Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:28 PM

I found a great Site. Take a look. http://www.sunraykelley.com/ :eusa_clap

#42 moldylogic

moldylogic

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 520 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Id recommend to all interested in living 'off grid', to checkout this book.

http://www.amazon.co...35873543&sr=8-2

The Solar Greenhouse Book; amazon has
4 new from $6.96 80 used from $1.20 2 collectible from $10.00

I love my copy and will treasure it till the binding fails... then ill rebind it. and although a little old, the theories and principals are the same. The only thing which has changed is pretty much the materials.

It has many examples of designs in practice, and solutions/ways to avoid potential problems.

Another good book is Finding & Buying Your Place in Country (Finding and Buying Your Place in the Country) by Les Scher and Carol Scher. This goes through everything you'd need to know including legal advise. It is not geared towards off grid living, but has some info that could be applied.

#43 lovedinplaster

lovedinplaster

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 184 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

America wasnt built on what everybody needs. it was built by single men for the purpose of gain. they achieved what they wanted not what everybody needed

thats why this wont become a reality for a good while.

ppl are too concerned about what they "want", rather than what EVERYbody needs.

T.v.'s n microwaves? jeez man...

and its not too hard to create your own electricity for things needed.

and plumbing isnt that hard to accomplish either if ppl worked together.

#44 purplefairydust

purplefairydust

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 12:41 AM

The earthsips are cool but seem complicated. Im thinking about going with cordwood so far because it seems easier and cheaper. Im still learning about all of this so if anybody has any helpful imput on eco houses im always up for learning more.:cool:

#45 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:31 AM

I found a great Site. Take a look. http://www.sunraykelley.com/ :eusa_clap

i'm close with some of ray's clan.
have friends who live in his creations.
dude is an insane genius.
never wears shoes. ever.
he's always limping around in a cast because a tree fell on his foot or something.

his creations are amazing.
sometimes a little more suited to warmer climates than where they're built but amazing nevertheless.

ray can make building flow with psychedelic vibrations like no architect i've ever seen.

#46 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:59 AM

Too cool! As a former construction worker I got to see a lot of material being wasted in modern day homes. Or at least these rich fuckers that are constantly remodeling something. We would just fill dumpsters with very usable stuff and have a company take it to the dump. Really pissed me off! I would grumble about it and my boss would just tell me to STFU. I finally had enough. With all the materials we threw away I probably could of built one of these.
I would imagine permits would be a bitch with one of these though. They just don't want you independent from the system. Especially in California.

#47 growurown

growurown

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:10 PM

Ive been dreaming off build my own place back in the boonies for a long while know. I would build into a hill on the south side, tires as the walls and cordwood for all the exterior. One website i was on said i took roughly 500 to a 1000 tires for one home.

#48 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:42 AM

Ive been dreaming off build my own place back in the boonies for a long while know. I would build into a hill on the south side, tires as the walls and cordwood for all the exterior. One website i was on said i took roughly 500 to a 1000 tires for one home.

Before putting much commitment behind that idea, I would recommend filling a few test tires like the Earthship books instruct. After three or four you may be looking for alternative alternative building methods, and you'll see why people aren't rushing out to build Earthships. Buy an RV so you'll have a place to live for the months and months it will take a small crew to ram a few wheelbarrow loads of dirt into each of the ~1000 tires.

It's a good upper body workout, though! :amazed:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!