Fisana

- - - - -

Just another Printing Tek

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:10 PM

Well, its just another print tek, I know there are a lot. But here's one anyway.

This is from a 3rd flush of Quezons.

Step 1: Printing material and printing trays. (picture 1)

I use a bottom tray that is cleaned with iso. alcohol. My top tray is larger than my bottom tray and also cleaned with the iso. alcohol.

I use notecards from the dollar store. The smaller ones I fold in half, the larger ones I use for the laminating because they fit the 4x6 inch laminating sheets.

I prefold my cards, then lay them on the bottom tray. I don't fold the ones for laminating.

I then wipe them with an alcohol soaked paper towel.

Cover this with the top tray.

While it is sitting, I get my tacks and caps ready and my scissors.

Step 2: Transferring Caps to Print Material, (pictures 2, 3 and 4)

I soak and wrap small scissors in a paper towel soaked with iso. alcohol.

I wrap and soak the number of thumb tacks I will need for the caps I'm going to print.

I then take the thumb tacks and stick each of the caps I want to print. I always try to get the caps that have the veil complete around the stem without fragments on the caps.

I make sure the alcohol has evaporated from my cards.

I then prop the top tray up.

I then put on gloves, clean them with an alcohol wash and grab my scissors.

I keep my scissor alcohol paper towel right next to my work so I can wipe the scissors after each cut.

I grab the thumb tack, put the scissors under the gills but not touching the gills, and cut.

One slow move keeping gills down, lay on printing material (note cards.)

Wipe scissors after each cut.

Do this until they are all cut and layed down.

Slowly place top tray back on top of bottom tray.

My trays have a lot of space to allow for moisture to escape.

I then take my trays and place in front of the flow hood. A glove box or clean area will work fine too as I did it on a table before I had a flow hood.

Step 3: Removing the Caps from Printing Material, (picture 5)

After 12-24 hours I remove the caps by lifting the top lid and slowly using the thumb tacks to remove the caps. I place the caps on a paper towel outside of the trays.

I then lay the top lid back down once all caps are removed and let it sit for 4-6 hours to finish drying.

Step4: Sealing the prints, (pictures 6, 7, and 8)

For the notecards that are folded,

I use 3 pieces of tape to seal the 3 open sides of the notecards. I like to tear my tape and have it stuck where I can work fast and tape them on easily.
Masking tape works well, duct tape, or medical tape all work fine.

Since you pre-folded the card, lift with one hand the top tray, with the other hand fold the top over the print and remove.

Tape the sides up without disturbing the print inside too much. I like to lay it flat so no spores spill out the open sides.

For laminating prints:
I get the laminating sheet, load the card inside it. Feed through the laminater. Easiest way I've found for sealing them up. No tape, they are now very protected against water etc. and I can stick a label on them. Easy to mail as well without worry the Post Office will destroy them in transit.

Pictures should help you see the process. I accidently erased the cutting of the caps picture but I'm sure you get the idea.

*Note on printing materials* There are lots of different materials one can use. Foil (heavy duty holds up best), tyvek (pre-cut and sterilized is easy), acid free paper, printing paper, and notecards like I use all work with success. Just make sure you sterilize it in some way before adding the cap.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2005_1024Image0011.JPG
  • 2005_1024Image0017.JPG
  • 2005_1024Image0013.JPG
  • 2005_1024Image0009.JPG
  • 2005_1024Image0008.JPG
  • 2005_1024Image0004.JPG
  • 2005_1024Image0003.JPG
  • 2005_1024Image0001.JPG

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 04:52 PM

what if my tray doesn't have the cute lil fishies ?
will it still work ? ;)

#3 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:17 PM

:D I know, its cute, chix dig that cute stuff :lol:

Those are my biggest trays so I use them for a lot of myco work.

I'm thinking baking sheets will work the best, as you can fit a lot of caps to print on those.

#4 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:50 PM

The fishies are cool freaky! Almost as cool as your write up! Well, maybe not that cool. Nicely done!:eusa_clap

#5 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:13 PM

Thanks TCO! Sending you one of those :)

#6 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:27 PM

Thanks TCO! Sending you one of those :)

:headbang: :cacti: :greenboun :bow: :loveeyes: :dance: :headbang: :cool:

#7 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:15 AM

Very nice method there, freak. Beautiful caps too! :D :heartbeat

#8 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:22 AM

how much $$ for the laminator/machine ?
source ?

#9 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 08:33 AM

Thanks Dial8! :)

Hippie, I found that one at Kmart on clearance for like $10. Thats why I purchased. I'm guessing regular price would be maybe $20.00?????
I'm wondering if places like Office Depot or somewhere may have different sizes and be better with the prices. They also sell the laminating sheet sets at the K for a pretty good price. I wonder what Ebay has them for? I'll check and see if they offer em on there. Mine is a TDE Systems Laminator for size 4x6. I use it to laminate photos too.

#10 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:13 AM

Wal-Mart sells one that uses no heat.

#11 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:43 AM

I'm anti-Wally....so I shop other stores. I know they have a lot of what I need, I just don't like supporting them.

The cold ones like shed uses are best I'm sure.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!