manure...you ever use composted
cow manure before..?

#22 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:59 AM

Nice! I've been using some horse manure too. It's really easy to work with and if pasturized right will colonize with ease. The only thing I couldn't bare thinking of when not casing horse manure is the fruit attaching itself to the substrate too hard. I guess it really depends on the strain used. The one i'm working with really attaches itself to the substrate well and when it's harvest time, chunks are taken out of the substrate. Nice job!

#23 blackout

blackout

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:04 AM

I have been thinking about the attached shit. It seems disgusting at first but I eat the skins on my baked potatoes all the time, and I bet many are grown in manure enhanced soil. They are cooked up in the oven, but so is your poo, or well pastuerised at least. I find cleaning any bases a chore, I have considered chopping off the base part and extracting the actives from it. Or making them into a nice shitty shroom cake for my grandmother to deliver into the local copshop :D

I rely on my casing to provide the humidity, does the manure by itself add much humidity, or are you guys using humidifiers/perlite

#24 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:12 AM

If your substrtate to volume of grow chamber ratio is adequate then you need no other source for humidity (a plastic tub full of sustrate with lid on). If you are growing a few shrooms in a bowl of manure and the bowl is in a mini-greenhouse then, yes, you need some way to keep the rH levels up.

#25 sadsoul

sadsoul

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 199 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:14 AM

Dame thats a beautyful casing ......and i love the pics too.
great job Freak ..................................................................................

Sincerely ................///////////////

#26 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for the kind words, I'm guessing they'll be ready in a few days. Hoping for some nice prints :D

I don't mind the attached poo to the bases, when fan dried, it either blows off or after they are dry it comes off easily with a soft toothbrush. And there isn't any verm used to embed itself in the stems. Verm is the hardest to remove imo.

Lazlo, yes, I've noticed some strains root themselves deeper in the manure than others. Sometimes I get holes but if the humidity is right and its moist enough at harvest time they usually twist and pull off without creating craters in the substrate. Thats what I like about the EQ's this way, they tend to go right on the very top mycelium layer and will usually tip off the substrate from the weight of the cap. They essentially pick themselves, thats why I cloned this particular strain of them. I like your cardboard tek, and I'm going to give it a run with these as I'd like to clone my clone.

For my tubs of poo, like Dial8 said, the tub keeps the manure substrate humid and moist enough. For my bowls, I use a coolmist to provide humidity.

PJ, I love the horse manure, free, easy to use, and endless supply. I haven't tried cow yet, but am working on finding a source. Just way more horses than cows where I am.

#27 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:13 PM

First Flush is in!!!! Love those Ecuadors! Thanks for lookin'! Going to case it and inject some sterile water into the substrate. I might birth it out of the bowl too to let it breath.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2005_1024Image0007.JPG
  • EQclone10-25Flush1Drying.JPG
  • EQclone10-25Flush1D.JPG
  • EQclone10-25Flush1C.JPG
  • EQclone10-25Flush1B.JPG

#28 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:22 PM

MMMMMM MMM! :heartbeat

#29 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

Lovely ending shots. :)

#30 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:24 PM

I hate being picky, sadsoul, but I just want to clarify. This is not a casing. It is uncased horse manure.

Dame thats a beautyful casing ......and i love the pics too.
great job Freak ..................................................................................

Sincerely ................///////////////

#31 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:27 PM

Thanks, its fun to watch em grow up!
Dial8 is correct, it is a manure substrate. I didn't case it with anything, just spawned to the pastuerized manure.
In thinking also, :smokin: Since this thread is titled, "uncased", I will leave it just like that and we will see how the sub holds up and flushes etc. This way we can see what happens with it. I still am thinking of birthing it from the bowl, maybe after 2nd flush:eusa_pray

#32 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:06 PM

Nicely done! :teeth:

#33 apprentice

apprentice

MENTAlchemist

• Free Member
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:40 PM

Lovely 1st flush, did you get a wieght for it?

#34 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 03:02 PM

I didn't feel like messing with wet weight. I'll post a dry weight for it here in a few days.

I'm guessing it was about 250 to 300 grams wet. Thats just a guess going by how it felt in my hands. Dry weight will be truer and these are getting stored as I give them away for Christmas presents :D

Thanx and glad ya'll like the pix

#35 1dumbmyco

1dumbmyco

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:31 AM

Gotta love those pointy tops on EQ, like asian strains, but different.

#36 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:26 AM

I like the pointy tops too, and whats cool is EQ pops the nipple only after it breaks the veil and the cap opens all the way. At least from my experiences and observations :)

#37 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:36 AM

nice flush freaky...;)
gottta love EQ's..

#38 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:22 PM

Thanks Pcsilly!!!!!

The prints turned out fairly nice. Gonna donate some to topia :)

#39 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 10:49 PM

Beautiful!!!

#40 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts