15 replies to this topic

#1 PsyBearknot

PsyBearknot

Psyche-Killa

• 5,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:22 PM

Pretty basic questions here

If one would follow the invitro tek in the vaults/archives but had 1 pint wide mouth jars, instead of 1/2 pint wide mouth jars would everything be doubled? Or should one use only the amount for the 1/2 pint in the 1 pint jar? If doubling the amonts to put in the 1 pint jar would you still fill to the bottom of the threads and then top off with verm or do you need to double that space amount too? Or does it even matter?

#2 OZZZ

OZZZ

Occultus munia es in nos

• Free Member
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:32 PM

Doesnt matter, I found this today, I had been using it as a master to G2G to other wbs jars.

I didnt put it in the fridge but left it in the incubator ... it was inoculated originally on 9/23 and I have dug in it and damaged it all up with a spoon on two seperate occasions. Definately didnt want invitro ... I guess it was tired of being my master lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:35 PM

I've noticed with Pint jars, it takes longer to colonizing leaving the mycelium at the top more mature, my jars pinned up early at about 90%, particularly the ones I inject right in the middle, took a long time to show any growth at all but they did awesome!

#4 STLawesome

STLawesome

Residing in a dark hollow

• Expired Member
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:01 AM

For Swims pint jars he uses the PF tek but doubles it. He says that about a third of them show signs of invitro growth before they are birthed.

Like Scatterman said before they are fully colonized the pins are there. If you are gonna case them just pick the tiny fruits off and go on with your buisness.

#5 steveK

steveK

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

How about starting them in 1/2 pint jars and then taking out the cakes when they are colonized and putting them in pint jars,thats what Im doing now.

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:22 PM

that's a form of what we call the chronic tek - works great

#7 steveK

steveK

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:28 PM

thanks hippie3 for the response. I was thinking though that these smaller pint jars may be better in couple ways than the quart jars recommended in chronic tek. First of all wouldnt they be better for humidity since there is less airspace ? Also I read somewhere that mushrooms should be picked before they get too big,since they lose potency after a certain size. If this is true it would seem that the smaller jars would discourage these huge mushrooms in favor of more of the smaller or medium ones.

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:33 PM

mushrooms should be picked before they get too big,since they lose potency after a certain size.

not exactly correct.
just pick after the veil ruptures
for 'optimum' potency-
but don't kid yourself,
the little ones can blow your head
clean off...

#9 steveK

steveK

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

Thanks again hippie3 I cant wait until I can do my own comparisons between big and small shrooms. Anyhow I bought some 1.5 L jars last night because they were out of the 1 L jars at Canadian Tire. I hope they wont be too big,since I am sure they are bigger than the quart jars recommended.

#10 steveK

steveK

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

Well after about a week in the bigger jars there seems to be little happening. Th first day was looking good for a couple of them with lots of very small pins. After a couple days later many of them seemed to dissappear and now a couple have pins still but not as many as then. I did take a few of them out before they were fully colonized ,two of them had big cracks in the middle since they nearly fell apart taking them out of the jars but the exposed substrate is now covered with myc fortunately. Does this sound normal,the cakes look ok otherwise?

#11 fungusfarmer

fungusfarmer

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

I agree with Hip. I had a flush of tiny little fellas and they turned out to be some of the most potent. Usually 4-5 grams does me, but 4-5 grams of those were a little much.

#12 steveK

steveK

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:02 AM

heres a couple pics of a couple of my cakes about 1 week after I put them in the bigger jars. As you can see the first one has a big crack in the middle ,but its now fully colonized. There isnt a whole lot of humidity showing on the jars but there is some. Would it help if I increased humidity by misting the inside of jars or putting wet perlite at the bottom. The cakes are on raisers so the wont get wet if I do add wet perlite. Anyhow ,if they look perfectly normal for one week out of original jars then maybe someone could just reassure me by saying so,thank you

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2070.JPG
  • DSCF2071.JPG

#13 Guest_nba1138_*

Guest_nba1138_*

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

:thumbup:Those are some sexy cakes, man!

No actual input, just props!!

#14 steveK

steveK

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 12:16 PM

Well thank you,I feel much better now,I thought maybe they should be pinning by now

#15 steveK

steveK

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

Well if this invitro method doesnt work for me,Im just going to go with the DE casing method,since that seems to make a lot of sense and works for a lot of people. Would I be able to combine DE casing with the invitro method as well?

#16 steveK

steveK

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:49 PM

Finally! I just checked one of my jars this morning and noticed some small shrooms growing at the bottom. I can hardly believe it finally happened since those cakes werent doing anything for about 2 weeks. The other 2 also have 1 very small shroom each at the bottom as well. Anyhow Im soo glad to know chronic tek is working for me,I must be one of the happiest dudes on earth today,sorry if I have been asking too many questions around here,especially if they have been answered before!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF2135[1].jpg

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!