• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 08:07 AM

Use ½ cup of hydrated lime per 14-16 gallons of water.
Be sure to stir the lime into the water very well.
If you’re making a larger or smaller batch, adjust the lime accordingly.
This will give the water a ph of 12-13
bleach pasturization =
1 cup bleach per 10 gallons of water
submerge straw 4-12 hours.
drain well.
inoculate.
just that simple.

#2 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 08:24 AM

Is this a 2-step process, ie lime then bleach? or is this 2 different ways of no-heat pasturization?

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

either/or
two-step would be more effective and safer to breath around

#4 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 October 2005 - 08:09 PM

This is a very interesting idea. Bleach is an excellent all around disinfectant, it's only weak points being certain bacterial spores and mycospores. The high pH will wail on any surviving spores or endospores, plus any higher organic contaminants.

That super high pH and bleach is going to evolve a lot of chlorine gas, though. A tight lid and light-proof container will help keep it the chlorine out of the air and in the solution (less smell + better disinfection). Maybe use five gallon paint buckets? Pretty cheap and they seal well. The less air space in the bucket, the better.

Be careful with that chlorine and no ventilation...pretty bad for the lungs and it speeds up rust/corrosion.

A 24hr resting period would allow most all of the bleach/chlorine to evaporate. Then again, maybe the bleach staying active for a while to keep the substrate disinfected until colonization got started wouldn't be such a bad thing...

#5 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 09:55 AM

It does indeed work. I mentioned it a couple of months ago and like everything else I say, it went ignored...:yawn:

#6 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:03 AM

ive had success with castings/coir and this method. Basically all i did was use a 1 gallon sprayer and loaded it with 1.5 tablespoons of bleach and a tad bit of hydrated lime then measured out each tray and then sprayed and mixed until i got the h20 content i desired abnd then spawned. Pretty easy. Hell my foaf is about to do some up in a few actually.

edit: i forgot i soaked the coir in a bucket with the same mix 1 gallon/1.5tblspn bleach/pinch of lime for 30 minutes before mixing up with the dry castings in the trays.

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:15 AM

It does indeed work. I mentioned it a couple of months ago and like everything else I say, it went ignored...:yawn:

lol
it's been in the archives here a few years now, laz.
many others have reported their successes too.

i just re-posted it here on vbulletin
because of a related thread by sinth.
see
http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=5243

it's not exactly a new idea, btw,
stamets mentions both in TMC

#8 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:44 AM

I dont think Stamets mentions doing both at the same time though. I was mentioning it here too, talking of adding it to a ready compressed straw bag from the pet shop, make a hole and funnel the bleach/lime mixture in, Then make lots of holes to drain it and put colonised grain into the hole. Wrap it in a black sack and incubate. Then cut open the bag, in TMC it says cubensis myc holds straw together well so you may get away without shredding at all.

I am not sure which would be best to do first, or if it is better to do both at once. Somebody was talking of doing the combo with a lot of bleach and a lot of lime too, for only 4 hours, and reported success. The bleach kills existing nasties and the lime prevents future ones. The bleach needs time to decompose so adding bleach first may be better, it will have time to decompose and the lime water will dilute it further. If you add the bleach second it may dilute the lime. Combo may be best, less hassle

EDIT:I have read it is 4 cups of lime to 45gallons of water. The same for bleach.
That is 5.5ml per litre in metric.

hotnuz(lazlo) replied "I do all of my straw pasturizations with 1 cup of both bleach and hydrated lime per 10-12 gallons of water. Use hot tap water only and allow the straw to soak for 2 hours submerged well and then flip the contents. Allow to soak for another 2 hours. 4 hours total... "

#9 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:07 PM

The hot tap water works well, but isn't needed if you're soaking for 8+ hours or so. The hotter water knocks off the waxy coating a bit quicker....

#10 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 17 October 2005 - 01:39 PM

:D Thanks for posting this as I must have missed it before lol. Gonna give it a shot in a one process past. though. Outside in the cooler should work really well, no gases etc. to have in the house.

#11 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:17 PM

archive material

#12 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:41 PM

To those who have exploited this idea: does the straw seem to absorb any more/less water than when pasteurized by heat?

I'm thinking the high pH would cause higher osmotic pressure which *might* force more water into the straw's cellular matrix. If that were the case, that sterile water would be very selectively available to the growing mycelia.

Each cell is just a little bag of water/nutrients waiting to be tapped. The more those bags contain, the better.

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:58 PM

weigh it
both ways
and see...

#14 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:22 AM

Lazlo- Have you done this with manure? I was thinking of getting a nice LC going, say 1litre, when colonised I would stir in lime and maybe bleach and add it straight to manure, using it to hydrate the manure. I will try it on a small scale first and see

#15 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 09:07 AM

Lazlo- Have you done this with manure? I was thinking of getting a nice LC going, say 1litre, when colonised I would stir in lime and maybe bleach and add it straight to manure, using it to hydrate the manure. I will try it on a small scale first and see

I've done lime alone with manures, but i'm learning it's not needed if the pasturization process is done correctly.

#16 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:40 AM

I am talking of only using lime and bleach on manure, no heat at all. I have a tray I prepared just yesterday. 500g cow poo+50g hydrated lime+100ml water+ 3ml bleach + 200g colonised wheat.

Fingers crossed.

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:12 AM

I am talking of only using lime and bleach on manure, no heat at all. I have a tray I prepared just yesterday. 500g cow poo+50g hydrated lime+100ml water+ 3ml bleach + 200g colonised wheat.
Fingers crossed.

blackout-
how'd that go ?

#18 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 12:50 PM

It is about 80-90% colonised now. It has sort of stalled. I left it a bit dry on purpose, it ate it up pretty quick. I have since added some more water, about 50ml which it absorbed well.
I also cased it. I think the casing has too much hydrated lime. My other microwave pastuerised cow manure/straw was cased with the same stuff and it didnt colonise it well. I scraped it off leaving about 1/4" behind, I put about 1/4" on the limed cow poo too, just to stave off airborne contams. No bad smells yet. I will try the liming again, this time at proper field capacity, it wont be for a while though.

This is a pic of the fruiting KS tray on microwave paseurised cow poo & straw. This was spawned with that jar of black burnt wheat I had, if you can remember back about 2 months

Attached Thumbnails

• KS cow straw 31 oct 05.jpg

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 09:23 AM

if you can remember back about 2 months

:lol:
sometimes i can,
sometimes i can't.