FRIED SQUIRREL WITH BISCUITS AND GRAVY

Source:

Chris McPhail
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Prep Time:
Varies

Ingredients

Utensils

4 squirrels, quartered Crock Pot 3/4 cup all-purpose flour Large Bowl 1 tablespoon salt Medium Bowl 1 teaspoon pepper Large Iron Skillet 4 slices bacon, cut up 1 egg, beaten Baking Sheet 2 tablespoons butter Glass or Cutter 2 apples 1 orange 1 white onion Biscuits 1 cup self-rising flour 1 1/2 cups buttermilk 2 tablespoons shortening 1 teaspoon salt Directions
Cut up apples, onion and orange and place in a crock pot
Add squirrel
Cover with water and cook till meat becomes tender
Check frequently since all squirrels do not tenderize at the same rate of time. Do not allow squirrel to over tenderize and fall apart.
After meat is done, remove and allow to cool completely
Mix salt, flour, pepper in a bowl
Dip dry squirrel quarters in well beaten egg and dredge in the flour mixture
Place bacon and butter in large iron skillet and heat, then add squirrel
Fry on very low heat uncovered till brown, about twenty minutes on each side.
Biscuits
Mix dry ingredients and cut in shortening
Add buttermilk and fold dough by hand
Place dough on floured surface and flatten by hand to a thickness of about 1 inch
Cut biscuits with a floured cutter or drinking glass
Bake on top rack at 375 degrees till tops are golden (about 10 minutes), remove and spread butter on tops and replace in oven for another five minutes or till brown.

Gravy
Remove fried squirrel, pour off most of the grease leaving a little for gravy base
Brown a small palm full of all-purpose flour and grease, add 1 cup of cold water and stir
Salt to taste.

Serve with rice.

NOTE: If one appreciates the natural game flavor of squirrel the apples and oranges should not be added in the parboiling process since these remove the wild taste from the squirrel. Serves four.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0519.jpg

#2 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

my cousin and myself have gotten 21 squirrels in the past week. So next weekend its on!

#3 boatsoup

boatsoup

Master Of Spoons

• Expired Member
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:12 PM

ahaha i'm almost tempted to go squirrel hunting to try this

#4 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:16 PM

Larry Brown's Squirrel, Biscuits, and Gravy (Serves four)
The late Larry Brown, the author of Joe, Billy Ray's Farm, and seven other classics of Southern literature, had a saying. When things were difficult, complicated, aggravating, or vexing in one way or another, he'd say, "They ain't squirrels, baby." Squirrels, for Larry, were the antithesis of all that: They were a joy to hunt, a joy to cook, and a joy to eat. Hunting and eating them was one of life's simple pleasures-along with bream fishing, slow back-roads driving, drinking with pals, and cradling his grandchildren. On numerous mornings he greeted me with a plate of squirrel, biscuits, and gravy, his signature dish, usually made with grays his sons had killed. Nothing ever tasted better, or will again.
2 squirrels (about 1 pound each), dressed and quartered
2/3 cup flour for dredging, plus roughly 1/4 cup for gravy
5 slices bacon
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Biscuits
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, chilled
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons butter, melted

1. Parboil the squirrel pieces: Place them in a large pot and add enough salted water to cover. Bring to a simmer and cook until the meat is very tender but still intact-1 to 2 hours. Remove them from the water and set aside to cool.
2. In a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven, fry the bacon slices over medium heat until they're crispy and all the fat has been rendered. Reserve the bacon for another use. In a wide, shallow bowl or pan, season 2/3 cup of flour (or more as needed) with salt and pepper. Dredge the squirrel pieces in it, shaking off any excess, and place them in the bacon grease. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook the squirrel until lightly browned on all sides, about 10 minutes per side. You may have to do this in batches; add butter to the pan if the grease seems insufficient.
3. In the meantime, make the biscuits: Preheat the oven to 400¿¿. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Divide the shortening into several pieces and cut it into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a hole in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Using your hands, fold the dry mixture into the buttermilk until you have a sticky dough. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and fold it over on itself to form layers. Flatten it with your hands until it's about 3/4 inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter or an upside-down glass, cut rounds out of the dough. Transfer the rounds to a sheet pan and brush with melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.
4. When the squirrel pieces are done, remove them to a plate or keep them warm in a low oven. Pour off the excess grease, keeping about 1/4 cup in the pan. Increase the heat to medium-high and add 1/4 cup of flour, stirring constantly and scraping up any browned bits until the mixture turns an oaky shade of brown. Add 3/4 cup of cold water and stir until a thick gravy forms; if it's too thick, add more water. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve the squirrel and biscuits with the gravy on the side.

