• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:29 AM

I haven't done a monotub in some time, so after much discussion, and argumentation, my wife finally won the argument, and we're going to do several monotubs. 1 giant 1 and 4 of the 21 gallon ones.

Today I am pasteurizing 1 block of coconut fiber (bed a beast coir) 2lbs of wigglyworm organic worm castings, 3 quarts of vermiculite, quarter cup of calcium carbnate (reptile sand) 1 cup of karo, 1 cup of malt concentrate. All o tis is added to a bucket, and mixed with 8 gallons of boiling hot water, within an hour it reaches about 170 and holds there long enough, i've used this method many, many, many times with success.

Here is a pic of the pasteurizing tub, I use a big rubbermaid to pasteurize in, it's pretty ghetto fab, but it works.

I will be casing this tub with a rather unorthoxed method that I will try to explain when the grow gets to that point, the only thing i can tell you now is that i'll be using vermiculite only as a casing layer.

i have yielded over 9oz dry first flush off this very tub, using a different strain of course, but I just have to see palenque's pinset in a tub!

be sure to keep up as tonight when everthing is ready, i'll be spawning. i am surely using a very high spawn ratio, to expediate recolonization. I think i've got 9 or 10 pints for this tub.

Attached Thumbnails

• monotub.jpg

#2 Saintanky

Saintanky

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:39 AM

I'm excited to see where this grow goes, 9oz dry sounds like it will make for some fantastic pictures. How do you package the karo/sand, obviously a pillowcase won't work?

#3 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:48 AM

:eusa_clap

#4 seedlessstinky1

seedlessstinky1

Stinks

• Expired Member
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:08 AM

We need more people like you in america..........best wishes with the palanque.......thats quite the strain.

#5 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

I'm excited to see where this grow goes, 9oz dry sounds like it will make for some fantastic pictures. How do you package the karo/sand, obviously a pillowcase won't work?

it's all mixed into the pasteurization water, the coir is freefloated during pasteurization, the worm castings are doubled up in gallon ziplock bags to stay dry, but submerged to remain hot, so that they pasteurize.

#6 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:01 PM

We need more people like you in america..........best wishes with the palanque.......thats quite the strain.

:eusa_clap

ythanx

#7 apear

apear

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:09 PM

good luck. :headbang:

#8 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:26 PM

here is the tub i'll be transorming, going to drill some more holes in it, my battery died on my drill, it's recharging, it ran out making up lids for rye grains. My camera battery died also, those damn lithium batteries last a LONG TIME but when they go, boy they go!

i'll have to go get batteries for it here in a while.

the other pic is the coir/verm being pasteurized, haven't added the worm castings as the temp is still up too high to work with it yet. Soon i'll strain the coir, then add the wormcastinsg, then spawn in the tub.

i have some modifications yet to do on the tub, which i'll pictorialize.
have to get batteries first though.

and is 106qt's 41 gallons? i may have my maths wrong.

Attached Thumbnails

• dddddd.jpg
  • minotub.jpg

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,759 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2008 - 01:41 PM

1 US gallon = 4 US quarts

So there is 22.169934640522875 gallons in there.

http://www.ez-calcul...-calculator.htm

Keep us posted...

#10 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

Hahah, thanks, well i knew it wasn't close when i guessed!
i thought it was like 2 gallons was a quart and 4 quarts were a gallon or something, i don't have a clue!
I just know it's one big ass tub!
here's a few cell phone pics, they aren't bad pics, but not my good camera, (wifes camera actually). The tub was modified by adding a few new holes, stuffed very lightly with polyfil (air can still move), i lined the inside bottom with a black contractor bag, not only does this prevent side pinning, it also shrinks with the sub as it becomes spent, makes clean up easier!
The lid is just snapped on, not taped up or anything, the substrate depth is about 4.5 inches deep.
I used coir/verm/wormcastings/malt/dex/calc carb, and ripped open a spent teabag, as i was out of coffee grinds.
I used 9 pints of palenque rye grain spawn to spawn it up.
Hope she's seaworthy!!!

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1219869128

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1219868285

Attached Thumbnails

• spawnedtub.jpg
  • moddtub.jpg

#11 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2008 - 09:24 PM

yeah those are good tubs. i prefer the double height tubs like that though. i think ive seen em at target'

#12 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 10:37 PM

yeah this tub has given me some babies in the past, mostly using coir. I've never liked the dub tub approach, but then again, i've never tried it. I usually get shrooms that push the lid open mostly.

#13 kswissbob

kswissbob

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:00 PM

you should write up a tek on this

#14 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:13 PM

you should write up a tek on this

well, i follow "ohmatic's monotub tek" off the shroomery, but u can substitute any substrate for his substrate, thing is, if you see a "tek" it's probably already been done and documented in these archives and over at shroomery.

This is going to be my growlog on this tub grow. I essentially explained my process i believe.

If you have questions feel free to ask, that's what this thread in this forum is for!

#15 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:42 AM

haven't even looked at this grow since i put in the closet, i honestly came here to see whawt day it was i put it in the closet, apparently after i go to bed and wake up it will have been two days, no need to even check until it's been in there at least 4 days, so i won't update this grow until saturday, that way there is most definitely some noticeable growth, watched pot never boils!!! unless it's palenque!

#16 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:07 AM

watched pot never boils!!! unless it's palenque!

never thought of it that way

#17 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

well, i follow "ohmatic's monotub tek" off the shroomery, but u can substitute any substrate for his substrate, thing is, if you see a "tek" it's probably already been done and documented in these archives and over at shroomery.

This is going to be my growlog on this tub grow. I essentially explained my process i believe.

If you have questions feel free to ask, that's what this thread in this forum is for!

yeah and before ohmatic put his name on it, people had been using this method on the omc long before i ever saw anyone at shroomery using it. dig deeper!

#18 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:01 PM

yeah and before ohmatic put his name on it, people had been using this method on the omc long before i ever saw anyone at shroomery using it. dig deeper!

Well i wasn't aware of this place when i started growing, and shroomery was my only source of info, and monstermitches method was overkill on tubs, ohmatics was easy and lazy. I am sure he says it isn't "his tek" somewhere in his write up, just a dumbed down version of all the teks he studied.

anyhow, that's the tek i followed, ohmatic's monotubs.

#19 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:05 PM

yeah man the first time i came on the internet was 1995-96 with aol online lol. topia was around then. was the first place i found..

also, i know he uses those tubs from ikea. the lids are very loose. much different than these iris tubs i use. very air tight. and if you leave the top on for more than 2 days without fanning. it contams. ive actually bought some of the ikea tubs to test out. but the lids don't stay on very well unless you tape them down. you have to buy the extra clips that come with them to secure them. this may be why it works well. the lids being loose.

with these iris tubs. im finding with no press n seal lids and using the actual tub lid, requires fanning at the least two times a day. i know that sterilite has a few tubs that are very loose lids also. and thse may work very well also. they are definitely cheaper than the bins i prefer lol..

a tubs a tub. wether you use one or two. but tubs rock!

#20 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:14 PM

ahhah tubs do rock!

i always look at a dub tub and think "man, that could be two monotubs with two canopies!"

my lid is very loose fitting, it's a sterlite.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!