• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 finite_synapses

finite_synapses

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

I am currently pasteurizing some 2:1 of coir/cow poo and have built a monotub with polyfill-stuffed airholes in them. Will take pics as the progress continues.

#2 helloinsomnia

helloinsomnia

goodbye blue monday

• Expired Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:01 AM

Good luck!:cool:

#3 gsmith1981

gsmith1981

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:18 AM

:cool:
keep us posted

#4 finite_synapses

finite_synapses

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:31 AM

Alright, here's what I did. I did all of my prep work in the bathroom, which required an extremely thorough cleaning of the bathroom. I put all my hand towels and bathroom accessories into plastic bags and placed them under the sink cabinet, then wiped every surface down with bleach water, poured bleach down all my drains, then lysoled the shit out of the bathroom. Literally almost half a can. I was practically gagging as I left the bathroom to let everything evaporate and do its disinfecting deeds.
I then took a 5 gallon water cooler, sat it in the bath tub, filled a pillow case with my substrate, put the substrate in, filled that with the hottest tap water I could, checked the temp, which was right at 145, then added boiling water until the temperature hit 165. I put the lid on and left it to sit for 1.5 hrs. After the time was up, I took out the pillowcase and hung it on my shower curtain rod to let it cool and lose all the excess moisture.
After the substrate had cooled down to room temperature, I took my monotub, which is a 28 qt tub, put on my gloves, wiped the gloves down with rubbing alcohol, let the rubbing alcohol dry, and started with the mixing of substrate and whole long grain brown rice, which was completely colonized. I made sure to try to separate all of the rice down to individual kernels, in order to maximize colonization points, and got it all mixed up to the best consistency I could get. I only used 2 quarts of grain, but I imagine it should be fine, considering the insanely rhizomorphic mycelia. It turned out that I made up just a bit too much substrate, so I filled up a little 6 quart container with the excess and spawned the rest of the grain to that. After everything was thoroughly mixed, I sprinkled some grain on top, in order to get the top to colonize first, and to hopefully prevent infection.
Now the waiting game is on. The grain is already showing signs of recovery, some 6 hours after I spawned the grain to my substrate. However, in hindsight, I feel like I skimped a bit too much on the grain. I only used something along the lines of 1:6... I guess I shall have to wait and see.
One question... should I put something over the two containers in order to lower the amount of light that is going through the containers? It stays pretty dark where they are located, but it's by no means DARK. Also, that picture of the substrate showed up extremely light for some reason, and I didn't edit it. The substrate is at a good moisture level, rest assured.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1700.jpg
  • 100_1699.jpg
  • 100_1698.jpg
  • 100_1697.jpg

#5 kswissbob

kswissbob

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:48 AM

looks good so far. im gonna keep an eye on this tub. i just knocked up some Z-strain jars that i plan on useing for a monotub so ill be watching you!

#6 Guest_big2us_*

Guest_big2us_*

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:10 AM

looking good so far the z strain has done really well for me it is really aggresive:dance:

#7 Renz

Renz

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:08 AM

Good luck!:cool:

ya totally...good luck!

#8 finite_synapses

finite_synapses

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:42 PM

Here are some pictures of the growing process. Pictures 1-5 are of a small container. 6-10 are of a monotub. These pictures were taken every 1.5 days after spawning. One week's worth of progression. I'm thinking I may need to add a larger layer of substrate between the grains and surface, to encourage a more even pinset, since my pinset isn't doing increbidly well, as shown in pic 11. Maybe a late casing will help? not certain. advice appreciated. I started 7 jars of WBS but they all contaminated. I think my sterile procedure had to have been worse than needed, maybe the pf jars used to inoculate the grains were infected (although doubtful). The jars are showing signs of both trich and black mold, so they're gone. this monotub should do me well, however, as long as I don't fuck it up.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1732.jpg
  • 100_1733.jpg
  • 100_1713.jpg
  • 100_1706.jpg
  • 100_1711.jpg
  • 100_1704.jpg
  • 100_1712.jpg
  • 100_1731.jpg
  • 100_1710.jpg
  • 100_1701.jpg
  • 100_1705.jpg

#9 mestophilies

mestophilies

Suit Up!

