1365 replies to this topic

#1361 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,901 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:52 PM

I always wanted to like seafood more than I do. I imagine if I lived a few states closer to the ocean it may have come more naturally. Those halibut steaks look really good though. Hard to turn down a nice piece of fish

The bbq might be the highlight of my summer, you just can't beat grilled meat's. As well it feels like suicide to cook something in the oven with my shitty ac. Lasagna can wait until fall, I have to many cheeseburgers and steak's to destroy in the mean time.

Edited by flashingrooster, 06 August 2020 - 04:52 PM.

• Skywatcher, Juthro and Mycol like this

#1362 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:09 PM

Last night I patted dry some pork tenderloins then mixed mustard, spicy mustard, honey and pepper to slather on those tenderloins . But them in a pan on medium heat then poured some red wine in there that was too sweet to drink, for me. Covered and Let that braise until it temped at 120 on the thickest part . Transferred that to a searing hot pan with a little oil on it until I got all sides nice and dark brown .
Deglazed the searing pan with red wine and put those juices in with the original wine and mustard pan. Let that reduce til it got nice and thick. Served with sautéed peppers, onions and asparagus .
My SO wants me to make it again soon hope I remember how lol

Edited by Mycol, 06 August 2020 - 07:11 PM.

• Skywatcher, Juthro and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#1363 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,901 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 August 2020 - 06:22 PM

Take a picture next time, sounds tasty

• Mycol likes this

#1364 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,015 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:50 PM

Here are a couple of nice sockeye salmon fillets, developing a pellicle before smoking.

DSC_0749r.1.jpg

EDIT:  This was a nice sized fish.  What you see on the rack is one side cut in half, so there is a mirror image rack with two more fillets from the other side of the fish.  It filled 9 half pint jars with smoked salmon,  the canner is coming up to temp now :)

Edited by Juthro, 15 August 2020 - 07:26 PM.

• ElPirana and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#1365 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,015 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:42 AM

So here is an artisan style olive bread that I did up in the dutch oven.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0062.1.jpg

• ElPirana and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#1366 roscoe

roscoe

Not a mycologist.

• OG VIP
  • 2,892 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 04:02 AM

So here is an artisan style olive bread that I did up in the dutch oven.

Oh that looks chewy!

Today I started 7 new lacto ferments.

Big juicy plums (1/2 gal jar), that when done fermenting (about 3-4 weeks) will be dehydrated into salididos.

A chickpea deal (1/2 gal jar) with Indian spices, celery, raisins, apples, yellow onions, habaneros, corn, and garlic. This will be PC'ed for 30 minutes, after its done its 30 days on the kitchen counter.

A green lentil ferment (1/2 gal jar), same as above.

A brown rice ferment (1/2 gal jar),with seaweed, celery, garlic, habaneros, tomatoes, and apples.

A white rice ferment (1/2 gal jar), same as above.

An Habaero, ginger, celery ferment (quart jar). These skunky dudes only take about 2 weeks to ferment, and are great on pizza, nachos, or any thing that needs some heat.

And one over flow (quart) jar of yellow cherry tomatoes, and corn. I have no idea what I'm gonna do with this. But the great thing about fermenting veggies, is that it's like pressing the pause button on ripe fruits and veggies.  You literally have months to figure out a dish, so much less waste.

Speaking of waste, I bagged up all the scraps from my 7 new ferments, and popped them in the freezer, for veggie broth once soup weather gets here.

One of my favorite ferments is to prepare it as if you are making a dank pasta sauce. Rough chop all ingredients, toss em in a jar, cover with brine (2 tblsp sea salt per quart of liquid), and let it sit on the counter until the bubbling has stopped + a week. Then I drain the brine and puree the veg, and its ready to eat. Or you can cook it down for even more flavor.

If you fill the jar, so that when you put the top on (just tight enough to feel the seal squish a tad) brine leaks out, you don't have to use an airlock. Even if you let it sit out for a few months, as long as you top off the brine as the CO2 pushes it out of the jar. If you forget to top it off for a few days, you should expect some white yeasty growth. No biggie just skim it off, and rock on. Though I try my best to remember because I don't care for the flavor that the yeast imparts to the ferment, especially habaneros.

• Juthro and ElPirana like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!