pics of this process in older posts of mine...seach for 'biblical' :)

Attached Thumbnails

• sm_filter1.jpg

#9 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:02 PM

:) Very very enjoyable! Great the oven bags work for you. Those filters are a nice idea. Thanks for sharing.

#10 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:23 PM

Cool shots !

#11 candykid420

candykid420

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 424 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:19 PM

Jesus Aged Christ. And I thought I had Invitro down to a T...

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:00 PM

I think there's some more pics of this process in older posts of mine...seach for 'biblical' :)

http://mycotopia.net...1123#post181123

#13 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:29 PM

This is the direction I think that home cultivation should go towards. Not necessarily mycobags, but doing away with large bulky and complex items like greenhouses, humidifiers, tubing, timers, rH gauges, ect. Home cultivation can do just as well with simple setups like this. These are the posts I like to see.

Morthos...if you ever have the time or inclination to experiment you should try letting these bags go for a second flush without opening them. An invitro halfpint will go through 5+ flushes in the same jar. The shrooms that grow will end up drying in the jar...and new shrooms will begin to grow out of them and around them. Letting a bag like this fruit for a couple months without opening it may give you a hell of a yeild.

#14 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:46 PM

Space-efficiency is the big reason for why I go Invitro with everything. With a standing metal rack, I can put two 6L bags on each shelf! I can't imagine building a terrarium for ten cakes, reguating humidity, or any manner of schedule for fanning/misting!

That's quite an idea highflyer...I don't know what to think of it! I certainly could designate one bag for that...maybe a 3L mix...are you sure the mushies wouldn't rot instead? There's always been a little condensation in the bags upon opening. I can see myself having a nervous twitch watching the process after the first flush! :)

I'll give it a think!

#15 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:08 PM

Im not going to guarantee that the boomers wont rot. I do know that they will not rot in invitro halfpints and there would be a good chance that they wouldnt in a setup like this. If you have an extra bag you should try letting it go....unless someone else has tried it and would like to chime in.

#16 highflyer

highflyer

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:14 PM

And did the bottom of the bag produce any kind of yeild...the area where the bag was laying on......

#17 morthos

morthos

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 605 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:52 PM

I'm not against making a smaller bag for the sake of experimentation. Perhaps larger or multiple patches will be considered to tip the balance in favor of drying vs rotting.

No there wasn't any growth underneath, and that's something I'd love to change; I like to think a 6L mass can produce more. I did have one bag up on plexiglass trying to trigger underside pinning, but I think there was either nothing or two pins...don't recall which bag had the those...didn't count tho, as the rest of the bag was due for harvest. My other thought was that there wasn't any air flow underneath...but there isn't for initial invitro PF jar pinning either...

Why do you ask?

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 05:49 AM

This is the direction I think that home cultivation should go towards. Not necessarily mycobags, but doing away with large bulky and complex items like greenhouses, humidifiers, tubing, timers, rH gauges, ect. Home cultivation can do just as well with simple setups like this. These are the posts I like to see.

agree 100%

#19 taoistshredder

taoistshredder

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:14 AM

I'll second that.
My old set-ups, found here
http://mycotopia.net...html?1094710924
eventually had to be done away with as it was hard to maintain humidity levels,
and it was only after that time that I gave invitro a go and discovered its superiority.
I grew invitro throughout this year
up until a few months back when I had to stop b/c I'm moving
(i.e. no point to growing fungus that won't have time to fruit).
Invitro is just better;
I'll get 40-50 grams off the first flush,
20-30 from the second,
and 10-20 on subsequent 3rd-5th flushes.
And as the fruits in the beginning tend to be nice and dense,
a 40 gram harvest can dry to 4.5 grams or so.
I've had a couple cakes yield almost a dry half ounce.
I really dig what you did with the bags, though,
and have been meaning to do something like that as I have
a shitload of mycobags laying around that I don't use.
Alas, there is no time, so I will have to wait until my next home
to give it a whirl.
This grow of yours is wicked impressive, though,
and a wonderful example of how one can grow big amounts
in a limited space.

#20 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:22 AM

I have
a shitload of mycobags laying around that I don't use.

i sure could use more if you wanna get rid of them...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!