- - - - -

Grocery Store Grow; Re-Post

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:19 AM

Okay, here we go with the re-post!
This was an idea first brought to my attention by Cheesedog, a member of SacredShrooms. I never saw pictures of his success but thought it was worthy of a try. These are Zatarains Rice bags bought from the grocery store. They cost me $1.89 a bag. Nothing at all is done to these except a cleaning with alcohol before inoculation. I don't cook them at all.

The ingrediants listed on the bag are exactly as follow;
Cooked enriched parboiled long grain rice (rice, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid), vegetable oil (soybean and or canola) and salt.

The first 5 pictures are of the first trial bag. This bag was inoculated multi-spore with an anonymous strain from a syringe I needed to empty and free up. It was and still is really slow going. The last pic of this group is when I birthed the Zatarains bag into a ziplock bag.

The next 2 pictures are of how I inoculate them and the materials I used. I use a sponge wet (not dripping) with iso alcohol, inoculate through that and into the bag. Then I cover the hole with a band aid. (These are a new group of 5 inoculated MS with a GT syringe that I know is pretty fast on grain.) I am going to try to put Hippies Airport into 3 of them to see if growth speeds up. Its hard to do the airports though cuz I need my syringes lol.

The very last picture is of the original trial ziplock bag. It was looking like it was starting to die off some so I dumped in a mix of sterilized horse manure, vermiculite, and brf. It was a quart jars worth. I am also going to put an airport on the ziplock and tape it in place. I will do that in a few days after I can get a look at how its growing. Hopefully this will colonize and we'll see some fruits soon.

So there it is. If I missed something or anyone has questions, shoot! I know my stuff is usually slow etc. Its just that I don't get into rushing and pushing stuff to grow. It leads to mistakes and troubles. So sorry if it seems like its taking so long. Well it is taking long, but it'll give us good discussion time lol.
Please note: I have no evidence other than this on the success of this process other than word from Cheesedog. So please don't rush out and buy out your local grocery of Zatarains. Also, Mr.Freak says the other flavors etc. they have are excellent and good eating! :D

Which brings me to this point, these are a very stealth way of growing. They can be left in the cupboard to colonize and no one will think to look at them twice. Just make sure no one eats them.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2005_1019Image0002.JPG
  • 2005_1019Image0004.JPG
  • 2005_1003Image0006.JPG
  • 2005_1019Image0007.JPG
  • 2005_1003Image0005.JPG
  • 2005_0919Image0014.JPG
  • 2005_1003Image0003.JPG
  • 2005_0919Image0015.JPG

#2 Hashead

Hashead

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:32 AM

Omg that was very good thinking vary nice and I cant wait to see more!

#3 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 10:22 AM

are those recent pix ?
not much change sine the last, if so...

#4 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 20 October 2005 - 10:42 AM

The bottom 3 are the recent pix. The top 5 pix are the old pix from the old thread. I did mix that manure in with the rice too, I just didn't take a pic of it lol.

The ziplock I broke up a week ago and it just wasn't recovering as well, so I dumped in the manure/verm/brf quart mix to help it. If the original doesn't do well, lets hope the 5 new ones do better. I can't believe how long its taking. Thats why I'm thinking the airports will speed it up some. They are incubating so we can only hope its successful. And Cheesedog never had any pictures to show so all I have is his word it worked. I'm just hoping I can get a relative time frame down for it and get some fruits from it. It definitely colonized and grew mycelium, fruits are another story though.

#5 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 06:43 AM

keep up the good work,
inquiring minds want to know...
:bow:

#6 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:43 PM

Well :mad: had to dump the origianl, it went sweet smelling on me so outside it went. :laser:

Thought I may have seen some germination going in a couple of the new bags but can't say for sure. If I can't get it to fruit, its gonna drive me nuts. Might not be worthwhile, but I'll try a few different things with it to see how it goes.

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:06 AM

you might do better with live tissue,
it's better suited to overcoming adverse conditions than spores

#8 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:32 PM

Thats what I'm thinking too Hippie. I was just trying multi-spore for the sake of ease, etc.

I'll start a new set of 5 in a few weeks, and I'll do a liquid culture for the inoculation.

