• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 bullwinkle

bullwinkle

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:24 PM

has anyone here had any experience with ordering syringes and needles from medical supply companies? it seems that you get 100pk for around 35.00 usd. alot better than 10.00 a piece.-- 10cc with 1.5" 18 guage needles

#22 motograter

motograter

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 603 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

depends on the company, and what state you live in. In some states, it is illeagal to send syringes and needles through the mail. Check with the company first.

#23 bullwinkle

bullwinkle

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

Thanx that was what i was worried about..

this is best damn site ever!!

#24 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:34 PM

veterinary supply houses usually aren't as fussy about it

#25 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:39 PM

Your local feed and seed supplier will have them too. You know the place farmers go for cattle feed horse supplies, and gardening equipment.

#26 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:48 AM

haven't tried the cat
yet
but have tried various vibrating objects
[:reb:]
and still find ultrasound far superior
in breaking up spore clumps.
after numerous experiments
the only snag i've found with ultrasound
is you must watch the water temperature
so it doesn't go too high,
the sound waves heat the water in passing.

#27 malefacter

malefacter

:P

• Expired Member
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:05 AM

my foaf put the spores in a sterile shot glass then scrape a small amount of spores into it then with a syringe full of sterile water he just puts a few drops on the spores and mix them with the needle till its broken up then he squirts all the water out then suck it up back and forth a few times. maybe he'll get an ultrasonic device someday but until then thats how he does it

#28 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,756 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:22 PM

Anybody had any problems using a tiny bit of Jet Dry when making syringes? I tried it just recently and the spores don't seem to have any trouble sticking to the syringe or each other. I haven't used them yet, and was wondering if anyone had noticed any negative results from using JD, like decreased viability or anything.

Because if there's no reason not to use it, jet dry apparently works well.

I make my prints in small jars, then suck up PC'd water (jet dry added before PCing) and blast it at the print. With jet dry, nearly all the spores easily came off the glass and mixed into the water without clumping. Without JD, I needed to scrape, there was some clumping, and they stuck to the syringe.

Strapping a syringe to a cat would never have occurred to me, thanks for that intriguing tip. Would a small, yipping crotch-stomping dog work in a pinch? The cats around my place are too hard to catch, but the neighbor's little dog is friendly enough and his yips are short, high-frequency bursts...seriously, I love that kind of thing, especially explaining it to someone else. I don't think I'd like to explain to my neighbor why there's a syringe stuck under his little preciouses collar, however, so tests will have to wait for now.

#29 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

jet dri can trigger germination

#30 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,756 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:32 PM

Germination??

Aw, hell. I keep them in the fridge, so I hope that prevents it, at least until I shoot 'em into something. Might be a good thing if intending to use them soon after making the syringe...?

Anyway, thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on 'em.

#31 Kreat

Kreat

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:38 AM

Well i just attempted to make my first syringe. The cap that I used was maybe 1in in diameter. I scraped the spores into a shot glass, added some water, and drank it up through the syringe, and it looks like theres no spores in the syringe or the shot glass.... I don't understand it b/c their was absolutely no air currnet, i saw the spore in the shot glass b4 I put the water in, and the syringe looks like its just filled with water.

Do the spores get larger as they absorb the water and I should pssible see them in the water more clearly?

Any advice would help.

The strain was Treasure Coast

#32 dbzeroone

dbzeroone

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:46 AM

The spores are probably in there. All the syringes I've ever gotten from vendors were crystal clear.

Conventional wisdom says to wait 24hrs before inoculating jars so the spores can re-hydrate.

#33 the_other_chap

the_other_chap

The Whelk of Reason

• Expired Member
  • 919 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

Yep, unless you have very large clumps in the syringe, spores are seldom visible.

If you leave it undisturbed for a few months, you might get a very fine "film" of spores settling on the bottom, but usually they're invisible to the naked eye.

Don't worry :)

#34 Kreat

Kreat

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:54 AM

Alright, I was just worried because I've seen pictures where the water is like brown from all the spores that are in there. So when I saw nothing I was like oh man I screwed up! Well i'm going to be making two more jars tomarrow to test them out. A BFR and a whole rice, Im making both because I want to try the whole rice, and the BFR is a test to make sure I didn't contam the spores.

Thanks all make me feel a bit better

#35 Kreat

Kreat

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 01:04 AM

Just wanted to update on this, I tested my first ever syringe of Treasure Coast and got 0 contams! Very happy that I got it to work well. Thanks for all the help. I'm not not going to have to buy spores again.

#36 unsane

unsane

Big Happy

• Free Member
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 06:38 AM

Congrats on your needlework.:cool:

#37 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts