• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:29 PM

can it be done? how have you done it? thanks :)

i'm thinking of trying it with hardwood pellets and country kitty straw litter in spawn bags that it would be innoc'd and incubated in then that cake that would be fruited as is in an FC. but not sure i can do it with just steaming it. thanks :)

#2 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:42 PM

BRF can be steamed and used for Shitake.

http://archives.myco...html?1092598342

You could always uncompress some of the kitty litter , fluff it up and mix it in the BRf in place or in tandem with the verm. This way the Shitakes get a bit more to chew on in the cake and get used to woodchips earlier. These cakes can be fruited as is or spawned into soaked woodchips. If you choose to go this route the chips/litter is soaked overnight and drained well.

If you were worried about contams by adding the kitty litter to the BRF than you can go straight BRF and just spawn that to soaked / drained woodchips/litter.

You can pasturize the final fruiting woodchips if you want extra security or just soak them.

Best of luck.

#3 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:46 PM

thanks
could the kitty litter and/or wood pellets alsobe properly treated(not sure if it's beset to past or sterilize them) in the steamer as well? or only the brf? my current plan is to mix the litter and pellets into a sealed bag with filter patch and steam the bag then innoc through the bag. if that would work

#4 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:58 PM

my current plan is to mix the litter and pellets into a sealed bag with filter patch and steam the bag then innoc through the bag. if that would work

What happened to the BRF ?

I'd recommend (just an opinion) to make up the PF tek BRF jars. Verm on the bottom and top of each BRF jar. Follow the tek to a T. Shoot up the Shitake spores. Allow to colonize. Soak both your chip/litter material separately , mix the proportions you want (i'd recommend 80 % wood / 20 % straw for Shitake) in a pillowcase, pasturize that for 2 hours in a large pot at 160 F for 2 hours , squeeze all excess water out carefully (still hot) , just as its warm to the touch place it in mycobags , allow to cool fully and then add Shitake BRF cake chunks in glovebox , mix.

Anyhow you'll find a good way ...

Good luck.

#5 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:07 PM

thanks for the info. it seems like the lazy way i'm hoping for won't work. and i'll have to go with a spawn then sub way of doing it instead of doing it all in one bag, from innoc to birthing :(

#6 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:27 PM

You can experiment with pre-soaked litter/chips and BRF in bags steamed. I was just offering up an opinion. Don't be afraid of testing theories out.

#7 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:28 PM

This just in.

http://mycotopia.net...spawn-bags.html

#8 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:34 PM

This just in.

http://mycotopia.net...spawn-bags.html

ya, i've been reading that one tonight, found it when searching for more info on this only with strictly brf cakes. it's looking good, just not sure the litter and pellets can be added to the brf in the bag then steamed. i know some things like rye don't work if steamed, but i haven't heard anyone say 1 way or the other if straw litter or wood pellets can be, i'm leaning towards that they can

#9 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:41 PM

Why not pre-pasturize the litter/chips mix for precautionary and then add it to the BRF for steaming. I bet it would work. Contams do grow pretty easily on BRF though. That's why I originally recommended doing the BRF in jars and then spawning that colonized BRF into bags of the pasturized , drained litter/chips.

#10 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

Why not pre-pasturize the litter/chips mix for precautionary and then add it to the BRF for steaming. I bet it would work. Contams do grow pretty easily on BRF though. That's why I originally recommended doing the BRF in jars and then spawning that colonized BRF into bags of the pasturized , drained litter/chips.

ya, it's looking like that's the way i'll have to do it. was just trying to save a step and do everything all at once in one bag from steaming to birthing. thanks for all the help

#11 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:53 AM

Doing everything in 1 step would be cool.
But the only way I've really seen success with that is in PF cakes done invitro in jars.
But as Hyph said experiment, it's one o the greatest ways to learn.

Good luck

#12 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:38 PM

Shiitake is mighty contam resistant.
Follow Hyphae's suggestion.
Steam PF Tek jars and innoculate - sterile
Allow to colonize and mix with your preferred substrate - pasteurized
Should work fine so long as you start sterile
And allow the colony to gain mass.

#13 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:41 PM

sounds like a plan, thanks guys :)

#14 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

I see no reason why a spawn bag with litter/chips and 10-15%BRF wouldn't work for the whole grow cycle..Just double steam the bag..
Your biggest challenge will be fruiting Shiitaki from spores ..Never seen it happen..

#15 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

I wondered about that (from spores) myself.
I've always grown from clones or commercial spawn.

Have some prints but never tried.
Crisnh,
If you need some spawn I could prolly send you a colonized plate if you need one.
Or I've got a big batch ready to fruit.
Could clone you one if you like.

I use a different method than the one you are proposing:
http://mycotopia.net...ke-growlog.html

Best of Luck!

#16 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 03:42 AM

I wondered about that (from spores) myself.
I've always grown from clones or commercial spawn.

Have some prints but never tried.
Crisnh,
If you need some spawn I could prolly send you a colonized plate if you need one.
Or I've got a big batch ready to fruit.
Could clone you one if you like.

I use a different method than the one you are proposing:
http://mycotopia.net...ke-growlog.html

Best of Luck!

colonized "plate" not 100% sure what you mean, agar plate? as much as i truly appreciate the offer, i'd hate to take something from you that would require a flowhood or super sterile conditions only to have it fail because i have neither.

#17 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:11 AM

Yeah, I was talking agar plate.

I'm interested to see how your research turns out.
If you aren't capable of agar,
How do you plan to get spores into solution for innoculation?

I'm finding that with woodlovers of any species
Sterile spawn building is the key.
Once the colony passes a "critical mass" point
It will pretty much take care of itself, outrun any competitors, and can therefore be spawned to pasteurized substrates rather than sterile.

#18 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,977 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:18 AM

Shitakes have started from spore on grain , BRF and fine woodchips nicely for me. I inoculated this alder woodchip block directly from a syringe.

Attached Thumbnails

• 79837d1205009799-shitake-rising-newshi1.jpg

#19 chrisnh

chrisnh

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 27 September 2008 - 11:42 AM

myc, i'm gonna try the spore route, thanks for the offer though :)

hyph, that looks promising. once my current grows finish up i'll be trying this :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!