• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:48 AM

so if you planned a big tray of poo you were going to spawn some mycobags to but had bad results on your last "larger" grow and were nervous about trich with it still being summer... would you consider mixing up all the poo and spawn in a big tray them using that to fill those kinda small square gladware containers with it, they put them somewhere dark to incubate with the proper fae for colonizing until they were 100% then fruit them just like big versions of pk jar cakes? and treat them the same through fruiting? if not, why not? if so, is there anything you'd do diff than a brf half pint cake? thanks :)

#2 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:41 AM

OK are you saying to mix all of the ingredients together then put in the smaller trays?
If so I"d say your chance of getting a contam will be going up.
Even in the cleanest of environments there is still something.
So by mixing it all then handling it all a second time you're opening the door to a good chance of contamination.
That's just my opinion, but the less you handle things the better the chance of success

#3 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:04 AM

The smaller trays do have the advantage of isolating contams to each tray..
I prefer several small trays ,rather than one large ...Just easier to manage, clean and dunk..Plus u can pop 'em out and fruit as cakes..

#4 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:56 PM

btw, what is the best way to clean the plastic containers before you spawn to them?

#5 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 04:12 AM

well i went with the 1 quart containers instead, cleaned them out with 50/50 water/h2O2.

crumbled up about 4 quarts of mycomix (5 pre-made supercake from a sponsor) into tiny pieces and spawned it to about 7or8 lbs of horsepoo(might be 50/50 straw, not sure which the vendor sent, can you tell from the pic? it's not as wet as it looks), so the ratio should be between 2:1 and 3:1(?)

the lids have 2 small holes that are covered with micropore and all the containers are in a loosely closed cardboard box in the top shelf of a closet to incubate.

would you treat these the same as a pk half pint? meaning, when they appear 100% colonized let them incubate another 5-7 days then birth?

they will be dunked and then either rolled or DEC, either way with straight verm. and then placed into this PMP FC on lids.

any other suggestions/warnings/predictions? thanks :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1083 (Large).JPG
  • IMG_1082 (Large).JPG
  • IMG_1081 (Large).JPG

#6 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:46 AM

yup that looks like a straw/poo mix.

Just be sure there is plenty of room between the containers and a good amount of FAE. As the myc will be producing a lot of heat during the colonization.
Personally when it looks to be 100% colonized I'd birth them.

Good Luck

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

To clean , i fill the sink with soapy water n' bleach and throw everything connected with the transfer, in to soak..Then the old spawn jars are dropped in after, for clean up...

Are those Qts gonna be fruited in their tubs or popped out as a cake...?
Placed upside down , u can just lift the tub slightly to allow some air flow around the whole thing [after full colo]...

#8 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:45 PM

Are those Qts gonna be fruited in their tubs or popped out as a cake...?
Placed upside down , u can just lift the tub slightly to allow some air flow around the whole thing [after full colo]...

hmmm, the plan was to pop them out and put the cakes in the FC
but who knows, plans can change. what would be the pros and cons of each way? the FC they are going in has no problems with FAE or RH because it's a PMP.
i'm thinking that popping them out would be preferred since it allows for rolling or a DEC and misting??
the nice thing about these is that can be dunked right in the containers. the plan is to put a spacer between the cake and the lid and fill it with water and put the top back on.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1084 (Small).JPG

#9 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:57 PM

That'll work fine..It would be important to top case a tall cake , as gravity will draw moisture out of the upper half..
I have cased the inverted top then put the tub back on to conserve moisture and stimulate pinning in the small gap created by the C layer...

#10 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 03:04 PM

so you are saying you've flipped it, cased was is now the top, which was the bottom, and then loosely put the container back on,upside down, but without a lid under it as a "moisture preserver"?

i like the idea, especially since they will be going on a grate above the hydroton. if they are placed directly on the grate without a casing on the bottom, that should still allow plenty of air coming up from the rocks from the submerged air stones.

i imagine once pinning starts it's best to remove the tubs?

however if maintaining RH is the ONLY reason to do this it might not be needed as the RH is pegged at 99% 24/7

thanks for all the info so far :)

#11 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:10 PM

a one week bump. any other opinions/suggestions on the future of this grow? thanks :)

#12 newb1269

newb1269

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 06:45 PM

nice post, I always wondered about doing that, I'm gonna do some test ones too once my lc is ready

#13 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:43 AM

just birthed the first one the other day, we'll see how it goes :)

#14 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 12:58 PM

well i can't say the whole experiment was a success. some took forever to colonize and still haven't, could be the cooler temps now, need a tit. out of the 4 that were 100% colonized 3 had trich. so far, only one has gone through to fruiting. at least it has done well

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1132 (Large).JPG

#15 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:55 AM

:thumbup: Good going man.

Kinda wondering about the ones that didn't colonize though.
How did you provide the FAE in the cakes while colonizing?
I'm assuming that there were holes in the lids and it was done PF tek?
Well either way at least you got one real nice flush for the first try with this method.

#16 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:48 AM

That'n turned out well..:eusa_danc
When doing the inverted and cased tubs like that - there is no real need to humidify the chamber much..Occasionally lifting the tub to waft in some fresh air helps but really any CO2 will drain out the bottom, it just helps to stir things up..

Think i'll try that method again on my next go.
That small gap around the sides does make a perfect microclime for pins..
Once they are growing, the tub is removed and RH raised a bit...Also add water to the casing...

#17 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:36 PM

not sure myself about the others, they are colonizing for sure, just slowly. it's often 70 in the room, and yes, just like pf cakes. there is 2 holes in the lid covered with micropore. 4 or 5 colonized nice and fast, but as i said, all but 1 of those had trich :( could be that the lids don't make the best seal. maybe a test next time would be to tape around the lid.

#18 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

quick update

no more trich in the remaining ones, the last 3 eventually colonized, one was 99% colonized and i didn't feel like waiting anymore, at this point only 2 had been successful so i didn't really care if they fruited or not, just wanted them in the FC and if i got something then great, if not, in the trash and start over and do it right.

here are the last 3, didn't quite get it all in the pic but you get the idea. not as good as i'd like to see but for something i was about to throw in the trash it's not bad. over all i think the gladware idea had it's flaws. not as air tight as it could have been while colonizing, maybe tape around the lid? and it might be too high which is causing the sub to compress more than it should. as time goes on and the myc eats the sub it really starts looking like it could fall apart. i'd have to say that over all i can't call it a success. sure there were and will be plenty of fruits to enjoy, but not what it should be for the amount of sub, contam rate was too high and colonizing time wasn't what it should be...but hey, still gave me shrooms :)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1224.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!