#1 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

Ok. So my new location really does not have a lot of extra space for me to continue my hobby and there is a nice farmers market right down the road that is extremely interested in mushrooms. There is no one else in my area that can or is doing this kind of thing. So, with that said, I want to build a medium sized backyard greenhouse. I've been researching a bit on the net and it seems that a pvc round or triangle shaped house is going to be the easiest and cheapest way to go.

Have not started building this yet nor do I have any of the supplies. So if anyone has any input they would like to share to get this thing rolling it would be greatly appreciated. I will update this thead in a few days after I get started on the build. I'll take plenty o good pics too.

#2 SantiagoDomingo

SantiagoDomingo

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 10:53 AM

I was thinking of doing the same in the near future.
I shall be paying attention to this one.

#3 seedlessstinky1

seedlessstinky1

Stinks

• Expired Member
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:00 AM

My grandpa built all of his own green houses(5total) and that is the method he used on one. The pvc idea. He used that plastic that is clear yet not quite transparent as a shell. Then he used like 2 layers of thick black plastic for the floor with cinderblock as the side base. Then he cemented in the pipes into the block and ran the pipes up about 18 feet. He put the plastic over it, i dont recall the exact process of getting it to stay but it does. Next he put in a huge fan and bammm. grows some dank ass flowers, herbs and veggies........You could doo one outta wood and some plastic panneling that is clear yet not transparent and it works very well, seems to keep humidity in extremely well...I'll try for some pics soon to give an idea........:weedpoke:

Sorry no pics, hope i made sense.

#4 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

I guess that your winter temps and snow load will be a primary factor in the design ..
Hoop houses are proly the least expensive and strongest..Also easy to shade in summer.
What kinda dimentions r u thinking..?

#5 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

I'm thinking no bigger than bout 8 feet by 12 feet.

Not much snow here to worry about. I'm just thinking about ease of construction. Winter temps on average stay in the 40's and 50's. We will have some weeks that get into the 20's and teens but that is rare and it never lasts long.

#6 Ben Dover

Ben Dover

VIP Member

• Expired Member
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

Here's a link I saved later when I want to build the same thing. It has a punch of different plans so maybe you'll find different tips and tricks to help you along.

http://www.bluegrass...article001.html

Here's another link with an A frame style PVC greenhouse.

http://pvcgreenhouse...se-rafters.html

EDIT

Another link with a bunch of plans

http://www.sherrysgr...uses-build.html

#7 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2008 - 11:37 AM

Yeah thanks for the links. I've read through almost all of the first link you gave and found a couple of useful blueprints. That second link is the style I really want to build. Thanks again.

#8 seymorebunz

seymorebunz

CHEERS

• OG VIP
  • 997 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:46 PM

http://www.littlegre...sory/pvc2.shtml

#9 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 October 2008 - 12:51 PM

Thanks, bunz.

#10 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:26 PM

Going to lowes to get materials in the morning. Starting the build in the afternoon so wish me luck. I will take plenty o pics too.

#11 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 05:21 PM

How does selling mushrooms to a farmers market work?

Definately check this out if you want to start that kind of business,
very outdated TEK's but it's an interesting read.
http://www.fao.org/D...7e07.htm#bm7.18

#12 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,493 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:26 AM

How does selling mushrooms to a farmers market work?

usually you sell at the farmers market, not to it. And then, how depends on the market. In my area, during the summer when all the good shit is in season, most of the markets have long waiting lists to get a stand (usually something like a 10'x'a10' tent space). The winter months it's leaner 'cause there's obviously not a lot of fruit and veg being grown. The wait list can often be irrelevant if you have something with high demand and low supply - and yes, mushrooms quite often fit this description. From there, it's market to market again on whether you pay for your stand with a flat fee regardless of sales or pay a percentage of what you sold...
Lastly, depending on what you're trying to sell, markets can be hard fucking work. At the very least, it's a long day. Though I get a particular buzz from meeting new people and bullshitting with them. The farmers market trend is exploding with the desire of consumers to know their food producers more intimately.

#13 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 02:16 AM

usually you sell at the farmers market, not to it. And then, how depends on the market. In my area, during the summer when all the good shit is in season, most of the markets have long waiting lists to get a stand (usually something like a 10'x'a10' tent space). The winter months it's leaner 'cause there's obviously not a lot of fruit and veg being grown. The wait list can often be irrelevant if you have something with high demand and low supply - and yes, mushrooms quite often fit this description. From there, it's market to market again on whether you pay for your stand with a flat fee regardless of sales or pay a percentage of what you sold...
Lastly, depending on what you're trying to sell, markets can be hard fucking work. At the very least, it's a long day. Though I get a particular buzz from meeting new people and bullshitting with them. The farmers market trend is exploding with the desire of consumers to know their food producers more intimately.

very cool, sorry about getting off track of the thread. We have a big farmers market, and I own property it would be nice to set up some shittake logs and see what I can get for the fruits at the market! Sorry high hopes, from a high mind.

#14 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

The farmers market down the road is not really a traditional market where one must man a stand. I will give him the fruits and he splits the profit. There are some others in the area but I do not have the time to sit at a stand.

#15 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:28 PM

The farmers market down the road is not really a traditional market where one must man a stand. I will give him the fruits and he splits the profit. There are some others in the area but I do not have the time to sit at a stand.

Yeh, I like your way better.

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:26 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...2|39:1|240:1308

#17 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,654 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

Damn Laz! Thank god I was too lazy to buy the supplies already! lmao. That is the shit right there. Gonna order that today! You the man!

#18 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

Damn Laz! Thank god I was too lazy to buy the supplies already! lmao. That is the shit right there. Gonna order that today! You the man!

Nice that think looks nice, you won't regret it im sure

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!