So we'll take a little vote on what strain to do with it next. GT is in the present bags. Here are the options:

Pesa
Hawaiian
B+
Ecuador
PR
Texas
Quezon
Burma
Mex-Cubie
Z
PE (from a shed monkey bookmark)
PE (from Hippies Love love love contest, are they the same strain of PE Hippie?)
Orissa India
KS
creeper
Mex-Albino (or whatever the name got changed to)
Mex-Palenque

So go ahead and say which ya feel like having me use for the lc for the next set of bags. I'll get the lc made up and growing, then get some more bags to inoculate. I'll let everyone Holla out about their strain of choice until Saturday, then I'll make the lc up :D

#9 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:55 PM

personally i would say go with the tex
since the colonize very aggresively which might help a little
great stuff so far freak.. i really hope this works out for ya :)
LOST

#10 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:33 AM

PE (from a shed monkey bookmark)
PE (from Hippies Love love love contest, are they the same strain of PE Hippie?)

i suspect yes
but can't be 100% certain

#11 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:53 AM

Thanks Hippie, I'll try em and see if they are similar.

Lost, thanks, I was thinking Tex too for how quick it colonizes.
Mex-Pal would be my #2 choice because it goes pretty quick too.

I hope this works out for these bags. Especially when no pc can be gotten.

Ohh, and noticed some growth in the present bags, moving along, slowly again. Gonna hook some airports up to em and see if that helps. I'll take pix once they get further along.

#12 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• Validating
  • 8,978 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 October 2005 - 07:38 PM

Nice idea, Freakachino! The resourcefulness of the folks on this board just boggles the mind!

PURE SPECULATION FOLLOWS:
Some "hydrated" packaged foods are topped off with nitrogen before being sealed to slow/stop the spoilage caused by atmospheric oxygen. This *might* explain the slowness of your colonization. Then again, I might be 1000 miles off course and about to crash on an island...

I'm very interested to see if an "air injection" might help. Remember: IF nitrogen is the issue, it is much heavier than air and will push any oxygen you "inject" to the top of the bag. Maybe suck all the "air" out then replace it with airport filtered air? Pardon if this is stuff you have thought of already...

#13 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:06 PM

I'm sterilizing some airports tonight and am going to put them in to see if it makes any difference. There is one bag in particular that is going pretty well. I'm holding out that that will be a good one.

I think that the lack of oxygen is the reason its being held up. The oil coating the rice may be another reson. If its still slow after the introduction of an air port, its most likely the something with the rice. Birthing to a filtered jar may be an answer also. Just going to try different things until I feel like not messing with it anymore, lol. Its cheap and easy so hopefully I'll be able to get something to work with it.

Thanks for all the comments, and I'll start up some texas LC since Lost was the only one who voted :D

#14 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:31 PM

haha... :)
mexipal was my second choice too.. since it is very aggressive too.. or maybe even b+ b/c it has been known to fruit in or on pretty much anything.. though not the most aggressive colonizer.. but IMO if tex can't get it done.. then it doesn't stand much hope for other strains
LOST

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 09:27 AM

perhaps adding a bit of jet-dri to the lc
might help
as it could help penetrate the oil layer on the rice

#16 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for that Hippie, I hadn't considered that. I'll try a couple lc's one with jet dry the other without. Both tex off the same print.

I'll shoot 2 bags from each culture jar. That will come in a few weeks though. This thread is going to go on for a while I think lol.

One bag is colonizing pretty well, better then the other 4 so I'll take a pic of that tonight and post it up. That one is moving quicker than the others and a lot faster than first run. Its been 11 days since I inoculated the 5 present bags. I'll update with some pix of them tonight. Got a lot of lc's to make and poo and straw to spawn to. I love my hobby!

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:26 AM

'll take a pic of that tonight and post it up

:cool:

#18 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:03 PM

Here are the pix of the one bag of 5 that is doing the best. Its been just under 2 weeks. A few of the other bags have slight signs of germination but this is the one I'm holding out for. Lets hope it fruits this time. Still sticking with this though!!!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2005_1102Image0005.JPG
  • 2005_1102Image0006.JPG

#19 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:03 PM

huh, where'd the pix go????

#20 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 02 November 2005 - 08:59 PM

:eusa_clap Looking good freaky! You'll get it. Look out. + E's heading that way!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!