- - - - -

growing if you have children in the home

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scotsman_*

Guest_scotsman_*

Posted 18 July 2004 - 02:39 PM

I dont know if this is any use to you hippie but
i thought it was worth putting some thought to.

Gowing With Kids Around.

A question i see getting asked is people asking for advice and tips on
how to grow shrooms and keep everything out of sight from their children.
Well I’m going to try and write something that may be of help to parents
who are considering growing or parents who are already growing but are
feeling a little paranoid about their kids ending up swallowing a few mushrooms.
I can only write from personal experience having a nine-year-old daughter
but what you’ve got to remember is every family situation is different. I
have a fairly big house with a spare bedroom and a cupboards I can take over
anytime I get ready to grow. You may have a smaller house, less privacy
to perfect your technique but if you’ve decided your growing then number
one priority is to keep everything tidy and don’t let your kids see you doing
certain parts of the process.
As I said my daughters nine at the moment and I’ve been growing about four
years, I also use weed, LSD and the very occasional E, so the bottom line is
there’s always drugs of some sorts stashed in my house. My daughter knows
daddy loves mushrooms, I’ve a collection of over 30 glass mushrooms and
mushroom paintings on my wall, she draws me pictures of them, runs up to
me in shops with ornaments of mushrooms but she doesn’t really know what
daddy’s favorite mushrooms do to him and his friends.
First rule is to try and do everything when your family are out, swimming or
dancing lessons or if you can do your mixing and steaming your jars ect when
your kids are at school. That’s not always possible if say you have a harvest ready
and need to get your shrooms ready for drying, I always dried my shrooms in the
loft space, ban your kids from your loft, tell them its to dangerous or something.
If you chop your shrooms up as i do and its at a bad time put them in the fridge
till you are alone or and ready to set up your drying.
My growtank sits in my second bathroom just off the main bedroom, my daughter
could reach it but I explained to her that I was growing stuff you dont eat it was
plants to be planted in the garden after that she thought I was boring always
messing around with my plants, you could put your tank high on a shelf.
Same goes with the glovebox and any syringe work never let your kids see you
with your hands in a glovebox or with a syringe in your hand, infact never
let them see a syringe full stop.
If you have to move anything about the house, wet shrooms to be dried, syringes
anything like and your kids are in out the shrooms or syringe in a bag, what the
eye cant see sort of thing, it might seem little but it can mean a lot. Infact you
turn into a bit of a guerrilla farmer but it’s the best way just to make things safer.
Get a child lock on a cupboard and keep all your prints, syringes everything in there
so you know where everything is at any given time, put that child lock high on
that door.
Make the subject seem boring if your kids ask you anything, try and make them
uninterested it, but saying that it was once said to me a better way may be to buy
and edible growing kit, show your kids them growing and before long they would
become bored and lose interest leaving you to get on with it, I never tried this one
but maybe you might.
The way I find best now is to grow for a few months and build up a stash
then quit till your stash is needing topped up, that method works for me.

There’s also the famous invitro tech that can be looked into, using this tech there’s
no growtank involved and that could be a bonus to some parents.
Or maybe the cupboard you put the lock on you could set your tank up
in there, rig up a light and keep the whole tank out of sight.
Today I moved my stash to another part of the house because when I was tripping
yesterday I couldn’t remember if I put everything back into the place I normally
stash things. We were getting ready to go for a walk when I went and checked twice
that I had put everything away. The place I stashed it now is a place where
it's so remote and hard to get to I’ll be lucky to get it myself, I had it stashed well the first
time but I feel better where it is now, so make sure you’ve got the best place going,
not just a safe place an unreachable remote spot.
All the time your growing you should be thinking of better ways to do things,
better ways to hide your work but just because you have kids doesn't mean you
cant grow and enjoy your new found hobby.

#2 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 07:55 AM

feedback ?

#3 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:17 AM

All good points Scotsman! It is a challenge to keep them uninterested, at least my oldest one it is. But we talked and she knows I'm trying to do it without success so shes losing interest finally :)

I like to make jars at night after bedtime. Thats the best time for me to run the pc and do my grains etc. Another reason I soak to hydrate, its just a pot on the stove with a lid.

Drying is the biggest challenge. Storing in the fridge until they can be dried is a great way, plus it starts the drying process slowly. I have my dryer in the basement by the washer and dryer, because who else does laundry but mom?

Edibles are fun to do with them if they take an interest. You can give them to neighbors too.

Good tips Scotsman!

#4 spartan

spartan

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:20 AM

[-rude remark deleted
by admin]

#5 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:26 AM

Spartan, do you have kids? Do you have medications around the house? Cleaning supplies? All of these are much more harmful than a small grow op.
People can still live and partake of a fun hobby and still be safe about it. That is why the thread was started. The thread is to help people be more safe. You are helping no one.

#6 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 27 October 2005 - 08:30 AM

spartan, comparing to a loaded gun, yeah I've got one of those too. Damn, I guess I won't be mother of the year! WTF???????

Passing judgement on people who choose to grow mushrooms and have children in the house isn't for you to do. You're adding nothing to the post. This is to give tips to those of us who do cultivate with their kids. And its about doing it safely.

