has anyone had any luck with just pcing jars for a hour instead of 2 or 1 1/2

#2 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

Yes, I usually do the pre-soak method and pc for 1 hr at 15 psi.

#3 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

1 hour is sufficient, so long as your pressure is at 15psi, 1 hour beginning from the time it hits 15... but if I am loaded to the brim with jars or using bags, I then up the time to 1.5-2hrs.

#4 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

1 hour is sufficient, so long as your pressure is at 15psi, 1 hour beginning from the time it hits 15... but if I am loaded to the brim with jars or using bags, I then up the time to 1.5-2hrs.

Yup, same here. :rasta:

#5 M&M420

M&M420

Eternity Intern

• Validating
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

don't mean to hijack your thread but I've been having problems with my wbs aswell.I cooked 6 quart jars at 10 psi for 90 minutes and knocked them up with multi-spore around 6 days ago and haven't seen any growth at all.I did add about a cm of verm at the bottom just to ensure that there wouldn't be too much moisture.I don't think that the verm soaked up too much moisture from the look of it but now I'm not sure.I used around 4 cc's per jar so even if this was the case the moisture from that should have got it back to capacity ,right?I made 3 more jars around 3 days ago and shot them up with lc just to see if the spores were bad and haven't seen anything out of them yet either.I'm not even getting contams.Maybe the verm was a bad idea.Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

#6 Foster

Foster

cyanophile

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,254 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

Sounds ok still, be patient mm420. The verm should be ok. I do the same.

#7 dazeD

dazeD

The Giver

• Expired Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:55 PM

just got done pc'ing some wbs jars and i think water got into them, u think thell be alright

#8 Calaquendi

Calaquendi

Reflection

• OG VIP
  • 820 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:56 PM

don't mean to hijack your thread but I've been having problems with my wbs aswell.I cooked 6 quart jars at 10 psi for 90 minutes and knocked them up with multi-spore around 6 days ago and haven't seen any growth at all.I did add about a cm of verm at the bottom just to ensure that there wouldn't be too much moisture.I don't think that the verm soaked up too much moisture from the look of it but now I'm not sure.I used around 4 cc's per jar so even if this was the case the moisture from that should have got it back to capacity ,right?I made 3 more jars around 3 days ago and shot them up with lc just to see if the spores were bad and haven't seen anything out of them yet either.I'm not even getting contams.Maybe the verm was a bad idea.Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

dont think yer doin anything wrong, friend. but i would scratch the vermiculite and cook at 15psi for an hour. this has worked very well for swim and pals. pretty experienced with this growing medium and once u get the correct moisture levels WBS is very workable. trick is to get the grain saturated with water but not bursting the kernels, or having any excess water accumulation in the jars. once u get a 'feel' for it i think this is the best (certainly cheapest) method for growing, especially growing bulk. my two cents>> good luck!

#9 dazeD

dazeD

The Giver

• Expired Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:00 AM

even though a bit moist it should still work right, afterall the water in there is sterile and i will be using lc so it will all just be food right?

#10 Mermaidia

Mermaidia

Sober Sister

• Expired Member
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:34 AM

When you get grain that is too wet to start, then you add more moisture on top of that it increases the risk for wet spot. There is a delicate balance with moisture content. Too much could equal a bacterial contamination, too little will retard the germination and growth of the mycelium. It is "food" but not always for the thing we want to grow. :)

#11 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:32 AM

If your PC only goes up to 10psi, as some only will, 90min should be okay. WBS can easily take up to a week or so before you see any mycelium, but once it starts, it seems to really take off. BR tends to take a shorter period of time. I think that much of it has to do with the fact that, since mycelium excretes metabolites that breaks down food outside of the organism in order to digest it, it takes a little bit more work for myc to start breaking down the WBS, tougher shells and all... at least that's my opinion. I tried a mixture of BRF and WBS a couple of days ago to see if it expedites growth which, I expect, will...

Patience, though, is something you'll learn in mushroom cultivation if nothing else!

#12 M&M420

M&M420

Eternity Intern

• Validating
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:18 AM

Thanks for the tips.My pc only goes to 10 psi that's why I had the extra 30 minutes.But this morning I can see where the mycelium in one of the jars that I used lc on starting to take hold.So I'm sure that the others aren't too far behind.I think your right about the shells taking longer to digest sangraal.I just do a quick soak and simmer by bringing a pot of boiling water to boil and dumping the WBS in and put the lid on.I leave it there for about an hour and drain for 20 minutes in a colander.Once I get a few of these colonized I'm going to try a G2G.Mostly to just experiment but if it makes a big difference than I'll be exercising it more often.

#13 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

Yes, I usually do the pre-soak method and pc for 1 hr at 15 psi.

same he 60 min @ 15 psi
best tek to follow
http://mycotopia.net...-technique.html

#14 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• Expired Member
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:12 AM

same he 60 min @ 15 psi
best tek to follow
http://mycotopia.net...-technique.html

just chiming in that I also have found this to be a wonderful method. Hasn't failed me yet. Only one jar has contamed. ever.
Also try and pull the sunflower seeds out. It's a PITA but worth it. There was a thread a while back where they noced up with sunflower seeds and without. Those without seemed to go a little better, as the sunflower seeds didn't really colo. very well at all.

#15 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

Not a fan of sunflower seeds either, but it's not hard to fish them out. Just pour what seeds you're going to use into a bowl or just use the same pot that you're going to soak in... run water several inches over the top of the seeds and stir/shake it around. Almost all of the sunflower seeds will float to the surface...just scoop off the top.

Or just get Finch seed. It's a little more expensive, but no sunflower seeds... 90% millet, which is what you want, anyway.

#16 dazeD

dazeD

The Giver

• Expired Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:51 AM

well i shot up jars today anyways hope they will work.....4 days ago i inoculated a couple and they r almost half colonized, but i dont think they were that wet, but i do notice that where the water was sitin on the bottom the little myc soldiers have taken over and soaked it all up lookin good:eusa_clap, should i shake jar?

#17 sangraal

sangraal

Gnowledge in Gnature

• Expired Member
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:53 AM

50% colonized? Yeah, give it a good shake...

#18 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• Expired Member
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

Awesome input sangraal! Thanks, I will tell the woman that when I get home! She will be happy to not sit around at night picking seeds with me! (At least it was a family affair!:amazed:)

#19 dazeD

dazeD

The Giver

• Expired Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

I ALREADY see signs of growth damn thats quick :eusa_clap

#20 RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 384 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:57 AM

I ALREADY see signs of growth damn thats quick :eusa_clap

i dropped about 1 teaspoon of colonized rye into a pint jar of wbs . the jar is now more than 50% colonized after 48 hours .

i guess the speed really has to do with how lively the innoculant is .

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!