• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:53 PM

So we've promised to do all sorts of agar work, and we both want to start doing grain 2 grain transfers and stop with the LC's for now.

We got all of our supplies at two places. The most elusive supply was large rubber gloves. We ended up getting "Rubber Blasting Gloves" at harborfreight.

So here is the supply list:

1x pair of Rubber Blasting Gloves, 18-24"
1x pack of plastic fusion epoxy
1x very large clear sterlite tub
2x 4" pvc couplings (as pointed out, they have a 5" outside diameter.)
2x 5" scatter bands (metal rings that tighten)

I had to buy a Hole Saw set, but you will need a 5" hole saw.
The only tools you need are the hole saw and a flat head for the scatter band, and an electric drill that has a high wattage.

Here are is an image of supplies:

http://mycotopia.net...80&d=1222292443

I think it cost a total of 30 dollars to make this glovebox.
i had to buy a 12 dollar hole saw set so if you already have one then subtract the 12 bucks from the cost

Here is the first step, cut your 5 " holes in a comfortable place for your arms, depending on your size and how you stand/sit, and at what angle you might like.

http://mycotopia.net...81&d=1222292443

Next, take both of your couplings, and with a little finesse, they will slip right into the holes snuggly, as they are 5", as is the hole.

http://mycotopia.net...82&d=1222292443

Then we are going to glue it, this epoxy is a squirt and mix, sets in 15 minutes, and of course a good cure always takes 24 hours, this is to ensure the couplings don't slide out, you won't be bearing weight on them at all, so no worries. This stuff is odorific so a fan blowing and a window open is a good idea unless you can do your work outside, or in a garage with door open.

just run a beed around it, and it will fuse, you will probably want to be cleaner then me about it, but i wasn't really worried, i can see what i need to see, plus it dries clear:

http://mycotopia.net...84&d=1222292443

These gloves won't really let you feel what you're working with, so, since they fit really snug around the fingers, as they are supposed too, I simply cut them off down near the base, and I use a pair of vinyl gloves to work with ALWAYS. This allows you better feeling of what you're working with, grasp, etc..

http://mycotopia.net...85&d=1222292443

Now you want to put them on the glove box, you'll push them through, and wrap a bit around the outside mouth of the coupling and use a scatter band to tighten it down, you can snip the excess scatter band down for safety and asthetics:

http://mycotopia.net...86&d=1222292443

do the next one of course and be sure to really get the scatter bands snug these usually take a flathead screw driver to tighten:

http://mycotopia.net...87&d=1222292443

Now put your hands through and test it out! It should feel comfortable and you should be able to grab anything within the box, and lift your hands high enough to clear any jars etc that may be inside:

http://mycotopia.net...88&d=1222292443

now, in 15 mins of work, you have a perfectly professional still air glove box, you can do agar work in one, cloning, prints, grain to grain, etc. I do suggest getting a very large tub, that is tall, and wide. You can turn the gloves around to work with the lid as the ceiling of the box, or the floor, depending on what kind of work you're doing.

We'll be making another one, as i will "incubate" my agar in the glovebox, it never leaving the box at all.

Thanks for reading!
Much props to Wikid

mycopimpness:

http://mycotopia.net...89&d=1222292461

Now cleaning of the grow space commences, and some glovebox work begins!

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_2926.jpg
  • 100_2912.jpg
  • 100_2911.jpg
  • 100_2910.jpg
  • 100_2904.jpg
  • 100_2908.jpg
  • 100_2909.jpg
  • 100_2906.jpg
  • 100_2924.jpg
  • 100_2925.jpg

#2 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

Nice Job :eusa_clap, Looks just like the one I built :amazed:

#3 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

Outstanding..!
Don't think i've ever seen a 5 in hole saw - guess u have to go slow and easy aye..

#4 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

Great pictorial on how to construct a glovebox.

#5 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

The couplings are still considered 4" Pvc, the outside diameter is 5".

#6 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 05:24 PM

ah you're absolutely correct we'll edit that thanx! and yes SLOW AND EASY wins the race in this situation

#7 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:27 PM

I can't believe i didn't build one of these sooner!

#8 EmmisonJ

EmmisonJ

halcyon & on & on

• Expired Member
  • 958 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:30 PM

very nice work! this is the best glovebox pictorial i've seen on here. time for me to get on the ball with mine, i was held up because i couldn't find any decent gloves anywhere (that's not online). i've been looking for "mad scientist" type chemical gloves and can't find any long enough, your idea of rubber blasting gloves w/ fingers cut out and use with vinyl gloves is a great solution :eusa_clap

#9 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

Nice Job :eusa_clap, Looks just like the one I built :amazed:

:lol: me too hehe

#10 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:55 PM

very nice work! this is the best glovebox pictorial i've seen on here. time for me to get on the ball with mine, i was held up because i couldn't find any decent gloves anywhere (that's not online). i've been looking for "mad scientist" type chemical gloves and can't find any long enough, your idea of rubber blasting gloves w/ fingers cut out and use with vinyl gloves is a great solution :eusa_clap

THANKS!!!

