12 replies to this topic

#1 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:14 AM

Hey guys,
I would like to share with you my crazy aquarium rocks experiment, as some of you know I can’t get vermiculite nor perlite so I had to infer vise. Beside that..I had nothing else to do then just fiddling around. :eusa_eh:

Knowing I need a buffer with no nutritional value and the only things were these landscape-aquarium gravels. Of course I had to adjust the moister but in trial and many errors I think it might work.

Maybe I should of go a bit less on the gravel. Other then that it seems to be ripping as you see it’s already has rhizomes on the right. I inoculated it on the 9th with multi spores B+.

The bottom is layered with ½ inch of gravel and the rice was precooked on the raw side, mix it with washed gravel then put it in the canister loosely then pc-ed for an hour.

Well this is it! Any opinions will be well accepted.

Peace
Siam

Oh the yellow thing on top is my Tyvek, it was from a stick-on sunscreen for my ride. No postal Tyvek….geeeze!

Attached Thumbnails

• rhiz_resize.JPG
  • red rice_resize.JPG

#2 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:27 AM

Very cool, jim. What is the substrate?

#3 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:38 AM

hey dail8...it's whole grain red rice, I do not know if the nutes are different from the brown or white grain. Mainly I used it is because I can see the mycelium clearer.
Peace
Siam

#4 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:50 AM

Jim, glad to finally see the jars! Looks like you got the moisture content just right and the rice isn't sticking together. Good way to imporvise on no vermiculite!

Very nice looking rhizo and healthy too!

#5 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:13 AM

Jim, glad to finally see the jars! Looks like you got the moisture content just right and the rice isn't sticking together. Good way to imporvise on no vermiculite!

Very nice looking rhizo and healthy too!

Yes...thank you Freakachino...and I couldn't have done it without you. Thanks for teaching me the extra details.
thanks
peace
siam

#6 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:38 AM

:dance: No problem Jim! Its hard for you because you can't get the supplies we can and you are doing a great job!!!! Can't wait to see more! :)

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:09 AM

there's red rice ?
cool, learned a new fact today.
:bow:

#8 siam_jim

siam_jim

Mycotopia Mod

• Expired Member
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:19 AM

sure hip...there's even purple...and there's one so purple-ish that it could be called black...it tastes good too but expensive

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:24 AM

Red Rice can come from the Himalayan Mountains, India, the volcanic mountains of the Philippians, Central Asia and other tropical mountainous areas. In the Philippines it is a traditional staple in their non-hybridized, non-GMO world. It is considered an ancient grain.
Unlike white or brown rice, this rice takes longer to cook, and is chewier. In America, it is considered to be an exotic rice, with a nutty, earthy flavor, soft texture, and a beautiful red, russet color. It is also less likely to become “sticky” on you.

You may find it interesting to know that there is a “weed” rice that American rice growers hate. It is called Wild Red Rice. This rice grows taller and stronger than the brown rice and they cannot get rid of it. Any herbicide they use will also kill their brown rice!! They say you cannot even tell the red rice from the brown rice until very late in the growing season. And it is very puzzling to there why they can sow brown rice seeds and get a “throw back” to the original wild rice from those seeds! The American Rice Harvesters call it a noxious weed; we call it Heirloom rice!

You may also find it interesting to know the Red Yeast Rice that is being promoted to lowering cholesterol, is simply yeast grown on Red Rice. It cannot be grown in other rice because it has special nutritional requirements to be healthy and these are only found on the red rice! I do not promote red yeast rice, because I do not believe anything (statin drugs nor red yeast rice), which inhibits cholesterol production by the liver, are a good thing for your body. I believe cholesterol is healthy. But I do find it interesting that only red rice can be used for this fermentation process. I believe it is because the red rice has more nutrients.

Attached Thumbnails

• farawayfoods_1868_1611217.gif
  • Wild Rice, Red 2.jpg

#10 viraljimmy

viraljimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 01:31 PM

I never heard of red rice.
Interesting though.
More nutrients and it doesn't get sticky...

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:31 PM

how'd this all work out, jim ?

#12 SharkieJones

SharkieJones

• OG VIP
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 11:23 PM

That's great improvising i'd like to see an update.

#13 EarleBeggin

EarleBeggin

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:17 AM

mmm, I love red rice! greetings all

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!