• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:09 PM

I'm testing this pure syrup extract to see if it can hold it's potency without mixing into honey..
This would allow a much more concentrated solution for storage..

I only used 10g dry in this test ..The resulting extract fills this quarter pint about 1/8 full ..So theoretically a half pint jar would hold 160g dry equivelent.

Figure a 20% loss in processing - thats still 128g active..

Jar is cooling now ..Will taste test now and periodically over time to judge potency loss..

In a nutshell ;
Chopped dry shroomz...
Simmered in distilled water and ascorbic acid for 20mins...
Tea filtered finely into large frypan and boiled down to a sweet syrupy essence, then collected in jar..
Total process time 35mins...

If the syrup begins to turn green - then it's a bust,, but i have high hopes ...heh..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2161.jpg

#2 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:14 PM

Where does the sweetness come from? Did you add sugar to it, as well?

#3 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:43 PM

No sweeteners ..As it's cooking down , it gives off a very sweet aroma..
That's deceiving though , i just tasted the extract, which is about the same thickness as maple syrup and it's very sour/bitter..
Proly due in large part to the Vitamin C..
Can feel it coming on now, so should b good..

#4 CoyoteMesc

CoyoteMesc

howling mad

• Expired Member
  • 4,313 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:48 PM

How is the taste compare to the honey?

Oh and how much did you take total?, the entire batch?

#5 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:36 PM

I only tried a 1 gram equiv...[1/2 tsp]

I transferred the extract to a smaller bottle to reduce oxidation..
After 2 weeks , there has been no color change, which means this is proly still potent..

If true then this would be the first water based extraction to last this long without freezing..

Being more concentrated than honey extract - more goodies will fit in a smaller space..

Without sweetener, it taste like shiiiit...heh.. but can easily be mixed in a drink of some sort..

In the pic - the solids have settled but the actives should be equally distributed thru-out

Taste test next weekend...:rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2165.jpg

#6 seedlessstinky1

seedlessstinky1

Stinks

• Expired Member
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:40 PM

:bow:Nice!

#7 Doctor D

Doctor D

(Not a real doctor)

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,258 posts

Donator

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

Ugh, I can imagine how nasty it tastes. My everclear extracts taste terrible, too, and diluting them in soda or juice doesn't help all that much. Still... being able to trip off a quick tablespoon would be well worth it.

#8 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

I did something similar with a halfer reduced down to a half shot.

http://mycotopia.net.../25950-tea.html

#9 Ras Asad

Ras Asad

Amor vincit omnia

• Expired Member
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

wikked cool!! :bow:

#10 M&M420

M&M420

Eternity Intern

• Validating
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:02 PM

Good luck.If all goes well then this will be my next recipe.Look I don't mean to steal your thread here man but I think I just waisted 15 grams.I wanted to store some dry shrooms in some honey because of my flushes always coming in inconsistent and I can't ever seem to get up to the 2 ounce requirment for golly's honey tek.So here is my attempt at making some blue honey.I know that to get real blue honey I would have to use freshies but I didn't want to take the chance of the water making bacteria grow.I shredded 15 g's in the coffee grinder and poured into the honey but it the shrooms continue to float and brake the layer of honey.Which by my guess is defeating the whle purpose of keeping the mushrooms from oxidating.I was wondering if this was was actuallly going to make them lose powder.Also how long does the jar need to sit at room temp before the honey absorbs the psylocibin?I also think that I'm going to start braking the shrooms into small pieces with scissors because the grinder turned them into powder and sent a shroom cloud into the air.I'm estimating I lost at least 3 grams by grinding them.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2v1q3bl.jpg

#11 mycobri

mycobri

Stained Blue

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

cool :thumbup:

another great idea Golly

what did you use to finely filter the tea before reducing?

i like the idea of a concentrated solution for storage ;)

#12 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:54 PM

I filtered thru a paper coffee filter...

420 - if you warm the honey b4 mixing in your powder or chunks, it mixes much easier..
For powder honey storage:
You want every mush particle sealed with the honey..I always add honey to the powder
instead of powder to the honey..That way ,the potency/dose is easy to judge , as its becomes a uniform paste...Slowly pour the warm honey as u mix..

#13 M&M420

M&M420

Eternity Intern

• Validating
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:16 PM

right on.Hopefully not too much is lost

#14 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

The next time I do it, i'm going to capsule up the goo and refrigerate for storage to see if that works out good. The tar is horrible to eat! Bitter beer face big time.

#15 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:28 PM

Yeah Laz, i'm wondering how far down this can be concentrated without too much potency loss..
The tricky part is, that as the syrup thickens - the boiling point rises..Would be easy to overheat without realizing..

#16 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,617 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:39 PM

Hey golly, have you ever thought about using an acetone wash for this type of thing? Like washing down a mushroom powder with acetone for an hour and drying it up? Maybe less time.

#17 oakchild

oakchild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:14 AM

Acetone will leave residues which you don't want to eat. Better to use Petroleum Ether if you are going for a hydrocarbon solvent extraction.

Blessings,
Oakchild

8-)

#18 waffles420

waffles420

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 174 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:23 AM

What ever happened to eating them and storing them in a vacuum sealed bag with water and oxygen absorbers and put in a fridge?

#19 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 09:58 AM

Nothing happened Waffles..That's still the method of choice for reliable conservation..

Dunno Laz - i prefer a natural solution to reduce n' preserve ..Whatever results, has to be protected from oxidation , which means suspending in a liquid form..

This thread is really a test to see if it's the honey that preserves the psilly or simply
reducing the tea to a syrup is all that's required..

All things considered , the addition of honey is proly the way to go for flavor and convenience..
A wax layer could be good for eliminating air for long term storage..

#20 spacecake

spacecake

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 4,563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

..Nice to see those bottles again Golly ! :teeth:
Golly's extracts..lol

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!