• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 06:43 PM

i dont think heat in drying is detremental (spelling?)

think about it, you lose psilocin anyways because it is so unstable. Thats the only thing that heat effects. the psilocybin is rather stable and withstands heat in excess of 200 degrees (boiling water, ie shroom tea). if you are drying and storing in the first place you should plan on losing anything the heat would destroy in the first place.

That said, the oven is probably i good way to go. the only thing is it would be better to get wire racks like for making jerky or make them yourself out of window screen, so that you can use the space as effeciently as possible since oven racks are farther apart than needed for drying shrooms.

#22 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:18 AM

Man, i'll tell ya that the mushrooms are good! Very good! Another thing I like about this process is that the mushrooms have no flavor at all. It's sorta like eating paper or something. Weird! But so far I can honestly say there's no loss at all in potency. In fact, i'd go as far to say they're much better than my old ways of drying without heat. The weekend trip was insane to say the least. I tripped on top of a 1200ft. needle overlooking Las Vegas that has the most scary and intense rides one could ever imagine. I've got cool pics that i'll share tommorrow...:smokin:

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:30 AM

i surely would not dry my stuff in the oven again.
the heat does affect the potency, i've done enough
testing to become convinced of that.
i suspect folks who seek such fast bulk drying methods
are less concerned about quality than quantity.

#24 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:57 AM

Hmm. So far so good here at a top temperature of 162. I don't know....

#25 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:30 PM

i surely would not dry my stuff in the oven again.
the heat does affect the potency, i've done enough
testing to become convinced of that.
i suspect folks who seek such fast bulk drying methods
are less concerned about quality than quantity.

Same here. Don't try it. There's too many differentials in this drying process....

#26 kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:15 PM

dude, did you go on the rollercoaster thing on the top of the needle? thatd prob send you freaking so fucking quick, id never do it even not on shrooms.

#27 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:46 PM

No. I didn't ride anything. I had good intentions, but quickly changed my mind when we got to the top. lol

#28 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:51 PM

Man, i'll tell ya that the mushrooms are good! Very good! Another thing I like about this process is that the mushrooms have no flavor at all. It's sorta like eating paper or something. Weird! But so far I can honestly say there's no loss at all in potency. In fact, i'd go as far to say they're much better than my old ways of drying without heat. The weekend trip was insane to say the least. I tripped on top of a 1200ft. needle overlooking Las Vegas that has the most scary and intense rides one could ever imagine. I've got cool pics that i'll share tommorrow...:smokin:

I stayed in that hotel for 5 nights when I was in Vegas for Vegoose... The Stratosphere!!

#29 jrogers311

jrogers311

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

In the winter time I open the door of my electric stove to its first stop-about 6" and turn it as low as it will go 150 F. Then I set my shrooms in a single layer in a wire screen type colander that sits in the open gap between the door and the top of the stove. Overnight drying though I use a fan i the summer. :lol: 2cent fee to be charged later!

#30 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

Same here. Don't try it. There's too many differentials in this drying process....

so you changed your mind,
decided there was a potency loss ?

#31 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 06:22 PM

Is what i meant to say is; the oven's temperature varied to much to maintain a constant 150 or below. But heat drying is fine, but you've got to stay under 150 or more. I use an American Harvest snack master dehydrator now, leaving me with great, cracker dry mushrooms. It has a setting of 95 degrees and they're done, ready for storage in 2 days.

#32 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:18 AM

Dehydrators fit for psilocybe's. http://search.ebay.c...ator&category0=

If you get one, make sure it has the minimal setting of 95 degrees on it. A great tip from Mycota I should add.

#33 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:23 AM

eh, i'm not convinced it's worthwhile unless one is drying large amounts.
a 2 day drying cycle isn't much faster
than using a fan to dry in a low humidity setting at room temp.
the RH and the airflow are more critical than high temps
for fast drying.
check out this dehumidifier-
http://www.acehardwa...oductId=1366933

#34 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:27 AM

eh, i'm not convinced it's worthwhile unless one is drying large amounts.

True, true.

#35 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:33 AM

and for truly massive crops
a room equipped with a dehumidifier and a fan
will dry alot more weight
than a dehydrator.

#36 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:38 AM

I wonder how that rig works at Ace not using batteries or wires? That would prolly be a nice addition for tight cannabis grows in small areas.

#37 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 August 2006 - 08:43 AM

i don't know,
generally dehumidifiers are fairly pricey toys,
that one is so cheap
here are some more cheap ones-
http://www.nextag.co...eva/search-html

some are electric
that first one linked above, model 300, uses desiccant-

needs no power to operate - no batteries or power cord. Fits in a closet or any other small enclosed space. Indicator window with ""moisture meter crystals"" that change from blue (when dry) to pink (when wet) to indicate when the unit needs to be ""renewed"". ""Renewed"" by simply removing the unit from where it is absorbing moisture and plugging it into a power outlet. Absorbs approximately 8 to 10 ounces of moisture in 3 to 8 weeks, depending on humidity levels. Absorbing gel is odorless, non-toxic and completely safe

#38 Cryingblackoil

Cryingblackoil

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 07:26 AM

Wheeee, I already have a dehumidifier. I am gonna build an enclosure. Thanks for the mental cattle prod guys :D

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!