• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tr3eman9

tr3eman9

Bodhisattva Warrior

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:33 PM

I need to make a glovebox, and i really only need to use it once and i'm not willing to spend very much or any money on it. I don't need it to be super effective, since all im doing is inoculating some jars which have filter discs, so namely - carefully unscrewing the bands, sliding the discs partly off of the lid to expose one small hole in the lid, injecting a cc of spore water, replacing the filter, and tightening the band.

it just needs to generally create a "pretty good" still-air environment that i can sanitize with a bleach solution, and then throw away when im done.

could i just cut two hole in a cardboard box, open one side and cover it with saran wrap, duct tape the saran wrap to the box, then staple large surgical gloves to the holes?

#2 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:35 PM

Tape a trash bag to one arm with your syringe, alc whipes, jars and lysol.

spray lysol in bag use hand outside the bag to position jars for innoculation

i'm sure you get it, by the way you shouldn't be smelling lysol after you spray inside the bag, or it isnt airtight

and I don't see why your not shooting thru the tyvek and covering with something opening them is a much bigger risk then
poking one hole in the top and covering with a bandaid or breathe tape

#3 M&M420

M&M420

Eternity Intern

• Validating
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

that will work fine.I like to spray it down really good with lysol to get the air somewhat clean then wait for it to settle and get to work

#4 tr3eman9

tr3eman9

Bodhisattva Warrior

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:45 PM

and I don't see why your not shooting thru the tyvek and covering with something opening them is a much bigger risk then
poking one hole in the top and covering with a bandaid or breathe tape

i'm not using tyvek, i'm using filter discs from sporeworks:

http://sporeworks.co...cs-p-16255.html

these things are reusable thousands of times (so claims rodgerrabbit), but not if you punch through them with syringes. this is the method he suggested for innocing with them, i just didn't want ot make a "real" glovebox.

#5 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:48 PM

oh sorry :bow:

#6 tr3eman9

tr3eman9

Bodhisattva Warrior

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

anybody on a good bleach ratio?

and, if this isn't too noobish of a question, what's the "technique" for spraying a disinfectant in a glovebox? do you just sort of spray it 3 or 4 times, try and hit all the surfaces inside, or should i spray the hell out it, or what?

#7 wickedest

wickedest

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

If you have an oven at your disposal, forget all about glove boxes and all that troublesome nonsense. The simplest, easiest way to assure cleanliness during inoculation is to do it on an oven rack. Turn your oven on at the lowest possible setting, and let it heat up.

Once it's preheated, pull one of the racks out as far as it will go without falling out of the oven. (Use a rack near the bottom) Have your jars and spore syringe all nearby, ready to go. Place 3 or 4 jars at a time on the edge of the oven rack, and begin carefully inoculating them with the syringe.

It's a good idea to have a lighter handy as well to sterilize the needle as you go. Flame the needle until it gets very hot, then carefully squirt a little bit of spore solution (if you can spare it) to cool down the needle before sticking it in the cake. Putting a hot needle into the cake will get burnt-on rice flour all over the needle.

#8 tr3eman9

tr3eman9

Bodhisattva Warrior

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:00 PM

i think hip or someone else proved the "oven sterilization" tek to be a myth

its in the vaults somewhere

#9 wickedest

wickedest

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:05 PM

i think hip or someone else proved the "oven sterilization" tek to be a myth

its in the vaults somewhere

I'll have to check it out then it kinda sounds like it needs some work but an oven with rolling heat coming out right after opening it sound good almost the effect as a flow hood with air rolling at you I dont know its questionable

needs more research

#10 wickedest

wickedest

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:07 PM

hey think you could find that link I cant find it I tried a search on the old archives & nothing popped up but I am still looking

#11 Looky

Looky

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

Hippie talks mad trash about the oven tek. I wouldn't flame the needle, just wipe with alcohol, a flame isn't necessary.

A good bleach ratio is 200:1 or 1.25 tablespoons to a gallon.

****** Lysol is really good at cleaning the air, BUT be very careful not to get any on your needle or on your mycelium or on your fruits. If you get Lysol, Oust, Alcohol, bleach, on your stuff you will end up with rosecomb.

#12 tr3eman9

tr3eman9

Bodhisattva Warrior

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:23 PM

so can i just use the bleach i use for laundry?

#13 wickedest

wickedest

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:48 PM

its bleach so yeap dont use any special mixes just plain bleach

#14 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,355 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:21 PM

Oven Tek is no good. May as well shoot your jars in a small, clean, still air room or closet.

You can make a disposable glove box in about 10 minutes using a cardboard box, exacto knife, duct tape, and cling wrap.

Cut a window hole in the top, cover with cling wrap. Spray the hell out of it, let it settle, and get to work. You can either cut arm holes, or cut one side open and drap with a clean towel. Then just toss it out when you're done.

A good bleach mix; take a gallon jug, pour in 1 Tbsp. bleach, fill with water, fill spary bottle.

#15 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

Oven Tek is useless. The moving air from a flow hood works because it has been filtered by an expensive HEPA. The moving air from the oven is just the same dirty air the room is already filled with.

A cardboard box with a plastic wrap window duct taped into it is infinitely more effective.

Lysol is a surface sanitizer and almost useless for sanitizing the air. Also, Lysol is a mutagen for mushrooms and very bad for your lungs.

Don't use Lysol AT ALL if you have cats, birds or reptiles. The phenols that make Lysol work are highly toxic to those pets.

Trying to sterilize the air in a room where you are moving around and breathing is a little bit pointless anyway. Just worry about the inside of the box and keep the room clean. A thorough vacuuming the day before with a good quality (HEPA bagged) vacuum cleaner will do more to keep contams at bay than 3 cans of Lysol sprayed into the air.

That's the same recipe I use, Freaky!

1 tablespoon bleach per gallon water makes a nice spray that is cheap, effective and NON-EXPLOSIVE. Lysol and alcohol will both make a reall big boom in your glove box if you strike a lighter very soon after spraying (Hi, my name is Bill and I'm sure my eye brows will start growing back any day now).

If you really want a canned sterilant for the air, use Oust. But the glovebox is a much better investment of time and money.

Be aware that bleach water has a limited shelf life - it will be most effective if mixed and used on the same day.

#16 tr3eman9

tr3eman9

Bodhisattva Warrior

• Expired Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

you da man, BB

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!