61 replies to this topic

#41 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

here's a bit of GD that was made about 2 weeks ago.

using the same method, a 1/4 of schwag was ran through the food processor. it was then added to about 6oz of everclear and evaped down to about 2 oz of liquid.

the result is quite potent. 1 table spoon is all that is needed, and lights out.

lol i think the dose should be brought down a bit to enjoy more of the effects.

peace*
:meditate:

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout.

One tablespoon is 18 ml.

You are getting there.

2ml is enough to get ya off.

Schwag, though, is weaker and you only get out what ya put in.

The proportions are right. Just a good bud is needed to get a great Green Dragon.

Lookin 2 Grow, the same applies to leaf. It is better making canna-butter or canna-oil out of it. The extraction is much more efficient with fats.
  • bosshogg likes this

#42 homobrassinolide

homobrassinolide

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

Never liked using ethanol to extract THC, it pulls out to many of the harsh water soluble compounds. What do you think a bong does? Butane is so much better it strictly pulls out all the non-polars.

#43 whatchamacallit

whatchamacallit

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

Nice tek, just a few notes. By heating the THCA it decarboxylates into a useful form of THC that gets one way higher. And I don't believe that THC should stay in your system any longer from a tincture than from smoking. Washing the herb in water for a bit first removes lots of the chlorophyll (and some other polar solubles) so that it doesn't come out green, but rather tan or brown.

#44 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:39 PM

Never liked using ethanol to extract THC, it pulls out to many of the harsh water soluble compounds. What do you think a bong does? Butane is so much better it strictly pulls out all the non-polars.

This is another reason it is baked. The waters are all evaporated out of the bud in the oven and you are left with the rest of the compounds to be dissolved in the alcohol.

#45 homobrassinolide

homobrassinolide

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 310 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:55 PM

This is another reason it is baked. The waters are all evaporated out of the bud in the oven and you are left with the rest of the compounds to be dissolved in the alcohol.

Not everything that is water soluble is vaporized by baking homie. I'm not dogging your tincture, I'd smoke that shit. :rasta:

#46 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:44 AM

We are looking for the compounds that are dissolved in alcohol. Not water.
Water is really not a big problem. It is being able to extract the beneficial properties from the plant and reap the healing qualities. Not just to get high.
  • psilocypher likes this

#47 Lookin 2 Grow

Lookin 2 Grow

Is Growing ;)

• Expired Member
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:33 AM

Lookin 2 Grow, the same applies to leaf. It is better making canna-butter or canna-oil out of it. The extraction is much more efficient with fats.

Cheers Mushit,

So that's why I didn't have a chance in hell last time.

then I'll keep the male leaves from tonight's kill for butter / brownies & cookies :)

Buds won't be ready for another 2 months or so..

Thanks

L2G

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

#48 theycallmejake

theycallmejake

Wide Eyed Wanderer...

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:27 AM

delicious....

#49 kcmoxtractor

kcmoxtractor

Halloween Terror

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,904 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:24 AM

Awesome writeup man! :thumbup: I do love some green dragon, gets the job done so well, and the synergy with a little bit of booze is wonderful. You can take your leftover herbs and make budder with them, it'll still work pretty well if you do the heat/soak method.

If you want to make some really really bomb tinctures though, you should get a coldfinger herbal extractor.

http://ep.yimg.com/c...n_2087_12375446

You put it on a hotplate and fill it with desired ratio of alcohol:pot that you want to have. (Since you are not having to evaporate to concentrate, you can plan dosage)
You put ice in the top part of it, and the alcohol evaporates and then condenses, then drips through the herbs.

Can do four oz in a few hours and get all the goodies :rasta: and the product improves also if you leach the plant material with water first.

#50 theycallmejake

theycallmejake

Wide Eyed Wanderer...

• Expired Member
  • 508 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:27 AM

Awesome writeup man! :thumbup: I do love some green dragon, gets the job done so well, and the synergy with a little bit of booze is wonderful. You can take your leftover herbs and make budder with them, it'll still work pretty well if you do the heat/soak method.

If you want to make some really really bomb tinctures though, you should get a coldfinger herbal extractor.

http://ep.yimg.com/c...n_2087_12375446

You put it on a hotplate and fill it with desired ratio of alcohol:pot that you want to have. (Since you are not having to evaporate to concentrate, you can plan dosage)
You put ice in the top part of it, and the alcohol evaporates and then condenses, then drips through the herbs.

