Photo
- - - - -

why you should hate cops

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#101 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:56 PM

sounds like an interesting read, Shed, not that I have time for that what with all my jobs, kids, wife, mycotopia, hobbies - ugh. If I had a good book to read I would never get anything done, I save reading for long rides, hospital, jail, etc. nowadays even though I know that sucks. I make exception for new Tom Robbins. I have read alot in the past, but now must limit it to research of interesting topics on the internet. I borrowed a book from the library about self-sustained living - that shit sounds like way too much physical labor for my lazy ass - I don't think I would kill myself and my family like that guy in Dylan's Seven Winds ballad, but I might be tempted.

#102 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:58 PM

'cmon ;) you gotta read enough off these threads. hip can be bull dog in R&R and you could tell he was not going to fuck around with this thread.

gotta just peace out sometimes. :smokin: hope things chill out for you. high stress is a bitch.

true, I should have known better to just keep to myself on this one, hindsight 20/20.
my sig applies to me here :)

#103 stiffus

stiffus

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:17 PM

...back on topic...
What is it then that makes cops so evil? Is it we the people?

and off again...
...aw shit, MOM, I'm going through 'jus 'bout the exact same thing at my home too. Young kids and a woman in school and a leaky muffler on my pickup truck and a backed up terlit...I understand what pressure is. Funny thing with kids though - if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't care half as much if I saw innocent people beaten up everyday or if our government is being hijacked by the religious right or if someone dribbled bitchy cliches on my favorite bulletin board. It's because we care about what happens here.
Right?
Or maybe it's more fun to watch you guys blast each other.
Tough call.

#104 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 11:39 PM

Yeah, MOM, I understand the high stress stuff. :) I had to tune out for a few months till mine came down to tolerable. It has risen quite a bit with the woman in the hospital, but somehow it is still manageable.

{shed sending MindOverMycelia some postitive vibes and happy thoughts}

:heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat :heartbeat

#105 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:45 AM

shed, ya should have just locked it.

we do not
lock threads just because some person/s is/are breaking the rules,
instead we boot the offender/s
and let the discussion proceed in peace.

#106 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:59 AM

insulting someone's statements is not discussion,

one cannot insult a statement, only a person.
i called your cliches nonsense,
that's my opinion and while it may be a rather stark assessment,
and while you may differ in your assessment,
i do not see it as particularly insulting.

you have been trying for several posts now, M.O.M.,
to turn the topic from the cops to me,
you have asked me personal questions that are none of your business,
ranted and raved about my apparent inconsistencies, personality, etc.

i never called you a coward,
i said that i would not jump on the anti-bush wagon,
i don't believe that you were even mentioned
in that section of my post.

you have chosen to apply my general remarks to yourself personally,
when in fact you are not the only person active in this thread,
and your response has been unacceptable.

you have cursed at me,
you have come onto my board where i have welcomed you
and you attacked your host for no greater crime
than daring to tell you that your cherished beliefs are
mostly sentimental rubbish.

if you can't take the heat,
stay out of the kitchen.

further attacks directed at me will be the end of your career here.

this statement

i must say, sorry I get so pissed, I did mention I am having a hard time all around lately, right?

is the reason i'm letting you slide.
but in the future
plz remember to keep a civil tongue
when addressing others here.
even me.

#107 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:47 AM

show me one case where just hating someone hurts them

easy enough.
the next time i see a cop down
i don't call for help.
i let him die.
that hurts.

who can say that hatred has not harmed
the black man, the jew, the indian ?
a black man comes before a white man
looking for a job to feed his family.
if the white man hates blacks and so passes over the man's job application,
isn't that harm ? doesn't it hurt ?

#108 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:51 AM

"Evil is a notion used to control the superstitious"

while one may control,
that does not make the concept of evil
a superstition.
evil is a very real phenomenon,
and men like jeffery dahmer and the BTK killer
are stark proof of that fact.

#109 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 13 October 2005 - 07:58 AM

"let you slide"
thanks for that, hip, i really mean it
I guess I just assumed incorrectly you were speaking to me about the partisan thing since you said it in what seemed like a reply to my post

I was not trying to attack you either, or curse you, I was just cursing cuz I was frustrated -again I apologize and will try to refrain in the future from displaying my true emotions here in that manner.

What I was trying to do is simply argue what I see as the "nice guy" point of view - funny that I might seem to be such a jerk doing it - I am very passionate about what I believe
but really in life I have always been the "nice guy that finishes last" type, sometimes, tho, I overreact and seem to be the opposite
since this is your thread to convince others to hate cops, I just felt the need to make you work to do it, i guess, and to convince me you will have to answer my questions, I didn't think they were too personal as you have touched on them in threads before
lots of people feel like you, as I said - I am often tempted and have felt the same in the past, but i don't like the way hate feels inside me, and it never changed a thing for me except maybe my blood pressure.

on topic:
please x3, anyone: how has hate, alone by itself, ever hurt the hated?

