• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

I have this bag of horse poo. It's several weeks old and hasn't contamed yet and I don't think it's about to any time soon.

I'm going to add several pints of fully colonized BRF to it.

So, why do I need to pasteurize the poo? It's not like it's going to contam on it's own so why can't I just put the spawn in and let it do its thing?

#2 Cornfield

Cornfield

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 694 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 11:54 PM

well one reason i can see would be to kill any bugs (gnats etc) that might be in the poo causing a nuisance. id like to hear what others say too..bump

edit: also youll be adding moisture to the poo and im sure there are plenty of mold spores ready to rock

#3 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,819 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:23 AM

because if you dont it will contaminate 100% for sure

I dont know how the poo is being stored and how wet it is, but if it is wet to field capacity it WILL contam I promise.

#4 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:15 AM

ok, playing devils advocate...

horse poo lies around in the field all season long getting wet from the rain etc. yet when we get ahold of it it's not overrun with trich etc.

has anyone here tried working with poo that hasn't been pasteurized? :mistrust:

#5 jmtx

jmtx

horticulturist

• Expired Member
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:24 AM

foaf didnt pc his last jars, and only one got contaimed, out of 12, but it was straight from the bag, and not the field

#6 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:41 AM

ok, playing devils advocate...horse poo lies around in the field all season long getting wet from the rain etc. yet when we get ahold of it it's not overrun with trich etc.

That's because it's exposed to plenty of fresh air and sunlight. Once you put wet manure in a closed environment , it'll contaminate quickly. Trich doesn't thrive outdoors, but it sure loves rubbermaid tubs.

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

ok, playing devils advocate...

horse poo lies around in the field all season long getting wet from the rain etc. yet when we get ahold of it it's not overrun with trich etc.

has anyone here tried working with poo that hasn't been pasteurized? :mistrust:

of course when you add spawn it's no longer just poo
you can get success but odds are against you,
expect to lose ~ 2 of 3.

#8 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:17 PM

cool, thx

#9 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:48 PM

http://mycotopia.net...method-pdf.html

best pasteurizer out there yet. i hooked mine to a rough neck rubbermaid container. thank you sandman & lazlo:bow:

#10 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 11:38 PM

OK, 'cause I'm stubburn and have to see it for myself I've decided to run a little experiment.

I decided to sacrafice one second flush TX cake and mix it with two parts unpasteurized hpoo that is at two drips field capacity.

Cased it with a very light layer of verm and placed in grow chamber. The TiT has a large window on the top and has a fish tank air pump running through a jar of water, 24/7.

I'll post pics as things develop.

#11 chill

chill

celtic tiger

• Expired Member
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:25 PM

yup, it caught a spot of trich :(

#12 hyphaenation

hyphaenation

Former Staff

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 13,772 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

Another reason to pasturize manure is because its full of spores and mycelium. Species like Coprinus are almost guarenteed to be in horse manure.

You see lots of pics on here from under-pasturized poo showing "wild" mushrooms, and the person is saying " got my first fruits " ...

That could be dangerous if it was a poisonous mushroom that was growing in that manure and you did'nt know what to expect.

#13 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 01:59 PM

Damn good point hyph.....:bow:

Another reason to pasturize manure is because its full of spores and mycelium. Species like Coprinus are almost guarenteed to be in horse manure.

You see lots of pics on here from under-pasturized poo showing "wild" mushrooms, and the person is saying " got my first fruits " ...

That could be dangerous if it was a poisonous mushroom that was growing in that manure and you did'nt know what to expect.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!