• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 hayatoj

hayatoj

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:56 PM

the place where i have my perlite container wit pf cakes doesnt have a heater.
i was thinking of buying a heating pad for the bottom of the container.
does anyone have any suggestions?
(the house doesnt have a heater)

#2 spore

spore

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:20 PM

check out the heat bomb, if you can get the temp up into the 70's with one you'll be fine.

spore....

#3 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 24 October 2005 - 02:27 PM

setting things ontop of a heat pad can be bad news..
a space heater in the room should do the trick..
or you might be able to use a tub inside a tub..
the bottom tub holding a fishtank heater and water
the top one holding your perlite and cakes..
LOST

#4 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:19 PM

A space heater is a great suggestion. Also, you can try a 75 or 100 watt light placed at the right distance above the chamber. This should be enough to heat the chamber to desired temp. Just make sure you watch it and don't have the light too close or it could make temps too high.

#5 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:31 PM

I like the tub inside the tub method. Using a high quality fish tank heater you can dial in the temp very easily. It is much easier to keep the temp steady and also to hide in case you need a stealth op.

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:45 PM

i'm partial to those oil-filled radiators
heat entire room, little hazard.
~ $40-50 USD

#7 hydrodad

hydrodad

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:13 PM

That fish tank heater deal does sound pretty cool, but I tend to agree with Hippie about the oil filled radiators. I use one in my unheated grow area in the winter. You can set the heat and thermostat just like a small electric heater. You can even go with a timer on one for even more control, and yes, they will heat an entire room. But for me, it's just easier when doing 9 or 10 boxes at a time in one area. But MOST OF ALL, they do not blow air or dust around (big plus) they just "radiate" heat :) But heating pads are fire hazards, stay away, stay away. Just my 2 cents...

#8 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:44 PM

Here are some tub in tub stealth pics I came across.

Attached Thumbnails

• Box_Open1.jpg
  • Side1.jpg
  • CloseUpThermometers.jpg
  • Side2.jpg
  • StealthBox.jpg
  • TopWithLight.jpg

#9 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:49 PM

that'll work
just never forget to
unplug that heater
before touching that water

#10 hydrodad

hydrodad

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:53 PM

Hey Laughing dog, I noticed some plastic grating in one of those pics that the jars were on. Where did that come from ? I have looked everywhere near home for something loke that. I currently use bent chicken wire. Thanks, HD.

#11 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:56 PM

You can get that stuff at Lowes, it's plastic grating for flourescent lighting in drop down ceilings. It comes in 2 x 4 foot sheets I think, it's really easy to cut with a pair of side cutters.

#12 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:02 AM

I prefer to stay away from the Tub in Tubs because of the standing water. And I have other uses for my bleach and peroxide than dumping it in a tub of water to keep it clean. I just think its important in my growing to keep that standing water out of my grow area. To each his own though :)

Hippie is right, the oil heat radiators make a great room heater.

#13 711

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 154 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:56 AM

All those are perfect. (heatbomb, oil, light, tub in tub) My only suggestion would be to stay away from an electric space heater. Especially since there is no alternative form of heat for the room. An electric one will just kick on all day and night, struggling to keep the room a certain temp. It would work but is very costly.

#14 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:56 PM

I just picked up a small ceramic heater from Wal fucking Mart for 12 bucks that's great. It's made by Holmes and has several safety features as well. It runs pretty consistant temps with the thermostat is has, which is surprising to me....

#15 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:05 PM

The standing water has never been an issue and no bleach or peroxide has been used.

#16 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:06 PM

LaughingDog, do you pump air into the water in the tub? How often do you change the water?

I can almost guarantee it is growing some sort of funk if its still, warm water.

Also, people should be careful to watch for evaporation of their water in those tub in tubs with the heaters. If you are leaving it like that for months the water will evaporate and you could be damaging your heater or melting your plastic.

I'm sure they are a great heat source, I'm just not a fan of them and prefer some of the other alternatives to heating. Its whatever you feel comfortable and safe using.

#17 tripinstein

tripinstein

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:35 PM

Many people suggest against the heating pad, but that is what I use and I have yet to have any problems. I think the main concern with them is if you use too high of a setting. I use mine on the lowest setting and it produces a pretty constant 80 degrees and it is left on all the time. If you do use a heating pad it is important to first find out how high it will get the temps. You should do a test run, and if all goes well, then you will probably be in the clear. Plus if it is active all the time on a single setting the temperature is only gonna get so high.

#18 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:43 PM

I keep an eye on the water level and add a bit as necessary. I use the tub in tub for incubation then fruiting ( I use a modified chronic tek by putting 4 cakes on a layer of verm in a rotisserie chicken container and putting 3 of these in the tub in tub). Usually everything is done in 6-8 weeks. If anything unsavory has been growing in the water it has never reached the cakes.

#19 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:46 PM

Here is a thread of some pics of the rotisserie chicken tek:

http://mycotopia.net...read.php?t=2057

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!