• Expired Member
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:49 PM

Looking good! Keep it up and you'll be happy in no time!

#10 finite_synapses

finite_synapses

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:20 AM

Alright, my first flush had a large quantity of relatively small fruits, but there was a pretty decent amount of them. They are currently drying under a fan, so weights should be in within 24 hours. I have pictures of the final stages of growth, as well as the harvest. They had an overly humid environment in the beginning stages of growth, and I rectified the problem a bit too late for it to be of great value, so I'm hoping flush #2 will be as good, if not better. Still more than I was expecting, though. They are sitting on a pizza pan in the last picture, in case someone was wondering.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1760.jpg
  • 100_1758.jpg
  • 100_1757.jpg
  • 100_1754.jpg
  • 100_1751.jpg

#11 finite_synapses

finite_synapses

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:22 AM

I forgot to mention that these guys are the darkest-bruising mushrooms I've worked with so far.

#12 tex

tex

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:41 AM

Looking good man! :greenboun

Did you you get the final weight? How deep was your sub depth?

TC

#13 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

great job. mix in some verm to loosen up your mix a bit.

excellent job regardless of small fruits. i notice you have clear plastic under the sub. let us know if it causes any fruiting under the sub. thanks!
  • tex likes this

#14 seedlessstinky1

seedlessstinky1

Stinks

• Expired Member
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

Nice and blue indeed.:greenbounGood job.

#15 finite_synapses

finite_synapses

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:52 PM

there was no fruiting under the sub, but there was some side pinning. Does adding vermiculite increase yieldds, or does it allow for larger fruits?

I'm still waiting for the final weight. It's taking longer than expected for the larger shrooms to dry.

#16 cherrylimeade

cherrylimeade

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:59 PM

I forgot to mention that these guys are the darkest-bruising mushrooms I've worked with so far.

I was going to say, those bruise neon blue like my amazons

#17 finite_synapses

finite_synapses

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:52 AM

Substrate depth was 4 inches to begin with. First flush yielded 1.5 oz. If I can get 4 oz off of this tub I will be ecstatic... time to wait and see.

#18 finite_synapses

finite_synapses

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 153 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:26 AM

The smaller tub's wet weight for first flush was 142.5 g. I'm not complaining, considering the complete lack of FAE, high humidity, and other factors it had against it. Still, 2 oz from two grain jars on the first flush ain't half bad. The two cakes I birthed are growing a lot of fruits, but I'm guessing they won't get very large... too many fruits on the cakes. I was going to spawn them to grain jars, but the test batch I did with my first BRF cake ended up in 7 jars that were contammed, as mentioned in an above post. I'm not going to spend my time making more sterile conditions only to find out that some trich and pin mold made it into my vermiculite layer and are just waiting to propagate once I open those jars in a glovebox with sterilized jars of grain. No sir. I'm going to salvage what I can.

The only thing I need from this strain in order for it to prove itself is a trip. Too bad I don't have much free time for a while. I've heard z-strain is pretty potent... has anyone tried it, and if so, what are your opinions on potency?

I made 3 half-pints of LC approximately 24 hours ago using Hip's easy Lc tek. Waitin' on that. I wish I could do some agar work, but ordering the agar and plates and all that jazz makes me paranoid. Flush #2 is going to be my print-making flush. I'm stoked.

#19 oakchild

oakchild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:18 AM

You can make your own agar. Go to an Asian market, they sell it for about a dollar a box. Just add your own nutrients. There are several good recipes in the archives.

For the plates, you can get them from Wards Natural Science. Or you can use the wide mouth 1/2 pint jars as ghetto dishes.

Blessings,
Oakchild

8-)

#20 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

I was going to say, those bruise neon blue like my amazons

hehe nice new avatar.

My Amazon's from TGS also blue, very very light blue.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!