Jump to content

- - - - -

Sclerotia (Psilocybe galindii) Farming Slacker Scores Fruits, by Default

  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Is this just frikkin awesome or what?

Is this just frikkin awesome or what?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Beast


    That's Mr. Beast to you..

  • Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 02:57 PM

So, a foaf bestowed upon swim a pair of wide mouth quart jars that were full up to about 2" below the neck with fully colonized wbs. These jars were innoculated with a liquid culture made from a fruit body from the notorious Atlantis #7 strain. I don't at the moment recall the final verdict as to the actual species identification, but a little research will easily bring this to light as it was rather recent (this year I believe). The date of innoculation, written on the jars, was 4/8.

I didn't write this down as I guess I wasn't expecting it do do anything for me. I harvested the sclerotia from one jar, which I had been watching with much suspense for sooo loooong. But older stones are better stones they say, so I waited. It was the middle of August, just before Burning Man, now that I think about it. The other is here for photographic evidence, and to show current sclerotia production at almost exactly 6 months of growth:
Posted Image

So anyways, about 6 weeks ago, I harvested the sclerotia from one jar by scooping everything out with a spoon and going through the pile breaking pieces apart with my fingers finding sclerotia. I got quite the harvest, though I don't recall the weight. I was more concerned with eating it at the time. Later that same day, I took the spawn which had been sitting in open air, and mixed it with a mixture of aged, unpasteurized, horse manure, worm castings, some perlite, some vermiculite, and some coir. The horse manure is the same batch that I found out on the street some time ago and made that thread called Found Horse Poo, Want Fire Fang. The stuff has been just sitting on the deck waiting for use, occasionally dipping in for addition of a bit to a super cake formula, but mostly I've been slacking on it. Likewise, the wormcastings are from my OSCR vermicomposter, and have been sitting in open air, mixed with some coir for a couple months now.

I made up a sterlite shoebox dub tub with 6 holes on the bottom half, and 11 holes on the top half stuffed with polyfill. I made the substrate about 2" deep, and put a piece of foil over top to help with colonization, and wrapped the base with foil as well.

About two weeks in I started doubting myself, as I didn't pasteurize anything -this was all done in open air, no gloves or mask or ozium or flowhood, etc. I noticed some little worms in there, same white annelids that are in my vermicomposter, and figured it was a loss. So I put it outside on the deck, in the sun, on top of my vermicomposter. It gets about 6-8 hours of direct sunlight per day, but remember the substrate is all covered in aluminum foil. The temperatures here range from 45-50 degrees farenheit at night to maybe 70 at best in the day if its sunny. There's almost always a gentle sea breeze blowing, and humidity ranges from 60-90% daily with fog and whatnot. The past week has had a warm storm come off the pacific from se asia bringing warm humid weather and a 3 day heavy rain storm. Today is maybe the 2nd sunny humid day, and I really have just been procrastinating on throwing that tub out. I figured it was a total loss and though have checked on it maybe every other week, I haven't seen any growth. The bits of spawn against the side have had maybe a quarter inch of mycellium coming out from them, but that's all I've seen. I don't think I've looked at it in over a week. But today when I opened the curtains to give the cat a sunbeam and admire the brugmansia flowers, I noticed out of the corner of my eye, something was just not the same as before:
Posted Image

see the thumbnails for the closeups (edit: 2nd pic those aren't worms, its little sprouts from the horse poo). Looks like it wasn't a total loss after all. Guess I've got some spore prints to make now, as well as perhaps an lc or two. I've got to tell ya, what a suprise that was! I was in the middle of writing a pm complaining about how nothings been growing for me lately cept for my pedros and brugmansia, and then had to run into chat and say omgomgomgomg! lol
:headbang: :greenboun :dance: :dance: :dance: :cacti: :dance: :dance: :dance: :greenboun :headbang:

Attached Thumbnails

  • P1010194a.jpg
  • P1010192a.jpg
  • P1010191a.jpg
  • P1010190a.jpg
  • P1010189a.jpg

#2 Beast


    That's Mr. Beast to you..

  • Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:14 PM

ATL#7 is probably an undescribed species but it is most similar to Psilocybe galindii (galindoi) from Mexico.

for those who are wondering

#3 seedlessstinky1



  • Expired Member
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

Sweet...Thats not somethin that happens everyday. Good myc in that species. I have yet to try it, however it must be to still give off those lovely fruits like it did. Hope they're as tasty as they look.:loveeyes:

#4 steeq



  • Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

Congratulations man! Glad to hear things are looking up. Scletoria fascinates me, but have not researched it.

#5 Beast


    That's Mr. Beast to you..

  • Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:20 PM

Ok, so I popped the lid, and removed the foil, and harvested the mature fruits. The caps have all been removed and prints are being made, though i can already tell by looking at the stems that the spores look brown. I also noticed the most mature caps are very wavy, so I'm thinking that all I've got here is an invasion by Panaeolus subbalteatus. (edit: Oh wait, nvm, pan subbalt spores are black, what was I thinking?) Figures that'd be the case given that its an unpasteurized substrate. The rest of the manure is sitting in an open container and even got some rain, and there's not a single thing growing in it. Same goes for the rest of the worm castings, though there's about 12 tomato plants that have since sprouted and are now starting to flower and produce tomatoes. But no mushrooms in either bin. So maybe this is the real deal? Given the two votes on the third category above b4 even these pics, I'd hate to see the haters get the satisfaction of this flopping. At least I've got mushrooms you bastards!

Planning on bioassay this evening I think. Just got to get a hold of my guinea pig.

The long stems are weird though. I'll have to look at some other Psilocybe galindii fruiting pictures and compare. There is some immediate bruising apparent on some of the stems and caps, the most vivid I included in the last photo.


Attached Thumbnails

  • P1010206a.jpg
  • P1010204a.jpg
  • P1010205a.jpg
  • P1010203a.jpg
  • P1010202a.jpg
  • P1010201a.jpg

#6 Guest_psi_*

  • Guest

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

Psilocybe galindoi (galindii) is a remarkably hardy species. Very contaminant resistant and able to stand up to pretty harsh environmental conditions well.

Those mushrooms are without a doubt Psilocybe galindoi. The wavy margins might be a result or excessive humidity or high CO2 levels (guesses).

That bruising is typical of the species. They immediately bruise brown, fading to blue with time.

Congrats on the fruiting success! They'll just keep flushing over and over again.:)

#7 Beast


    That's Mr. Beast to you..

  • Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 05:40 PM

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance. :bow:

#8 Looky


    Former Member

  • Banned Member
  • 2,873 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:36 PM

That's really cool. I would like to get some stones going soon. My next order will contain a sclerotia producer.

#9 Beast


    That's Mr. Beast to you..

  • Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 12:21 AM

I tend not to make threads like this as I like to post my success as it happens rather than post my attempts and hope they end in success.

As it is, I just innoculated two pint sized karo liquid cultures with inner stem material from the biggest of the fruits, and since I had the extra material and was feeling confident with this apparently slacker proof strain, nocced up a few quart jars with rye that I sterilized back in june, and though the rye berries are still fat, I figured what the heck, I only had a little bit of a contam in one jar (didn't use that jar, of course), so it seemed like a good idea. Waste not want not, they say. Hold on to your seats folks, this one's a slow mover.

SWIM went ahead and bioassayed 6.7 grams of stems, as all the caps are being printed - only 4 hours in and there's already noticable sporeprints! We were going with the assumption that 10grams sclerotia wet = 1 gram cubensis dry, though after munching the above down and noticing the same sour metallic taste as when he was eating sclerotia, my guinea pig remarked that perhaps we should have split the amount and had 3.35 grams each. Oh well, we'll see how he does and report back later - I'm sure he'll be fine. :pirate:

As for the above dub tub, I'm thinking I'll give the remaining fruits another day to see if they mature, then I'm thinking a coir/verm casing layer and a good soaking with the mister will be in order. There is a layer of perlite at the bottom, and I see fruits snaking their way all through it though, and that substrate certainly doesn't look solid enough to remove without damaging. so I guess they're just gonna have to sit tight and make their way around the side...

#10 Beast


    That's Mr. Beast to you..

  • Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 02:42 PM

Well, my guinea pig has reported back, and the conclusion is that the 6.7 grams of fresh stems was comparable or maybe even stronger than when 15 grams of sclerotia were bioassayed back when that first jar was harvested/spawned.

Only about 2/3rds of the caps made any visible sort of print, but 7 prints is 7 prints. How many spores does one need to make a swipe on agar anyways?

I guess those caps had been dropping spores for a day or so anyways, by the looks of some of those caps and stems. Interestingly, the spore prints have more of a purplish tint, though they are very light, on aluminum foil rather than white paper, and I haven't looked at them under any sort of magnification yet.

#11 Guest_psi_*

  • Guest

Posted 07 October 2008 - 05:43 PM

I had some trouble when I first attempted printing this species. I made four trays, 2 were straight cased grains, the other two were spawned and cased.

Interestingly, the straigt two cased grain trays only put out sterile fruits, with maybe one or two out out 40+ mushrooms producing spores.

The spawned trays were a different story though. Almost all the mushrooms produced sporulated and produced them in prodigious amount, with the results that I ended up with over 100 dark prints.

You're quite right about there purple colour though, as once they're dry they're far less brown than spores of other Psilocybe species.

#12 Beast


    That's Mr. Beast to you..

  • Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:29 PM

The tissue from the center of the stem of a couple of the largest of those specimens was pulled out with tweezers, set in a small amount of water, chopped up as best as possible with some tiny scissors, and then sucked up into a syringe with a large gauge needle.

:bow: Hippie3's airports :bow:

I recently have begun to experiment with making liquid cultures and agar/petri dishes. I had a few such practice units around, and figured what the heck.