#7 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:11 AM

agreed,
the point isn't to pass judgement then start calling names, being rude.
spartan has been warned via PM and his post deleted.

i think one can express their opinion in a more diplomatic way,
even if they feel strongly that it's the wrong thing to be doing.
words like fool do not help communication, understanding
but instead generates defensiveness and hostility.
we deserve better than that from posts here.

#8 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:41 AM

That is just rude and uncalled for, get a clue, better yet, get a life, thinking you're god????

Thats the last post you'll probably ever make!

#9 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:42 AM

spartan, you must be a hypocrit, I think it was you who pm'd asking for some spores???? So you grow with kids?

#10 laborer

laborer

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:54 AM

Can you smell it? Smells like someone is gonna get banned cuz everything that comes out of his mouth smells like shit!!!! What gives you the right to pass judgement on people spartan? Someone likes to grow a couple mushies as a hobby and it makes them a bad parent? You need to get a clue!!!!

#11 Old_Recordings

Old_Recordings

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:27 AM

Can you guys believe this dude? Is he here to criticize everybody and post negative feedback, I guess his repect and understanding took a vacation. I don't think I've seen such uncivilized behavior since I joined this board. Being negative is easier than being positive, in his case.

#12 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:30 AM

negativity like that doesn't help anyone and I guess he didn't get the point the first time. I've never seen anything like it on the boards either, at least mycotopia

#13 Slimlilshroomer

Slimlilshroomer

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:43 AM

I got a 3 year old and a 2 year old here and they have never seen anything. Im lucky enough to have a attic that has mold and water proof paint everywhere with 2 hepa systems in it. But just lock the room you grow in or keep it in a closet. Just use common sense.

#14 cat

cat

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:43 AM

You know I really don't want to judge, but think of it from a practical perspective...monkey see, monkey do. All I'm saying is don't be surprised if your daughter grows up and tries LSD, weed, E, mushrooms...you're not setting a good example. Sometimes you have to be a hypocrite. Also, god forbid she gets her hands on some drugs and something terrible happens...are you willing to accept that risk? I wouldn't want my daughter to think I'm a druggie...where is the admiration in that?

#15 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 27 October 2005 - 10:50 AM

Its called education, and when he/she is old enough, over 18, we can enjoy them together if they want to try them.

Its all on how you view "drugs" I'm not shooting heroin in my veins, or snorting coke up my nose in front of them. These are natural plants and I don't feel they are drugs. So I choose education. And they aren't seeing any of it. They also have no access to any of it. Locked and done when they aren't here.

Thats the point of this thread, ways to keep it safe, away from kids, not whether you think its morally right or wrong or hypocritical.

#16 cat

cat

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:03 AM

Oh, anytihng which alters your cognitive/behavioural/evaluative dimensions as a person is a drug...now I also believe that shrooms are spiritual and not as bad as coke, crack, or heroin, but they are still drugs...I mean once you take zooms and see how great they are, then you think its thee same for every drug...every single drug has a good thing about it, and many bad...but I would just say I'm doing some scientific experiments, boring!!! so stay out! Keep it under lock and key, and never never never leave anything where they could get to it!

#17 Old_Recordings

Old_Recordings

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:48 AM

Cat, what about people that are manic and schizophrenic? Their perception and behavior is altered beyod reach. "once you take zooms and see how great they are, then you think its the same for every drug" you can have a five day debate on this opinion. If you are a junkie you simply can not resist drugs and you will cave to any substance "that has a good thing about it".

#18 Guest_thafunkyone_*

Guest_thafunkyone_*

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:30 PM

You know I really don't want to judge, but think of it from a practical perspective...monkey see, monkey do. All I'm saying is don't be surprised if your daughter grows up and tries LSD, weed, E, mushrooms...you're not setting a good example. Sometimes you have to be a hypocrite. Also, god forbid she gets her hands on some drugs and something terrible happens...are you willing to accept that risk? I wouldn't want my daughter to think I'm a druggie...where is the admiration in that?

Whats wrong with someone's kids growing up and trying hallucinogens? Hallucinogens have positively helped my mindstate in many ways over the years, and I see no reason people shouldn't try them when they are of reasonable age. I started tripping when I was 14. After a while, my parents figured it out. They didn't mess with me, I turned out fine. Would you rather find out your kid was eating acid or sniffing coke? The stigma of drugs being bad is a product of today's society anyway, nothing was illegal til the turn of the century. As a matter of fact when my parents did find out I was trying drugs they just told me to stay away from hard drugs. I think I came out well...so it gets back to your statement..why do you have to be a hypocrite? If you don't believe its wrong there's nothing hypocritical about it...

#19 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:32 PM

tough topic
everyone needs to play nice,
stay cool

#20 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,540 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:41 PM

I knew it was time to stop growing weed when my daughter got caught with some pot in school. When I went down to the principals office I looked at the bag and it was my stinky crystaly buds, ouch! My kid swears she got it from some other kid at school but I knew my weed. At least she didn't rat me out, phew...

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!