• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ipswitch

ipswitch

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:21 AM

I having using the pf tek very successfully for over a year now. So I have decided to give WBS a try and so far the colonizing rate is amazing compared to the standard BRF and verm mixture. I used Doc's WBS tek with quart jars.

Put my problem is I am not very familiar with bulk growing. I have some wheat straw I picked up at lowes and some horse poo thats nice and aged I picked up from a old stable that I am going to pasterize. And when you pasterize the straw and poo do you crumble the poo up and mix it evenly in with the straw. What would be a good container to do the grow in I know not to use aluminum
And how many quart jars would I need to spawn to a single container of bulk?
And how would one do a flush on a bulk grow

#2 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:06 AM

Yeah you mix it up.
About a 50/50 mix works real well.
But it's best to chop the straw up before you use it.
A good cheap container is a kitty litter pan, plastic and reusable over and over for like a $1.
The best spawn to sub ratio is at least 25% spawn IMO that is.
You can either mix it in or layer it.
Both ways work real good.

#3 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:31 AM

FOAF has been using the small ziploc sandwhich containers to great success. It keeps any contams contained so you don't lose as much if a tray goes bad. FOAF also mixed with coir/cow poo 50/50 mix then mixed about 25% spawn into substrate. Cases just flew together. good luck! :eusa_clap

#4 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:36 AM

go get a lizard screen from the pet store that way you can screen the manure. this helps make it fluffy and nice. also you can use a hedge trimmer to chop the straw into 1 in pieces just watch you fingers!!!

this is also kick ass way of pasteurizing your product. you dont have to use the barrel suggested i use a rough neck rubbermaid.
http://mycotopia.net...method-pdf.html

you can even make a bigger screen by picking up mesh wire fence at lowes and cutting it to te size you'd like few pieces of wood to frame it in prefect then add screws

#5 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

great idea livewire I never thought about screening the poo. A weedwacker also works well for cutting up straw.

#6 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:47 AM

here is a great bulk thread for ya

it's by fahtster
faht makes a bulk tub

#7 prism

prism

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 5,943 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2008 - 12:48 PM

The key to WBS is draining well after you simmer or soak IMHO. I dump mine in the sink a rinse with cold water from the gun on the sink and then let is sit for 30 min before jarring up for sterilization.

Too wet = Green Meanie

LC and WBS = Super speedie colonization

Good luck!!

#8 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 01:10 PM

i love Lazlo's tek on WBS. It's quick and easy :thumbup:

#9 ipswitch

ipswitch

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:06 PM

Thanks guys for all the very helpful info :bow:. So let me make sure I have the basics. I pasteurize the hpoo and chopped straw then I mix or layer at least 25% WBS spawn into the 50% hpoo and 50% straw substrate. Then cover the container with suran wrap and let colonize. After it is colonized I should remove the suran wrap and place a casing of moist verm on top of it. Then place it in a terrium.But I am still alittle bit confussed on how to dunk a bulk grow. After the first flush do I just take the whole container and sumerge it in water? And if that is how it is done do I need to drill holes in the container to let the excess water out? If I left anything out or missed anything please feel free to tell me.

I took some pics of a couple of my jars of WBS some are colonizing faster than others. And I also took a pic of a container that I found at the dollar tree that I may use to grow them in if you guys think that it would make a suitable growing container.

Attached Thumbnails

• 9-4-08 008.JPG
  • 9-4-08 006.JPG
  • 9-4-08 007.JPG
  • 9-4-08 005.JPG
  • 9-4-08 003.JPG
  • 9-4-08 004.JPG
  • 9-4-08 002.JPG
  • 9-4-08 001.JPG

#10 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:52 AM

Yup, you got it.
The only thing I"d change is to cover the bulk with tin foil instead.
Poke a few small holes or gas exchange and you're good.
The reason for this is to let it colonize in a dark environment.
The trays look just fine as well.

#11 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 09:23 AM

Looks good to me. I do advise putting a small hole in the corner of each tub for dunking and draining, that's just me though.:rasta:

#12 ipswitch

ipswitch

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

Thanks guys for all your help :bow:. I am going to pasteurize my poo and straw today and I am going to add a little lime to help with contam's in a pillow case then hang it up to dry for a few days then I should be good to go. I will let everyone know how it goes thanks again.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!