• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 02:03 PM

A wild turkey trap is made by first digging a ditch; then over one end is built a rude structure of logs, covered at the top. The structure should not be tight, but, of course, sufficiently close not to let the birds through. Indian corn is scattered about and in the ditch, and inside of the pen. The turkeys follow up corn in the ditch, and emerge from it on the inside. Once there, the silly birds never think of descending into the ditch, but walk round and round the pen, looking through the chinks of the logs for escape that way. To make all sure, the ditch should end about the center of the pen, and a bridge of sticks, grass and earth should be built over the ditch, just inside of the pen, and close to the logs; otherwise, in going around the bird might step inside the ditch, and once there it would follow the light and thereby reach the outside of the pen.

#2 Cornfield

Cornfield

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 694 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:16 PM

id like to see a pictorial of this, i just cant picture it mentally. sounds good tho

#3 steeq

steeq

Searching....

• Expired Member
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

Me too, I'm terrible at imagining something that is described. Good info though

#4 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:26 PM

I assume this is an apocalyptic type of idea, because if the game wardens' still relevent, he will fuck up your life if he catches you doing this.

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

:reb:
it's for curing hunger pangs.
feeding a family.
not for greed
but for the poor.

#6 Fresh Brewed

Fresh Brewed

Seeker

• OG VIP
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

:reb:
it's for curing hunger pangs.
feeding a family.
not for greed
but for the poor.

Understood

#7 bobdolerson

bobdolerson

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 470 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:12 AM

Ah, I get it.

Imagine an ice fishing shack style pen with a hole at the bottom.

That is the log structure over one end of the ditch. The turkeys climb up the ditch into the small pen, and are stuck because they aren't smart enough to go back the way they came.

Ignorance stops being bliss when it makes you a thanksgiving feast.

#8 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,268 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 October 2008 - 06:29 AM

Nice! Sounds similar to the goose trap I posted on a different thread, except much much tastier...

I bet poaching arrests will be on the rise as the economy declines... If you get caught using a fish spear or trapping turkey, just remember that the first thing you should say to the Warden is "Thank God you found me!!" :reb:

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:59 AM

:lol:

#10 Lefty

Lefty

Arrogant Asshole

• Expired Member
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 12:07 PM

A close friend was hunting when aproached by a chatty fellow, which is the dead give away of a warden, when the subject of his shotgun came up. His gun had been dropped, denting the end of the barrel, so he removed about 5/8"'s of the barrel, then filed, sanded & re-blued. Fucker busted out a tape measure on instinct alone (no repair was mentioned), took the gun. Another friend used to bowhunt for turkey/pheasant with a beagle but had a target in one hand at all times. "I was just lookin' for a good spot, sir. The dog, he's just walkin."
Very cool topic Hip!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!