7 replies to this topic

#1 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:53 AM

Found this PC at a thrift store.
Even tho it has a gauge, can anyone tell me if it needs a rattle weight too?
When I try to bring up the pressure, the pin in the valve on the left starts popping up and releases steam, so that pressure never builds.
If I hold the pin down, then the pressure gauge actually starts to move and build pressure, but as soon as I stop holding the pin in, it pops up, all the steam releases and the pressure goes back to zero.
Pretty sure that is the petcock on the right. It can be unscrewed to release pressure.
There is also a bolt kinda thing a couple inches behind the gauge (can't see in pic), it doesn't have any holes, moving parts. What is this thing? Old style emergency release valve? Like if pressure builds too high then this thing shoots into my ceiling like a bullet?
Also wondering if these parts can be replaced with more modern aa/mirro/presto parts?

Attached Thumbnails

• peerless_25qt_pc_gauge_closeup.jpg
  • peerless_25qt_pc.jpg

#2 max

max

canadian

• Banned Member
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

That part may be broken. Try a shot glass over it or a nail in the hole. Don't worry, nothing is going to shoot out. You'd need a lot of pressure to make it shoot but as soon as there is enough to move it, it'll just fall over. You'd have to delibertly hold it in there while the pressure built in order to make it shoot. It simply doesn't happen...been there...done that...

#3 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:48 AM

That's identical to mine. The safety valve on the left relieves pressure with a small puff every now and then. Nice find..

#4 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:50 AM

You're good to go if the guage works right and it doesn't leak when pressure is built up...

#5 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:56 AM

That's identical to mine. The safety valve on the left relieves pressure with a small puff every now and then. Nice find..

Does yours have a spring in it? If you tried to pull the pin up is there resistance?
Mine doesn't relieve pressure with a small puff out of that valve, it starts releasing it as soon as it builds up.

#6 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:30 AM

Yeah, it should have a spring the goes around that small rod that sits on the ball bearing.

#7 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:24 PM

That looks like a 1/8" NPT fitting in the lid. You could replace that valve that's missing the spring with a valve and weight from All American. You'd need the PCS 68 weight, and the PCS 69 valve. I'd also get a new gauge at the same time. http://www.fungi.com...ls/cookers.html
RR

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:51 AM

this just might help someone else someday so..
archive material

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!