#1381 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,576 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2021 - 01:47 PM

I'll go either way on the hot sauce.   I used to be a franks guy, but I've since turned snobbish, and only use my homemade sauce now, if I'm going to swing that way (it is the bomb though, real smokey, with a nice after bite, but without the vinegar hit you get from Franks or Tabasco :).  Mostly I just hit it straight  out of the fridge, the hot sauce is more likely to be used when the Z is still hot and fresh.

• rockyfungus likes this

#1382 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:57 PM

I may need that recipe. Hot sauce is for subpar pizza.

I make a chili oil and was going to figure a sauce out with my non-existent habaneros
  • Juthro likes this

#1383 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,576 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 September 2021 - 05:11 PM

Happy to share brother.

My recipe is take one cup of water and add to that.

.3 oz of dried felicity peppers (home grown, and smoked died.  It is the secret of the smoke flavor to my sauce)

.1 oz dried Thai chili

.6 oz  dried chipotle

let them soak for about 10 or 15 min.  Now add

1/2 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp b sugar

bring to a boil and hold for 2 min.  Remove from heat and add 1/4 cup cider vinegar.  Let is cool enough to handle, then run it all through the blender, strain it to remove the seeds, and bottle.  You can do what ever combo of dried peppers you want, just make sure they total up to 1oz to match the rest of the recipe.   It makes about 1.5 hot sauce bottles worth of sauce. 

The stuff you strain out also makes a good chili paste for cooking with, but it tends to be a bit hotter then the sauce itself, as all the seeds are in it.

Edited by Juthro, 18 September 2021 - 05:23 PM.

• rockyfungus likes this

#1384 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 413 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 09:45 AM

In the sub-tropics, Wallgeckos are a thing. Crazy motherfuckers; They'll jump off the 15 foot ceiling to grab bugs in the air; landing with a 'SMACK!' on the floor, or on the mosquito net. And they make this wild 'Eeek Eeek Eeek' birdish call that I swear must be laughing. 

This morning, one happened to be unfortunately positioned with it's tail in my front door, I didn't notice till my opening the door caused it's amputation.

There's enough vital energy in one of those tails to flop around for a solid minute after disconnection. I, in my totally curious caffinated havent yet eaten breakfast state, observed it with childlike glee; then picked it up and continued to feel it flop around in my hand.

Sorry to cause inadvertent pain to such a creature as somewhat keeps my bedroom less buggy (and, just for being an intelligent being in the first place), I didn't want it's pain and loss to be in vain; and also, because I hope that by consuming it's flesh i'll absorb the functional part of it's genetic code that allows me to regrow limbs, I ate it while it was still twitching. Horizontal gene Transfer FTW. 

Tasted a bit like raw fish. Not unpleasant. 

#1385 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,576 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 September 2021 - 06:00 PM

Mixed up a little teriyaki sauce (soy sauce, fresh ground ginger, B sugar, minced garlic, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and water), and I am marinating a couple of nice sockeye salmon fillets in it. 

I used about half the sauce in a freezer bag  with the fish to marinade, and the other half I reserved to thicken up with some corn starch to go over the top of the fish once it's pan fried up, with the remainder of the sauce going on white rice.

• rockyfungus likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!