#110 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:02 AM

wow uo got two in while i typed that last one, almost like chat going slow feeding infant in one arm typing with other

#111 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:05 AM

those still seem like malicious acts baesed on hate, not hate itself, but I guess you can call me nitpicky here

edit: I guess I never really hated anyone, cuz I don't think I could just let someone die, even if it was a cop that planted some shit on me, but maybe - I guess I wouldn't know till it happened
i would put some drugs in his pocket, tho, if I thought it would work lol

#112 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:20 AM

doing nothing is hardly an 'act'.
but doing nothing
when someone needs help
is hurtful.
hatred can cause people to neglect the hated,
that is not an overt malicious act as such.
if you come to me and say
i'm hungry
and i say
i will not feed you
because you are gay, or black, or white, or old, etc.
my hatred has hurt you
even though i never lifted a finger.
that is how hate hurts the hated directly.
and of course we all know how hatred turned into action has harmed,
one needs only to watch the daily news.

btw
i consider myself to be a nice guy,
and there are at least one or two others that might agree.
and in truth
i proly would not/could not just watch a cop bleed to death on the street
without at least calling 911 on his behalf.
but that act of human compassion
i would do
not for his sake
but for my own.

#113 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:33 AM

I thought so
no hard feelings here, hip
like I said, we might be friends in the real world if we knew each other better

"not for his sake
but for my own"

exactly

#114 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:59 AM

relax,
i'm not one to hold grudges.
in truth you never really got to me
like rodger did.
and i forgave rodger
as he forgave me.
also
i don't think my intent in this thread is to actually convince people to hate cops.
perhaps the title should have been
why i hate cops.
i'm content to let others draw their own conclusions
about their feelings.
but i daresay i won't apologize to anyone for
feeling rage after watching those pigs beat that man bloody.

#115 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:12 AM

"i won't apologize to anyone for
feeling rage after watching those pigs beat that man bloody"

wasn't asking for that, no need for that
it angered me as well

#116 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:22 PM

I am having a brain fart with respect to the title of a book I read long ago about Evil. I used to think it didn't really exist. That book changed my mind.

Thumbnail of the idea: Evil is when a person starts putting their own desires and wants ahead of everything else. Compassion goes out the door. Some really fucked up things happen. Corporations and the men running them turn evil when it's all about the all-mighty dollar with no sence of social responsibility. They pillage and kill in third world countries to convert blood into money.

And you will never convince me that my self-absorbed father is not evil, when he raped my ex-wife. There was no closure cuz she wouldn't talk to anyone or press charges. She never even told me the whole story, I have had to piece it together and there are still huge holes.

I know hatred. I work on forgiveness. In my heart my dad is dead, even tho his body is still self ambulatory 3100 miles away. Twice I tried to put up the white flag over the last 15 years since that incident and twice he has shot me down with acidic hateful speech as if I were the problem. I won't go to his funeral. That itchy wound has mostly healed in that very long time, but it has taught me that Evil is REAL and it has a very human seed. The cure is love and forgiveness and humility. It's one of the reasons I love mushrooms so much as it is impossible to stay evil once you realize that we are all ONE and that doing harm to another is doing harm to ourselves. What a world it would be if everyone REALLY felt our interconnected one-ness.

As far as who hatred hurts, there are no winners. If you can forgive even the most horrible evils done to you or your kin or country and allow the healing to begin, then the hurting cycle has a chance of stopping.

#117 kaysuds

kaysuds

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 01:50 PM

It's one of the reasons I love mushrooms so much as it is impossible to stay evil once you realize that we are all ONE and that doing harm to another is doing harm to ourselves.

nice!

#118 Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Guest_mindovermycelia_*

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:23 PM

that's crazy shed, not that it matters to the thread, but I am left wondering if she was still your wife at the time. You don't have to think about it or talk of it more if you don't want, but I'm just curious now.
Anyway, forgiveness is definitely more for the forgiver than the forgiven. Do it for yourself and you will be better off I think. Who knows though, my first emotion is anger and I feel the need for vengeance when I think what I would do in that situation. But I always need a while to cool off and I know it.

#119 stiffus

stiffus

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:50 PM

I didn't say evil was a superstition.
But I do think it's incorrect to call a person evil whether it's BTK or shed's dad.

Please...understand that (all)your personal stories are valuable to me, and I thank you for sharing. I don't want to minimize anyone's personal beliefs.

That being said,

Inaction or refusal of help is a very real expression. There is no difference between poisoning someone and refusing them the antidote.

::pause for survivor::

#120 stiffus

stiffus

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 08:32 PM

...sorry, I had to assemble a toy for my kid's b'day party...

anywhiner, proving the non-existence ofevil isn't anything I'm able to tackle, but I've been hearing a lot of the word lately, and it makes me think...isn't it just too easy to label things evil in this social climate?
Isn't it sort of a lazy damning of the subject to say ____ is evil and never look beyond the good or bad/black or white of ____?

Could it be that there is more to the picture - any picture?
ie. What if B2K gave blood once a month...or Jeff Dahmer liked to sing karaoke to old Bee-Gee's songs.

It's a shame that Bill O'reilly, and other popular (preachers) polarizes their audiences with these notions of evil in order to muster a little hate.

I'll stand by this:
Evil is a notion used to control the superstitious.

Human nature deserves to be better respected than to be labeled as basically evil.

I hope that's not too vague.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!