53 replies to this topic

#1 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:22 PM

I just spawned to some coir and was hoping if I say what I done and how I did it you folks could let me know if I done it right and if I missed something out.

I put 5 BRF cakes through a cheese grater and spawned it to about 8-9 jars of coir that I soaked in hot water for 30 minutes. The ratio isn't quite 1:1 as I hoped as I got abit carried away with the amount of coir I had left over from half a brick (didn't realize how much it would expand). After the coir was soaked a rinsed it with lots of water as I read reptile coir contains minerial, salts and/or chemicals that interferes with mycelium growth.

After the two were added I mixed very well and placed the mixture in the tub I will be using and lightly flattened down as again I read that cubes like a more compact substrate, I didn't press hard, just so it was nice and flat and not so fluffy and full of air pockets. The total depth is about 1.5 / 2 inches deep and is wt enough so that when it is squeezed you may get a few drops of water drip at most.

After all this I have put the tub/ washing up bowl in a black bag and squeezed most of the air out as this promotes growth I think because the mycelium grows looking for oxygen. This is where it will stay untill it's fully colognized and ready for the FC.

How long will it take to colognize you think and does it 100% have to be colognized so the surface is completely white and fluffy ?

Many thanks and sorry for the long post.

Opinions and advice appreciated :bow:

#2 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:33 PM

I take it by the lack of replys that all sounds good and I should just wait for it to colognize and then case with verm.

#3 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:35 PM

sounds good to me. just be sterile as hell when doing things and you should be good.

#4 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:44 PM

You really should be good to go. My friends dog waits to case until hyph knots start to form. But that's just one way. Good luck!:eusa_clap

#5 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2008 - 02:49 PM

Didn't use a flow hood or a giant glove box but everything was very well cleaned before hand.

#6 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 03:03 PM

You should be golden Raz.FOAF almost never uses a glovebox, just work in a lysoled bathroom, and use lots of gallon ziplock bags!
I never thought about putting it in a trashbag to colo. Just always put back in incubation chamber. Keep posting and let us know how well that works out.
Sorry the posts are so spread out. At work and customers keep interrupting me, you would think they know someone is busy with his hobby Jeesh!:amazed:

#7 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:54 AM

Well It's been 2 days and it looks great so far. I think it will be fully colognized in another 2 or 3 days, myc has recovered reaaly well. Lots of fluffy dots every where and the surface looks alot whiter than when I first mixed the spawn and coir.

What should the surface look like when it's ready to be placed in the FC or cased ??? At the moment I can still see uncolognized coir but still lots of myc growth. Looks about 70-80% white so far.

#8 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:28 PM

FOAF usually waits until hyphal knots form before casing if he does it at all. Cubes don't "require" casing, but it does help them hold their water better. Go to the vaults and look up late-casing teks. I would link ya but doing 9-5 atm.

#9 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:45 AM

Been reading some teks from the vaults mainly the "late case tek" but im a little unsure.

Don't want to do the late case tek as from what I have read it a little un-reliable. I plan to use 40/60 coir verm but when should I case ? The surface is completely white now, no knots just fuffy white myc, I plan to expose to light today or tomorrow.

I want to really use just straight verm but is there a massive difference in flushes/yeild/pin set compared to 40/60 ?

#10 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 07:46 AM

So you didn't pasteurize it?
Also, I've used coir in the past, but never rinsed it, just hydrated it and pasteurized. I've never had any problems with colonization. My guess is you could omit that step.

Also, you'll need some fresh air. Stagnant air can cause contams and little FAE can slow down growth. You won't need 2-3x a day FAE until you are ready to fruit. But some is required.

#11 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for the reply Mermaidia.

No didn't pasteurize the coir just let it sit in boiling water from the kettle for 30min to allow to cool. I only rinsed it just because I heard reptile coir contained some salts and such that could eefect growth.

I got the tub in a black rubbish bag and I air it out once a day, was going to leave it 3-4 days with no air but realized it could cause contams so ...

It's colognized fine so far but when so you think I should add a casing to the top surface and how deep ? Verm or 40/60 coir/verm and whats the difference ?

#12 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• OG VIP
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:29 AM

Can you get any pics bro? If not IMO if the top is completely colonized go ahead and case with 40/60 coir/verm if you got both. If not either one alone will work, the mix just seems to hold moisture slightly better. IMO I like straight coir it's easier to tell when it's getting dry. The only problem with coir IMO is that the myc tends to colonize it really quickly. Just watch out for that and patch spots as needed.

Case them about 1/2" deep or so, not much more or you will have problems with pinning IMO. Also start exposing them to light and put them in the fruiting chamber real soon if the top is good and fluffy white.(after you case them.)

Hope that all makes sense. I been :weedpoke: a little too much this morning me thinks!

#13 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:33 AM

I don't even case when I do coir- just fruit right off the surface.
Watch for drying (it changes color a bit) and mist if needed.

#14 goldenteacher1163

goldenteacher1163

myco guru

• Free Member
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:12 PM

I agree that when using coir it performs well without having to case at all

#15 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:29 PM

I was just going to double check ! Thanks for the reasurance.

Heres some crappy pics, hard to see whats going on but I don't think I will case now that Dr T said and you goldenteacher1163. Comming along quite well I think :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 27-09-08_1820.jpg
  • 27-09-08_1818.jpg
  • 27-09-08_1819.jpg

#16 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:26 PM

Oh, that's ready!
Pop it in the FC, or start fanning it.
Or whatever you plan to do. Just do it!

:thumbup:

#17 sevenveils

sevenveils

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 08:25 PM

Agree with Dr. T. If that were my FOAF, I suspect he would immediately induce fruiting conditions, with no casing.

#18 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 10:40 PM

yeah man that ook ready for the ol fc to me

#19 Raziel

Raziel

We will ... live forever

• Expired Member
  • 2,375 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 September 2008 - 06:44 AM

Wicked guys ! :headbang:

Im using a TiT set up, do you think I should turn my heater on ? With it on it get very humid inside to the point where drops of water drip from the lid, im guessing 95-98 humidity or will this do better at lower humidity levels ?

#20 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 07:04 AM

A bit lower temp and a lot of FAE and you'll be doing the pin dance real soon.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!