Fisana

- - - - -

Flow?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 14 October 2005 - 06:54 PM

Well, its still a work in progress but ran its first test for flow and will be doing some trial work tonight before the finishing touches are done. I couldn't wait to finish it all up, and wanted to try it out :p

The workspace will be enclosed and not like it looks now. The prefilter box is being put on later tonight also. Just wanted to show a picture of the flow to make sure it appears correct as far as laminar. The flame is steady and bends the same no matter where I move it. :D
Hope my first trial runs turn out well. :dance:

Attached Thumbnails

• 2005_1014Image0010.JPG
  • 2005_1014Image0012.JPG

#2 spore

spore

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:01 PM

a bit more on the fan and air flow to the filter would be greatly appreciated. i finally have all the parts to assemble mine, so any advice would be great. any problems you have encountered during assembly?

spore....

#3 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:30 PM

http://mycotopia.net...html?1069556827
http://mycotopia.net...html?1069776180

These two posts helped me the most when trying to get a good idea of what I needed. Thanks HighFlyer and Rodger Rabbit! Their info was invaluable!

Heres the link to the flow hood section in the archives:
http://mycotopia.net...html?1107360983

Mine is a little different, I am utilizing 2 blowers right now until I can find the blower thats going to be just right. I had these two already so my only cost to build the flow hood was the $58 for the hepa. A 24x24x11.5. I also bought silicone sealant and killz primer for the wood. I had all other materials so thats one of the reasons I built one. Just waiting for the right blower and then it will get put on. I would say go with a smaller filter if you don't have a lot of space, and a 6 inch instead of 11.5 or 12. Its great though and can't wait to have it finished just right.
And I have to thank Mr. Freak! We did it together and had a great time. Though I drove him nuts at some points lol

#4 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 08:52 PM

<snip>
my only cost to build the flow hood was the $58 for the hepa. A 24x24x11.5.
<snip>

Was this an ebay find or is this the regular price somewhere?
Is the filter a 99.99% or a 99.97%?

#5 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:05 PM

It was an ebay find. Took them a helluva long time to ship it too.

It is 99.97%. I think I took a pic, I'll see if I can find it and post it.

#6 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:14 PM

Heres one of the tags that was on the hepa. Hope this gives you a better idea of the filter rating etc.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2005_1010Image0001.JPG

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:58 AM

archive material

more as this progresses, plz
:bow:

#8 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:04 PM

Definitely! Partied too hard this last weekend :p
I'll have some updates on it and some pix of work done in front of it! Flowhoods are damn nice :D

#9 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:06 AM

You might have an easier time working in front of it if you skip the enclosure. An enclosed workspace can get kinda tight for elbow room.
RR

#10 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Rodger! I'm thinking of skipping it at this point too. Working with it open seems to be pretty comfortable and working ok up until this point. Plus I don't feel like messing with it too much more while the hepa's in there and its all put together now.

#11 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:10 PM

Well, so far working with the hood has proved very reliable and easy. I love it. Plus I like that hospital smell of cleanliness :D
So my first g2g transfer turned out successful. I'm still waiting on my petris to come so I haven't done any test work with agar yet. Everything that has been opened up though has stayed sterile so I'm happy with it.
And Rodger, you were right, leaving the workspace open is a lot better for me. I'm glad now I chose to follow your advice!
Here are some pix of the g2g.

Pic 1 is after I shook it up.
Pic 2 is today. Though this jar finished in 7 days. Really fast, I like g2g speed and ease!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2005_1102Image0003.JPG
  • 2005_1023Image0002.JPG

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!