89 replies to this topic

#81 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:38 AM

Hey Blue
was that manure dry and shredded, and would aged Hpoo, dried and shredded work in your formula. I intend on using your recipie in a few days for a Pan Cyan Goliath grow, and would like to make shure before hand, cause it sounds and looks like it works great for the pans.
thanks, pvacant and good luck on the grow

pvacant, the horse manure was dry, aged, and I broke it up with my hand when it was dry before adding it to the mix. In general I don't think any mushroom can grow, or at least fruit, in fresh manure because the amonia in fresh manure is just too toxic.

About the formula used here: the flax seed meal is not necessary, and I did not notice any benefit to the colonization using it versus other grows I've done without it. It probably introduces more chances for contamination as well. I thought I'd try it, though, just because I had it around.

#82 Ranonar

Ranonar

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:43 AM

I wonder if an LC , especially an LC of Copelandia or Panaeolus cyanescens, is potent enough to be consumed right from the jar? How much (weight) of mycelium is produced in about a week in a liter of liquid medium - some 50 grams wet or so? That amount could be plenty for a nice or even strong experience even if the alkaloid content of mycelium is half that of the mushrooms or even lower.

The main reason for my question is that drinking an LC appears to be the most straightforward thing to do, it is much like an supercharged & aerobic version of brewing beer, but I can not find any reference to such self experiments at Mycotopia or elsewere.

P.S. Since the mushrooms both biosynthesize and break down psilocin/Psilocybin over time I guess the LC has to be drunk at its peak performance, say about a week after its creation.

#83 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:03 AM

The picture attached shows one of the trays two days after casing. Notice how the casing is evenly being penetrated by the mycelium under it. Notice how the valleys are uniformly consumed by mycelium as it evenly rises. This is exactly what I want. And now it is time to drop the temperature a couple degrees to 77-78F and introduce lighting cycles to promote the mycelium to shift gears and form pins in the next several days. Until the pins are of some size, the relative humidity will be maintained at 98 to 100%, with optional forced periodic ultrasonic misting too if the walls start to look dry in there (I never trust the relative humidity numbers exclusively to gauge misting at this stage because they alone don't tell the whole picture -- but that is another story).

In one or two more days, the casing will be totally permeated through and covered by mycelium as it slows down and shifts into pinning mode. While stringy rhizomorphic overlay spells doom for cubensis yields and many other species, this whispy cottony overlay here is not a problem and actually is good because it prevents the casing from drying out or being contaminated by mold in the very high humidity prior to pinning. In my experience, this thin whispy pan cyan mycelium initially growing over the casing does not negatively impact the pinset and does not prevent the casing from being resaturated after flushes (it sort of magically disappears when you pour water on it). In contrast overlay in several other species, including cubensis, reduces the first pinset and seals the casing, ruining its ability to be rehydrated between flushes.

Attached Thumbnails

• trays_postcase_day2.jpg

#84 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:06 AM

Ranonar, I have read that the alkloid content of the liquid culture, no matter how dense, is insignificant and way too little to be practical for intoxication. You'd end up drinking so much liquid culture that you'd burst before you got off.

Also, why are you hijacking this thread to talk about stuff like this? This is not the proper forum or topic for this thread. If there is a moderator reading this, could this subject of drinking liquid cultures be moved to some other thread, please? Thanks.

#85 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:17 AM

Bluehelix have you ever tried using straw instead of poo. I have a nice supply of free straw that is completely ready to be pasteurized then spawned to with pans.

Was wondering if you have ever used it before ?

#86 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 06:47 AM

Bluehelix have you ever tried using straw instead of poo. I have a nice supply of free straw that is completely ready to be pasteurized then spawned to with pans.

Was wondering if you have ever used it before ?

No, I have not tried it. However, Panaeolus Cyanescens is both a primary and secondary decomposer and does fruit on straw as a primary decomposer. If I remember right there is even a picture of it fruiting on cased straw in The Mushroom Cultivator. It also fruits on thin grain trays well. I think most substrates that cubensis will fruit on, Pan Cyans will too, provided it is cased and that a little more attention to environment is paid. For example a cold night can completely ruin a pan cyans tray to the point it hardly fruits at all even if you heat things back up right away. Cubensis, on the other hand, is more forgiving of little things like that.

#87 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:12 AM

The casing is now 90% permeated with mycelium and looks great in the picture attached. Judging from the casing run, I would say these Jamaicans should be cased very shallow, no more 1/3" deep. I suspect the smaller the mushroom, the more shallow the ideal casing, and this is a relatively small strain.

Attached Thumbnails

• trays_postcase_day3.jpg

• Om shanti likes this

#88 witchdr11

witchdr11

Shamanic Vibes

• Expired Member
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

Nice looking mushies man.. Those just have an awsome look.

#89 wildform

wildform

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

Beautifull species! Beautifull job.
This species most effective tnan my Pan. trop.
Posted Image
Sorry if don`t place...

#90 pvacant

pvacant

a DeAd BoY

• Expired Member
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:17 PM

Hey Blue, how's the grow going.
however i would like to know what the verdict was back in 08.... if what you where growing where pan cyan "Cambodia" or Panaeolus Cambodgeniensis. Because what i had labled pan cyan "cambodian" seemed quite a bit like your grow last August 2008
the link: http://mycotopia.net...rate-trays.html

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!