• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#41 vinz

vinz

mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

:eusa_clap yummy pans! very cool looking pans!
excellent write up and great pix!
those pans turned out beautifully!
what was the substrate? manure only?
love the ones in the bowl! haha cool

#42 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

nice work!

thanks, eatyualive. Hopefully, though, I hope, but am doubtful, that the next pinset will be massive and mature right. The first in the pictures doesn't even show a quarter of the dead pins that were ready to go. Imagine the entire surface wall-to-wall with fruits. If I had been in town, that would have been the scene. Hopefully these blocks will give me a second chance to get at least half their original potential, which will still be a lot of cute mushie.
  • chill likes this

#43 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:43 PM

:eusa_clap yummy pans! very cool looking pans!
excellent write up and great pix!
those pans turned out beautifully!
what was the substrate? manure only?
love the ones in the bowl! haha cool

The substrate was 90% per dry weight horse manure and 10% WBS. The water content of the substrate was adjusted to 65%. I have found this gives me consistently great yields for any of the pan cyans strains I've tried to grow and is contaminant resistant for many flushes.

#44 stimpy

stimpy

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 414 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

Those are so cute. Whats the dosage on the pan cyans like 1 gram tops?

#45 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

Those are so cute. Whats the dosage on the pan cyans like 1 gram tops?

Pan Cyans vary wildly in potency in my experience. Anywhere from 2X to 6X more potent than cubensis per dry weight is normal. I'll try a half gram of these and let you know.

#46 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 676 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

my jamaican grow that i mentioned earlier in the thread got messed up(not my fault) but i think im gonna start it back up this weekend. if i have half as much success as your "failure" i will be very happy

#47 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

my jamaican grow that i mentioned earlier in the thread got messed up(not my fault) but i think im gonna start it back up this weekend. if i have half as much success as your "failure" i will be very happy

I don't want to sound cocky about this grow. A true failure would be no fruits at all or mold everywhere. This just failed to be as good as it could have been because the environment got all whacked. There was a time that I could not get pan cyans to fruit at all or minimally. I was using too deep of substrates, too deep of casings, and a less desirable fruiter.

I think the biggest plus I've done in growing these is setting up a shelf system like you see in the pictures where fresh air is more abundant. I thank WayLitJim for that idea. It helps keep things from going south and the pin sets are better with a lot of fresh air I think. Also using a very vigorous liquid culture and not too early is a key element to my success. Lastly, I am a really firm believer one should test the moisture content of the fruit out substrate to 65% if you are using mostly manure. It's easy enough to do with a scale and microwave.

#48 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:23 AM

I use to have some of the same problems, blue. Fresh air is definitely the key with pans. Dub or mono tubs do not work with these. A few small tubs in side a really big one with a humidifier and fresh air pump hooked up to it works just fine.

#49 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

Attached are further pictures of the second flush. The yield has been, as expected, extremely poor, but pictures don't require too many mushies to look nice. I am already getting massive numbers of pins for the next flush, but generally the pins have been almost all aborting. I suspect it's because of the poor health of the blocks from the environmental trauma early on.

Notable characteristics of the Jamaica strain in this run:
  • Relatively small, slender mushrooms - these are the smallest of any strain I have grown.
  • Extremely dense pin sets - the density of pins was beyond anything I had seen in any other strain. If they had not mostly aborted, their number of mushrooms would have made up, in terms of yield, for their smaller size.
  • Mushrooms start dropping spores when cap is bell-shaped, and the cap never flattens with maturity. Again, I have not seen this in any other strain.
It'll be interesting to find out how potent they are!

Attached Thumbnails

• flush3_stalled_pins.jpg
  • flush2_1.jpg
  • flush2_2.jpg
  • flush2_3.jpg
  • flush2_4.jpg
  • flush2_5.jpg
  • flush2_6.jpg
  • flush2_7.jpg

• witchdr11 likes this

#50 Jigalow

Jigalow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:08 PM

inspiring!:bow:

#51 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

inspiring!:bow:

I agree; they sure inspired me too! The most amazing part of this strain are the number of pins! I normally wouldn't say this, but I can honestly say that there are too many pins in many areas. Let me try to put this in perspective: There are many places on these trays now that have a hundred pins in a single cubic inch! I am dead serious. The pins are like growing on top of each other!

I wonder why they are all aborting or have under-developed caps. Either the health of the blocks is at fault, or I'm doing something else wrong....

#52 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:45 PM

All pins of the next flush aborted, so I tossed out the trays. Before they were thrown in the garden I noticed that the mycelium was either bruised or inflected with mold (or maybe both). I have attached some pictures of it. I couldn't find any mold spores or related structures using a compound microscope, but I am no expert so could have easily missed them. Whatever happened the trays were no longer viable. I'll try to grow this strain again in a few weeks.

Attached Thumbnails

• post_mortem_2.jpg
  • post_mortem_1.jpg

#53 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 676 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

please let us know how potent this strain is once said information is aquired!

#54 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:11 AM

I tried 0.8 grams of these on an empty stomach. A powder was mixed well in a shot of hot lemon juice, allowed to simmer in the hot lemon juice for about five minutes, and then consumed. Whoa! Dynamite folks! What a ride! I talked to God for a bit there, and there were times when it was hard to walk. For a lot of it, I just laid back and enjoyed the lights. The trip lasted for about four solid hours with strong after affects for another two.

In summary they were very strong with minimal nausea and very little body load. I would put the potency around 5X as strong cubensis and as potent as any of the pan cyans strains I've tried so far. The high was classic stuff and about as good as it gets in my experience, great visuals, great vibes, and plenty of spiritual insights to think about. The only other pan cyan strain I've tried that might have rivaled these in terms of potency and low body load were the viets. Now it'll be interesting to see if a normal run of these are as potent as these low-yield fruits were...

#55 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:49 AM

After having felt how strong these were, I think the blue color I saw on those cakes was bruising and not mold. They were just really potent suckers, and the cold must have hurt the cakes.

#56 Jigalow

Jigalow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 654 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

That was 0.8 grams ??? Just checking the decibel place was right lol
thats crazy!

#57 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:33 PM

That was 0.8 grams ??? Just checking the decibel place was right lol thats crazy!

Yes, that is less than one gram! A potent pan cyan can lay one low with one gram (I am talking about peaking to the point one cannot walk). I would say that I've seen at least a 2.5X difference in potency between strains using the same substrate. My Goliath grow, for example, produced a lot of weight and relatively huge mushrooms, but they were half as potent and the high wasn't as good for me. Like I said, I'll do another grow of these Jamaicas soon to see if these can produce a decent yield and put the results in this thread, so keep an eye out for updates in the coming weeks...

#58 el_ronhub_bird

el_ronhub_bird

Mycophiliac

• OG VIP
  • 676 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

thats awesome news bro? i cant wait to start mine up! ps. congrats on your 500th post!

#59 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:23 AM

thats awesome news bro? i cant wait to start mine up! ps. congrats on your 500th post!

Please let us know your findings! I would like someone else to confirm the potency. Love these little guys!

#60 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

I would say that I've seen at least a 2.5X difference in potency between strains using the same substrate. My Goliath grow, for example, produced a lot of weight and relatively huge mushrooms, but they were half as potent and the high wasn't as good for me.

From the Pans I've grown, the Viets were the most potent. I agree that Goliath doesn't have the same kick, but Goliath is considered Pan cambodgeniensis, which doesn't stand up to the cyanescens experience. Nice job salvaging this grow Blue.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!