Can do four oz in a few hours and get all the goodies :rasta: and the product improves also if you leach the plant material with water first.

what a nifty contraption!! almost looks like an alien spaceship!LOL

#51 chlorello

chlorello

Would-Be Action Hero

• Expired Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:47 AM

I plan to soon run a trial of the tincture described earlier in this thread against a run of the Green Dragon, which I've made before. Using the same quantity and quality of weed in both batches, it should be a fair trial. I only wish I could send all of you who are interested in this comparison a sample of each to judge yourselves.

#52 riseabovethought

riseabovethought

innerspace explorer

• App Administrator
  • 4,227 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:42 AM

I just made a pretty effect tinture with this recipe so thank you. I made one modification adding the amanita and red wine to the herb and everclear but it turned out strangely perrrrfect! I never heard anything about red wine being used before but it seems to have worked like magic, seriously.

#53 chlorello

chlorello

Would-Be Action Hero

• Expired Member
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 01:25 PM

The Green Dragon recipe calls for baking the ground up weed at 340 F for five minutes. I thought that THC volatized at around 300 F. Won't baking at 340 F burn off some of the THC?

#54 LegLessHippo

LegLessHippo

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

I have been dying to make and herbal extraction... but before i do i have one question...

For someone who wants to put a drop of extract on a bowl... would the dragon work just as well as hash oil?

#55 mindovermycelia

mindovermycelia

Imaginary friend

• Expired Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

I wonder if pressure cooking a tightly sealed canning jar of cannabis and everclear would work? The cool down would have to be slow. Then evap. down to a tincture/oil in air.
:eusa_thin

:flamer:Seems like that would be dangerous. Doing the double boil isn't even foolproof. Alcohol is flammable.

#56 mindovermycelia

mindovermycelia

Imaginary friend

• Expired Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:52 PM

I've tried some tincture around here that had almost no high, just pain killing properties. (Why is it illegal again?) I was wondering if this was likely made with the big trim, fan leaves and stems and all. I know someone who makes bhang using the fan leaves but my understanding is to get the little thc out of the leaves into fat it has to be really pulverized with the milk. Has anyone made tincture from mostly fan leaves? Is it worth the effort and cost of alcohol? Would vaped herb be good to mix in if you have some?

#57 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:13 PM

The Green Dragon recipe calls for baking the ground up weed at 340 F for five minutes. I thought that THC volatized at around 300 F. Won't baking at 340 F burn off some of the THC?

If I remember from the text, THC vaporizes at about 375 F. 340 F is well below this.
However, it is quite hard to keep it precisely at this temp with a conventional oven. I have found that 200 F for 20 min works very well and there is no worry about losing any THC. This is in the original text as well.

I have been dying to make and herbal extraction... but before i do i have one question...
For someone who wants to put a drop of extract on a bowl... would the dragon work just as well as hash oil?

The alcohol will not burn in the Green Dragon and you would not get it lit. :rolleyes: You would have to render it down to just the oil again to do this. May as well use ISO if you are going to do this. Green Dragon is meant to be taken as a tincture, thus the reason for ethanol.

Has anyone made tincture from mostly fan leaves? Is it worth the effort and cost of alcohol? Would vaped herb be good to mix in if you have some?

It is really not worth using anything other than good bud for this. Sure you can use leaf but you would have to drink the whole bottle to get any effects. Same with the vaped herb. All the goodies have been removed.

#58 Guest_jay pheno_*

Guest_jay pheno_*

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:38 PM

Cannabis, the temperature range across which the actives will vaporize is at least 73 °C (163 °F) starting at around 127 °C (261 °F) where only aromatic compounds of minimal bioactivity will release and going all the way up to 200 °C (392 °F) with the higher end of this range representing where the cannabinoids of higher bioactivity appear to be released.

http://en.wikipedia....on_temperatures

#59 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 March 2010 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for that Jay. :)

#60 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:12 PM

Glad to see this ol'e thread still has legs..

And thanx for all your contribution Mushit - it's a fine product..
AFA baking temps go , the 340F was measured with an accurate thermo.
The point is to have the temp high enough to convert ALL the available THCA
into the good stuff...It is close to the total vape or failure temp , so it pays to
preheat and stabilize the oven and monitor with a independent thermometer..

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!