don't know

Prof. Fanaticus

• Expired Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:55 PM

I was researching on reprints of my PF TEK on the web
and I came across this at a MYCOTOPIA front page

Simple PF tek
For a complete reprint of the original PF-Tek please see this thread in our archives.
https://mycotopia.ne...il-2010-update/

There is a big mistake by MALIKI.

It's all there as it was at my old FANATICUS.COM except that
MALIKI left of the double ended casing tek - this tek is a huge plus -
a necessity to get a really great initial fruiting. In my original COMPLETE
PF TEK I say that you don't need to wait until pinning and can just
birth the completely grown in cake and do the double ended verm
casing technique - very simple and I swear is better and safer
and far more reliable than a dunk, plus when the cake is finished
growing in, it is in very good shape with no crap with it - no waste
and no excess water dripping and seeping. The wet verm feeds the cake
water as the cake needs it.

after the first nice flush, clean the cake and redo the casing, the
cake turns bright white again (from a bluish hue - caused by drying) and
you can get a great second flush. A lot of my photos that were at my old
Fanaticus web site were photos of second flushers!

do it again and get a decent third flush
and even a fourth or fifth until the cake keels over and dies.

so here is what you need. Also, this is the correct answer for
the thread "TO BIRTH OR NOT TO BIRTH" by elixir on this forum.
The answer is to birth as soon as the cake grows in when it is in
its perfect health.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE PF DOUBLE ENDED CAKE CASING TEK

pf2nd.jpg

The photo is of a second flush off of a PF classic spore race cake. This photo was at my old fanaticus.com web site in the mushroom museum. Not only that, this was the photo that local Seattle TV channel five KING showed when they did the newscast of my bust on February 18 2003.

First: In Vitro Primordiation

There are many ways to extend the life of a cake and get more shrooms. The essential pf tek is to always allow primordia to appear on the cake in vitro. But not only that, wait for more. So when you spot the first primordia, wait around 3 to 4 more days before birthing. This stimulates more of them, and then your first flush will be fat. This invitro primordiation works well with most all of the spore races (strains) available. A few of the strains don't primordiate well invitro so they need to be birthed after about a month invitro, and then given the casing treatment.

Second: THE CASING TEK

Another really good way to max fruitings, it to not wait for the invitro primordiation. As soon as the cake turns completely white, it can be birthed and then cased. Immediately after the cake is first birthed is the time for a casing. fill a jar cap with vermiculite, soak it and drain it. Place the cake on top of the wet vermiculite.

Next, pour dry vermiculite onto the top of the cake until it starts to spill off. Flaten the top of the vermiculite with your finger to about 1/8 to 1/4 nch depth. With an eye dropper or old syringe, slowly drip water onto the top dry vermiculite layer until it is soaked completley.

Spraying and maintenance

Once the top layer is totally soaked, place the cake into the terrarium and leave it alone. Follow the Terrarium tek.

CASING AND RECASING
The cake whitening phenomenon

One of the most interesting effects of this tek, is the revitalization of the cake. After the initial fruiting, if it is really fat, the cake will be a bit blued. One of the signs of old age in PF cakes is the bluing that will occur. Most likely, the cause of this overall bluing of the cake is moisture loss and thirst of the cake. When the PF double ended cake casing tek is employed, the cake will gradually turn white again. After about a week under the casing tek, the cake will be completely white again and on its way to a good second flush.

This casing tek seems to work better if you completely clean the cake after the first casing flush and recase with fresh vermiculite. After the flush occurs, the top and bottom vermiculite layers should be scraped off and replaced. A good way to do it is like peeling an apple. Hold the cake in your hand without squeezing, and with a knife, scrap the old vermiculite off the cake. Try to clean down to the surface of the cake. The scraping doesn't hurt the cake at all because these older cakes become "tougher". The mycelium tends to be "tighter" and less fluffy and the cake becomes contamination resistant. This "toughening up" and recasing of the mycelial cake is also reported in the old OSS and OERIC (McKenna brothers) mushroom cultivation book published in 1976.

After the cake is carefully cleaned (rather a painstaking procedure but not difficult), the cake is placed on a freshly soaked and drained bottom layer of vermiculite (on a plate or in a jar cap). Then, fresh dry vermiculite is poured over the top of the cake and smoothed down to a layer of 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch and the basic casing wetting procedure is employed. The spray bottle offers a good way to drip water onto the casing. By slowly squeezing the spray lever, the water will drip out in single drops. You can also use an eye dropper. Slowly wet the top layer. If you apply to much water and it over soaks the vermiculite, the cake can be tilted and excess water drained from the top vermiculite layer.

