#1481 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,080 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2022 - 02:23 PM

What kind of vessel do you cook your roasts in, Rocky?  I generally just give my roasts a light rub of kosher salt, and then brown them.  Then drop'em it in a cast iron Dutch oven with a bunch of root veggies, and some beef stock.   I also really like to add about 1/3 to a 1/2 cup of mushroom ketchup, a healthy shot of 'shire sauce, and some fresh thyme to my roasts.   It will definitely give some flavor to both the meat, and the spuds, carrots, and onions that the roast is setting on.

Another quick and easy way to season up a roast is to dump a packet of dry onion soup mix on top.  My mom used to do that a lot when I was a kid, so to me it's kind of a nostalgic thing.  The flavors brings back memories.

• FLASHINGROOSTER and rockyfungus like this

#1482 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,278 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2022 - 03:11 PM

I use a cast iron enamel. So I can sear and keep that fond to deglaze. Just saying even with all that smoke and sugar and various spices didn't taste different then a standard salt/pepper, potato, onion type a deal. 
I always forget the 'schire. Adding a ton of shiitake and oysters was trying to get some of that umami out. 

Oh yeah the Liptons roast is classic for Brisket too.

I used to make a mean brisket till my stomach started hating red meat.

• Juthro and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#1483 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,080 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2022 - 05:06 PM

I've thought about getting one of the enamel coated cast iron pots, but I've got a limited amount of kitchen storage space.  So I just keep using my black cast iron Dutch oven.

Mixed up a small loaf (1lb) of some white bread today.  It turned out very light, and fluffy. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0127r.1.jpg

• ElPirana, FLASHINGROOSTER and rockyfungus like this

#1484 rockyfungus

rockyfungus

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 2,278 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 February 2022 - 10:42 PM

Cast enamel has it pros and cons. Nothing better then IRON for fire. Cast enamel for those dishes that go from stove to oven and really don't want to deal with seasoning anymore.

Air fryer gets way more use. Like too much use. It's like a box store cheapo thing and has surpassed some expensive cookware.

Dude. I just threw lemon curd and cream cheese on a loaf. HOLY SHIT. Like a lemon danish. Sparked from watching an awful gordon ramsay show. 

[Direct Link]

3:30mins

Plus lately my taste buds love lemon deserts. 

4 tbsp Lemon Curd
1 Large Lemon, preferably Amalfi
6-8 Basil Leaves
6-8 tsp Creme Fraiche
Powdered (Icing) Sugar, to dust

Edited by rockyfungus, 20 February 2022 - 10:47 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#1485 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 3,315 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2022 - 10:24 AM

Something with that dry onion soup mix its hard to deny it. I made some French onion meatballs the other day and even though it has plenty of onion adding some of that mix seems to make it even better.

It is fairly similar to French onion soup. Fry up your meatballs, then onions in meatball grease, then drain off a bit of fat if you please and add meatballs back in with some stock, cover generously in cheese and let reduce a bit to make a nice sauce. If you have a pan you can stick in the oven even better to bake the cheese.

I used to always make more of a sweet and sour sauce as my favorite meatballs but this one stands right along side it.

• Juthro and rockyfungus like this

#1486 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 12:40 PM

Easiest and one of the best meatloafs I've ever tasted.

2 lb ground beef. 85/15. Or 90/10. Anything else is too fatty.

Get one box of stove top style cornbread dressing and one 7-8 ounce can of tomato sauce.

Mix together and bake 45-55 min @ 350 F

Easy and delicious
  • Juthro, FLASHINGROOSTER and rockyfungus like this

#1487 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,080 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 February 2022 - 01:34 PM

Easiest and one of the best meatloafs I've ever tasted.

2 lb ground beef. 85/15. Or 90/10. Anything else is too fatty.

Get one box of stove top style cornbread dressing and one 7-8 ounce can of tomato sauce.

Mix together and bake 45-55 min @ 350 F

Easy and delicious

I assume you add the spice packet from the corn bread stuffing also?  It's been so long since I've had stove top stuffing that I cant remember if the spices come in their own packet, or are already mixed in with the bread cubes.

I would be tempted to add some additional spices.  Mustard powder, some chopped onions,  garlic,  mushroom ketchup, maybe a little thyme, and sage....   I do like a flavorful meatloaf.

Edited by Juthro, 21 February 2022 - 03:59 PM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#1488 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 642 posts

Posted 22 February 2022 - 06:48 AM

Nothing extra, except once we added a cup of frozen mixed veggies.

I prefer a sweet ketchup sauce as a topping and mix brown sugar and rice wine vinegar into a cup of ketchup to top it with when I pull from oven.
  • Juthro and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!