I figured it was so easy there would be more of them out there.

rubber blasting gloves or there are some long armed welding gloves too.

but rubber blasting gloves were the easiest to find!

happy halloween!

#11 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

:eusa_clap nice to see you posting teks

#12 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:18 PM

i had similar trouble acquiring extra long gloves for my gb. i found the easiest solution was getting 2 pairs of cleaning gloves, cutting the cuffs off the 2nd pair, and duct taping them on the inside and outside to the first pair, thus giving 4 inches or so of extra cuff length. works pretty fantastically...

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1222315727

you can see i also used pvc couplings ;) you know what they say about great minds....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2156 small.JPG

#13 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:23 PM

Thanks livewire

and to be honest, my hands are way to huge for the gloves you've shown, that's why i had to go with blasting gloves.

It's hard enough finding vinyl gloves that fit.

but that is a good idea and great engineering. I didn't even consider that option.

Lab supply sites had great gloves, but i really didnt want a lab supply place on my CC.

#14 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:29 PM

I was just thinking, i'll be making another one identical, but placing the gloves so the lid is the ceiling of the box, hence making the gb's stackable, to do work and store. You could stack as many as you wanted for different phases of work. Wow, if you made drop through shoots and catchers, you could drop flesh down into the next one below on the stack, and never leave a glovebox until you add wedges to spawn, then send to incubate, i was thinking it'd be nice to just leave the master grain jar in one.

you can see i also used pvc couplings you know what they say about great minds....

yeah im starting to feel like a mad scientist sometimes, then i get anxiety.

#15 Jigalow

Jigalow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:29 PM

Nice guys,

Way nicer then ours... !!!

But gotta show you ours for laughs
Thick ass Plexiglas and hardwood...overkill....
but thats what happens with guys get together
get drunk and build shit lol

Attached Thumbnails

• PICT0008.JPG
  • PICT0006.JPG

#16 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:33 PM

lol, my hinds are tiny. the gloves shown are actually 2 sizes too big for me. had to use the bigger size so lysergic could use em too. you must have HUUUGGEEE hands!! :amazed: i think i might take your idea for cutting off fingers and wearing latex gloves underneath - since they're too big for me as is, i hardly have any feeling in my fingertips. and i like your idea of using a drill to cut those holes too. my method of cutting was a bit rougher than that. but i don't mean to steal your thunder! my gb will be up soon in a grow log. :pirate: nice write up :)

#17 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:35 PM

lol, my hinds are tiny. the gloves shown are actually 2 sizes too big for me. had to use the bigger size so lysergic could use em too. you must have HUUUGGEEE hands!! :amazed: i think i might take your idea for cutting off fingers and wearing latex gloves underneath - since they're too big for me as is, i hardly have any feeling in my fingertips. and i like your idea of using a drill to cut those holes too. my method of cutting was a bit rougher than that. but i don't mean to steal your thunder! my gb will be up soon in a grow log. :pirate: nice write up :)

thanks@!

no thunder stolen, i just couldn't believe how easy it was so i shared.
If it convinces one person to build one for twenty bux, im happy.

that hole saw is a life saver!

im thinking of adding a few new bolt locks to the doors!

they can be used for a lot!

#18 limeade

limeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:36 PM

Nice guys,

Way nicer then ours... !!!

But gotta show you ours for laughs
Thick ass Plexiglas and hardwood...overkill....
but thats what happens with guys get together
get drunk and build shit lol

haha man it works i bet!

i've seen some crazy shit built from bored drunk guys.

#19 oakchild

oakchild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:09 AM

Here is my glovebox:

I like having the HEPA filters on there to scrub the air before I start work. I use sholder length mylar gloves that I got from MycoPath (They don't appear to stock them anymore). The gloves get pinched in between the toilet flange and the test plug assembly with a short piece of PVC pipe. I have the test plug on there so I can block air flow into the gloves when I have the fans on (otherwise they will puff up due to the negative pressure in the box).

It is shown below without the lid obviously. I made a gasket out of 99cent liquid gasket and the lid gets screwed on to the tub to make a nice tight seal.

Blessings,
Oakchild

8-)

Attached Thumbnails

• Glove_Box-2.jpg
  • Glove_Box-1.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!