After every flush - reclean the cake and apply fresh vermiculite. What this does is prevent contaminants from building up. The cakes stay uncontaminated and fruitable for a good two to three months. You can get several flushes out of a properly cared for cake. This casing tek keeps the cake white and uncontaminated for its life duration.

Attached Thumbnails

• pf2nd.jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 25 January 2018 - 05:43 AM.

• hyphaenation likes this

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:10 PM

thx, prof
i'll see it gets added

#3 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:55 PM

i remember the ol' days...
thats the first tek i ever saw
and was what started it all for me..
thnx PF..:)..also the first time i
heard about hippie3's neglect tek...
lol...where would the OMC be without
you guys...;)

#4 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 20 October 2005 - 05:28 PM

Right On! Thanks Professor!!!!!!
:bow:

I still have that old pf tek book somewhere...................

#5 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:53 AM

It's a damn honor! :) :heartbeat:

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 08:39 AM

ok,
i added your material Prof.

but
i must say,
the double ended casing was not part of the original PF tek,
i distinctly remember when PF finally became convinced that
DE casing was good and added it to his tek.
the old posts on alt.drugs.mushrooms are proly still archived somewhere,
and the old pix show the DE casing was a late developement in the PF tek
and not PF's own idea,
rather like my invitro tek which PF added even later.
he still doesn't much like my dunk tek tho'....
:lol:

#7 don't know

don't know

Prof. Fanaticus

• Expired Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:22 PM

ok,
i added your material Prof.
but
i must say,
the double ended casing was not part of the original PF tek,
i distinctly remember when PF finally became convinced that
DE casing was good and added it to his tek.
the old posts on alt.drugs.mushrooms are proly still archived somewhere,
and the old pix show the DE casing was a late developement in the PF tek
and not PF's own idea,
rather like my invitro tek which PF added even later.
he still doesn't much like my dunk tek tho'....

The DEC tek was added to the fanaticus web site in 1998 because of the idiotic 1998 spore wars with HAWKEYE and his attack dog, SHAFT 420. Hip was in on that, and after I posted that great fruiting of the Treasure Coast by way of the DEC tek, HIP became my supporter.
So the DEC tek was at FANATICUS.COM since 1998 - so that was five years. Yeah it aint original, but it is the only added tek to the PF TEK that really rocks hard. Plus, the DEC was in my printed book - that makes it official.
And your invitro tek was in the PF TEK from the beginning. Check out the photo of primordia formation while the cake is still in the jar - that's invitro fruiting for sure and was an important point with the PF TEK from the very beginning, even when the PF TEK was in it's 12 page KINKOS photocopy form starting in 1991.
Dunking is cool but the DEC covers that and works better. The DEC feeds the water over time, a dunk only feeds water while the dunk is happening. The DEC is like a continual dunk, which makes it more effective. You need to do side by side tests to see this!!!!! I have done all of that. I check shit out very closely before I declare its value. I use the scientific method.
The Professor
  • DanceOfBliss likes this

#8 don't know

don't know

Prof. Fanaticus

• Expired Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 October 2005 - 02:11 PM

HEY HIP:

Thanx for putting the DEC tek on the reprint, but you put it on last. For the right sequencing, the DEC tek should be right after the CAKE BIRTH section. Also, the pf2nd.jpg photo at the very bottom should be placed at the top of the DEC tek section where the (pf2nd.jpg) notice is. Then you got the basic PF TEK by PF at your site.

and by the way - do you know where a good mirror site is of my late but great FANATICUS.COM web site?? It should even have that FBI report and the inner reservoir teks and my latest version of the ethenol extraction tek.

The Professor

#9 viraljimmy

viraljimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 05:04 AM

http://web.archive.o..._/FANATICUS.COM

#10 bluecat

bluecat

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:20 AM

Prof., it's funny you posted this now. i was looking at your 2001 pf tek book just yesterday. the thing that stood out to me was how clear the photos came out. i was wondering how that book was printed. was it on a regular printing press? besides the amazing tek, i am continually impressed with your direct to the point, simple, and complete writing style, as well as noticing the quality of those photos. glad to see you posting here. Bluecat

#11 don't know

don't know

Prof. Fanaticus

• Expired Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:46 AM

Thanx VIRILJIMMY for that link - that looks pretty complete.