Pork Rind-Crusted Fried Squirrel with Molasses Red-Eye Gravy (Serves four)
John Currence, the James Beard Award-winning chef of the City Grocery in Oxford, Mississippi, conceived of this crushed pork-rind coating for fried chicken, but it works even better crusting the more flavorful meat of young gray squirrels. To make "pork rind powder," drop a bag or two of rinds in the blender and pulverize until you have coarse, sandy-textured bits. Currence recommends Brim's Hot Pork Rinds and serves this dish with hot cornbread for sopping up the red-eye gravy.
4 young squirrels, dressed and quartered
1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
2 carrots, roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1 gallon water
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1-1/2 cups lard
1-1/2 cups peanut or vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour seasoned with salt, black pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder
2 cups pork rind powder (see recipe headnote)
2 cups milk
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
Salt, cayenne powder, and Tabasco, to taste

Tasso and Molasses Red-Eye Gravy
1/3 cup tasso or other thick-sliced ham, diced
1/2 cup bacon, diced
1 tablespoon flour
1-1/4 cups beef stock
3/4 cup strong black coffee
1/3 cup Coca-Cola
2 tablespoons molasses
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1. Generously season the squirrel pieces with salt, pepper, and cayenne; allow to sit for 2 hours.
2. Bring water, cider vinegar, onion, celery, carrot, and garlic to a boil, then boil for 15 minutes. Add the squirrel pieces and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes, until the meat is cooked through but not falling apart. Remove the meat. Drain the vegetables in a colander and discard them.
3. Make the red-eye gravy: In a large cast-iron skillet or pan, saut¿¿ the bacon and tasso over medium heat until all the fat is rendered. Whisk in the flour until it's well combined, continuing to whisk over medium heat for 5 minutes. Stir in the beef stock, coffee, Coca-Cola, molasses, and red pepper flakes, bring to a simmer, and whisk constantly until gravy thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. In a large cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil and lard to 325¿¿, or until a pinch of flour bubbles in the oil.
5. Whisk together the milk and eggs with a dash of Tabasco. Dust the squirrel in the seasoned flour and set aside. Add the pork rind powder to the remaining seasoned flour and combine well. Dunk the squirrel in the egg wash, then dredge them in the pork rind and flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Fry the pieces until golden brown, working in batches. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with gravy on the side, and cornbread if desired.

#5 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

ive ate squirrel since i was 2 or 3 yrs old good stuff

#6 Jigalow

Jigalow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:27 PM

Wow, how did you shoot them and keep them in one piece?
I guess you used a .22 cal LR ..... Guess that would work
better then my 10mm ......doh!

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

shotgun

#8 Jigalow

Jigalow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:40 PM

How hard are they to clean? about the same as jack rabbits?

We used to spray a small about of raid on the Rabbits so the tic's
and flees would fuck off so we didn't drag them in the house.
I am sure that wasn't good for us...

#9 M&M420

M&M420

Eternity Intern

• Validating
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

yeah just make sure they are dead before you approach.They can be seriously vicious

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

easy to clean, cut fur across back and pull it back away to paws...

#11 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 08:49 PM

we slice across the asshole, cut through the meat to the hide breaking the tail bone, step on the tail and pull the rear legs up toward you. Hide pulls off like a fur coat going toward the head.
The rest you can figure out. The females are easier..lol :D

We use a 12ga. Sometimes my uncle uses his 20ga.

I do like using .22's with a scope but i do not own one. So I use the 12ga

#12 Sideshow

Sideshow

Screaming Meatball

• Expired Member
  • 397 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:11 PM

What does squirrel taste like?
Please don't say chicken.....
Seriously, I'm curious
Always figured that if I was starving, I would catch and eat one.

#13 wavelength

wavelength

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:20 PM

thats not even game hunting using a shotty on a little squirrel....give him a chance atleast..

id rather chill with the squirrel and nibble on nuts with him than eat the poor guy

#14 Jigalow

Jigalow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:37 PM

Understand your point....

I guess I'd rather be shoot with a shotgun then have a coyote
rip my leg off and wait for me to bleed a painful death then
wait for me to rot to eat me...

#15 Rhyno

Rhyno

1%

• OG VIP
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:13 PM

FYI. In case anyone has ever wondered about squirrels carrying rabies I was informed by an emergency room doctor that squirrels can NOT carry rabies. I know this is a little off subject but since I paid about 300 dollars for this knowledge I thought I would pass it on. Animal Control, Game Warden and the local zoo had no idea whether they carried rabies or not. BTW Undead squirrels will bite the shit out of you so be careful picking them up.

#16 Jigalow

Jigalow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:19 PM

Zombie squirrels? that would be the shit!

They do carry the Plague

#17 Subbalteatus

Subbalteatus

A drooling observer

• Free Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 10:22 PM

think I will try this with my rabbit in the freezer : )

#18 Mr. Clean

Mr. Clean

Devotee of Truth

• Free Member
  • 888 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:21 PM

if you've ever heard a rabbit squeal,
ya kno it really tears yer heart out..

#19 Subbalteatus

Subbalteatus

A drooling observer

• Free Member
  • 798 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 11:35 PM

Heard one squeel when I caught it once... didnt like it. however I have some friends who raise them to eat so they gave me one and its in the freezer. Wifey doesnt want to eat it of course but I want to try. :eusa_sile

#20 Jigalow

Jigalow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:16 AM

The squeal is bad but grown up killing animals (for food)
So maybe I am desensitized. My neighbors had a pair
of domesticated geese. They was playful like puppies.
I used to play with when I was a kid I just couldn't
help butcher them...

But have you ever seen a cow gets it's throat cut?
The sounds and how it blows blood bubbles out its
nose and chokes on its on blood??
I think if most people had to kill their meal they would
have a greater respect for it.

Just something to think about next
Time you order your Whooper with extra cheese.....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!