Granted I did wear a face mask and gloves during all of this, and did wipe down the counter, and sprayed a disinfectant in the room's air. but that's it, no glove box, no flowhood.

I had some rye jars that an oyster lc never took in as well, and injected this tissue solution into the 6 available jars (been sitting around for a couple months, grains are still swollen, though no external moisture present, only one with any sort of contam, and that was a bacterial infeciton as lower grain had turned almost black). The white thing you see there on the quart jars is a filter patch siliconed in place over same size hole as used for the airport injector site, underside of the lid has a 3M waterproof bandaid that has sticky stuff all the way around the sterile pad; bandaid is covering the hole the filter patch is on, this is to keep grains out of the tiny gap between filter patch and metal lid, as a water proof bandaid, it allows gas exchange but will keep out moisture. Now that I think about it maybe a bandaid on either side of that hole would be just as good, though the filter patch seems much sturdier.

I had to deal with a few blockages. Tried putting the solution in the coffee grinder, but it wasn't doing a very good job. So I sat there with scissors chopping water for awhile. As the quality of the lc and jars was questionable, and I'm just aiming at practicing anyways, with these new lid designs and first time making agar and pouring plates ("squirting" plates actually :bow: Buckaroo's Agar for the Masses :bow:) and first time making my own liquid cultures (:bow: Hippie3's simple lc tek :bow:).

Really this is finally starting to be a culmination of my knowledge and experience, but oriented towards a specific goal: that being self-sufficiency with minimal effort. Permaculture is a fascinating subject to me, and though creating a garden of eden with edible plants living in a sort of engineered ecosystem is an eventual dream, currently I only have a 6x10 deck to work with. There's many ways in which we can turn the linear processes in our lives into cyclical practices that find uses for things normally termed 'waste' and rather than tossing energy away only to expend energy to pay for new energy that you're only going to use a portion of before tossing it away again, what if you could put that extra stuff to use? Like living on top of a pig farm and venting the methane to fuel your stove, I want to have wonderful things grow from my waste as well, rather than have some sort of open ended task of working to give something away.

People talk about how there's impending financial doom and all this silly panic driven stuff. There's an underlying problem with the way we often do business. Its a fire and forget go for broke make it all now and don't worry about the future or things like waste, until it starts to cost you something.

I don't believe in the traditional business model, as I see it becomes a permeating meme that is reanacted through out every aspect of our lives. I like to look at the big picture and see where i fit, and connect my loose ends back to eachother so that not only am I aware of where i am on this wheel of life, but I'm also peddling away to make it spin.

I know there's better ways to do this stuff, but I'm on a tangential explanation about how this grow is significant to me, not because I am growing mushrooms, but because of the way I am doing it.

The substrate from the above tub was produced by my vermicomposter, which uses waste from my kitchen/home, and a free pile of horse poo on the road just outside my home. A little bit of verm, perlite, and coir was included but I'm even aiming to free myself of those as well.

Very little effort or attention was put into this thing, other than its creation, and that has been a big goal. No fanning, no air pumps, no humidifiers. By changing my habits of how I handle my 'trash', I've improved my quality of life. The trashcan in the kitchen no longer stinks of rotting organic waste. I produce very little garbage and thus spend very little time dealing with it, saving money as well by not having to pay for disposal.

Granted this isn't yet a fully enclosed system, but I'm getting there. Its better than producing a 50 gallon garbage can of smelly trash per week, while also spending money purchasing worm castings and manure to grow my mushrooms on, etc. Now I produce for free what I used to pay money for, and I do it with stuff I used to pay someone money to take away for me. And that's not even considering the mushrooms and plants that I grow from it.

Its been only 5-6 days and there is very obvious growth in both lc jars, as well as half the quarts of rye. Out of 6 jars that were made months ago, had an old oyster lc squirted into them that didn't do anything, yet remained uncontaminated to have only one contam, two with no apparent growth, and three with good healthy growth, considering this was done open air and on my first attempt at live tissue culturing, plus the formerly questionable status of the jars, I'd say that's not too shabby.

Granted, the lackadaisical airs by which the above was undertaken was largely due to the availability of the expendable jars and liquid cultures from the practice attempts of making such. Now that I'm a little more experienced in what it takes to make a good lc, petri dish, etc, and I know these lids will work, I'm going to put a little more effort towards being clean, efficient, etc. I'm still not interested in building a glove box or flow hood or anything silly like that.

Attached Thumbnails

  • P1010211a.jpg

  • Diacetyl-M likes this

#13 Guest_floppypeter_*

  • Guest

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:38 PM


I think the strain of ATL #7 comes from a clone of a cherished friend of yours, he got it from workman

#14 Workman



  • Expired Member
  • 667 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:02 PM

Still getting used to my new camera (Coolpix P5100). This is the original ATL#7 mother clone.

Attached Thumbnails

  • ATL7 013 good copy.jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!