Prof., it's funny you posted this now. i was looking at your 2001 pf tek book just yesterday. the thing that stood out to me was how clear the photos came out. i was wondering how that book was printed. was it on a regular printing press? besides the amazing tek, i am continually impressed with your direct to the point, simple, and complete writing style, as well as noticing the quality of those photos. glad to see you posting here. Bluecat

Yeah it was a regular printer. The photos were just the same digital ones I used. I worked on that book for years to get the info clear and easily understandle.
When you go to the MYCOTOPIA TEK page the two teks at the top of the list are these two. First of all, what is so "simple" about the "SIMPLE CUBENSIS GROWING GUIDE"??? ANd then the "SIMPLE PF TEK" is pretty lame but there is a link to the MYCOTOPIA reprint of my original PF TEK from FANATICUS.COM.
So why not put MALIKI's reprint of my essential PF TEK as written by me from my original late but great FANATICUS.COM at the top of the list and just get it over with? (as long as the DEC tek is inserted right after birthing the cake with the pf2nd.jpg at the top of the DEC tek section) - than that is the TRUE PF TEK that these others are just bugged up versions. It's like when I hear that old hit song called "A FIFTH OF BEETHOVEN" (instrumental) I want to puke. When I hear the real thing, I cheer and sing along.
SIMPLE CUBENSIS GROWING GUIDE
http://www.mycotopia...ticle.php?3.255
Simple PF tek
For a complete reprint of the original PF-Tek please see this thread in our archives.
http://www.mycotopia...icle.php?11.255
why make the original PF TEK a mere "THREAD". It should be at the top of the list since these to bugged up versions are at the TOP of the list already.
The Professor

#12 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:55 AM

well, i wrote that 'simple pf tek' which is faithful to the original,
just reduced verbiage.
the 'simple cubensis guide' has some nice pictures.
both were placed out there before your site went down,
at which time there was no reason to have your tek
as it was up there, plus at 2 more mirror sites we linked to
however now all 3 are gone.
still we retain the tek in our archves
cross-linked to numerous other documents
by search engines.
really
your remaining complaint seems to be mostly about
getting top billing,
stroking your ego.
i suppose that i can accomodate you,
not that you would return any favor.
i'll see about adding the link to maliki's re-print.
don't neglect to say
thank you.
:)

#13 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:33 AM

Imo the PF Tec is a work of genius and the architect deserves a presentation true to the creators desighn and original form...
Not that u asked my opinion -but there it is...

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:36 AM

you should stick up a mirror site and host his tek,
if you feel strongly about it.
the old ones are gone...

#15 don't know

don't know

Prof. Fanaticus

• Expired Member
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:16 PM

Imo the PF Tec is a work of genius and the architect deserves a presentation true to the creators desighn and original form...
Not that u asked my opinion -but there it is...

Damn right! And Hip is also right in that my EGO needs servicing. Maliki's reprint is what was at the late great FANATICUS.COM. So my apologies for slamming the "simple" teks. It is just that that word "SIMPLE" rubs me the wrong way. And according to my EGO, "simple" is better put - "SOPHISTICATED - SUBLIME - EFFICIENT - PERFECT - ADVANCED etc etc."
"SIMPLE" diverts what it is all about.
SO THANK YOU VERY MUCH Hippie for your expert support and handling of my "complaint". Your'e the man around here!
The Professor

#16 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:20 PM

i think the word you're searching for =
'elegant'

describes an idea, plan or solution that is clever but simple, and therefore attractive

you're welcome, pf.
:bow:

#17 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:32 PM

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

#18 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:12 PM

Hip was in on that, and after I posted that great fruiting of the Treasure Coast by way of the DEC tek, HIP became my supporter.

[editorial note: pf's a bit off on the time line, getting old i suppose.]
actually i became your defender before that,
that's why ryche and the shroomery and ythan turned against me.

#19 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:03 PM

[editorial note: pf's a bit off on the time line, getting old i suppose.]
actually i became your defender before that,
that's why ryche and the shroomery and ythan turned against me.

I remember that too. Truth is I used to be a little jealous of you Hip. I remember when PF first told me about you. I thought it was even before you started the topia. But I could be wrong. I just found out I am an oldtimer on another thread here and I guess it's true. My memory is a bit foggy on the subject.

#20 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:28 PM

correct,
it was 2-3 years later that i started 'topia

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!