Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:52 PM

Mommy's Funny Medicine
The Making Of The World’s First Children’s Book About Medical Marijuana
By Russell Barth
Christine Lowe and I are both medical Marijuana users. Christine uses cannabis for her epilepsy and post traumatic stress disorder, and I use it for my fibromyalgia and anxiety. In mid-December of 2002 we met a woman in a wheelchair on Bank Street in Ottawa. Since I use a wheelchair for most of my transport needs, we compared notes on our machines and the state of Ottawa sidewalks.
I asked her if she was in pain and she said that she was in constant pain. I asked her what she used to treat it, and she said “Ten Tylenol 3’s a day.” We then and asked her if she had ever considered cannabis. She was shocked and offended by this, comparing pot to heroin. We told her that cannabis was safe and effective, and not addictive like codeine, and that she needed to educate herself.
She absolutely refused to listen, falling just short of sticking her fingers in her ears and chanting “La la la I can’t hear you.” She acted as if even discussing it was a scandal. “What would I tell my grandson?” she asked. In unison, Christine and I replied “The truth!” The woman, whose name we never got, stormed off, quite insulted.
As Christine and I departed, one of us said to the other “Someone should make a children’s book.”
We thought nothing more about it until December 22nd, when I was talking on the phone to my father, who was in Florida for the winter. He is an avid prohibitionist, and despite all the science to the contrary, firmly believes the myth and hype about pot “warping your mind” and being “ten times more carcenogenic than tobacco”, so we didn’t discuss my medical marijuana use in that conversation.
After I got off the phone, I asked Christine how I could possibly explain all of this cannabis use and activism to him? I was miming that I was reading a bedtime story, pointing angrily into my hand at an imaginary book: “Look. See Russell. See Russell getting well with his new medicine.”
Christine and I looked at each other and gasped. The idea just popped into our heads like that, and we knew that it was something that could possibly be huge.
Most of the text for Mommy’s Funny Medicine came out that night, written in one session. We did some quick pencil sketches and showed it to our good friend, Ottawa activist Mike Foster. He got choked up from just reading the text, and said that it was a great idea and that we should do it.
We knew that a children’s book on such a controversial topic would be difficult to pitch to publishers. We also knew that there would eventually be media publicity to deal with.
We didn’t want some big publisher making more money off of this book than “the cause” would, and we didn’t want to appear on TV saying “Buy our book so we can buy pot!” We might have appeared as the “Pied-Pipers Of Pot”, and that wouldn’t help us, the book, or “the cause”.
We decided that the best idea was to somehow get it self-published, and give all the proceeds to help establish the National Capital Compassion Society. That way, if we did media publicity, we could hard-sell the book because all the proceeds went to a charity.
Over the month of January 2003, Christine did the black and white line-work illustrations. We scanned them, and I spent the month of February in front of the computer, touching up the lines, adding color, and pasting in the text.
On March 1, we did the first print on a standard home computer laser printer. Upon seeing this first print, Mike Foster said he thought it was so nice, he’d like to publish it himself.
The 2000 printed copies arrived at Crosstown Traffic on April 21st, 2003, and since then, we have spoken to TV, Radio, and print media, trying to draw attention to the fact that we need a Compassion Club with a safe and consistant supply for people in the Ottawa area.
Mommy’s Funny Medicine has appeared in Cannabis Culture magazine, on local TV, Pot-TV, and can be ordered online at crosstowntraffic.ca.

see
http://www.salvagingelectrons.com/mfm/

#22 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:56 PM

diver, and you know what the principle did with it, :smokin:

And thats probably my biggest fear, is when they are teenagers, they will be getting in my stash. And that is why I feel educating them about it, dangers and all is very important.

And, thats why this thread is going to have so many different views and opinions is because we all do and feel differently about whats right for our families. Whats right for mine, might not work or be right for someone else. It doesn't mean either party is foolish, or ignorant, or inviting trouble.
And I'd much rather have my kids come to me to ask about drugs etc. instead of their peers. At least they will know what the good mushies look like when that time comes and they aren't out in the wild picking all sorts of mushrooms.

#23 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:22 PM

One good way is to buy a house with a good size storage shed out back.
This way, there's not a locked door in the house, which kids will eventually
find strange. A garage is another good option, creating seperation from the
kids leads to less questions. Where's Daddy? "He's outside working." That
probably works better then "he's inside that room you can't ever go in."

Spartan -this isn't the first time your rude remarks were edited by admin.
If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

#24 Slimlilshroomer

Slimlilshroomer

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:59 PM

There are alot worse things i can see my kids doing when there older than natural plants. Its the lab made drugs you need to educate against like coke heroin, meth, and so on. But for gods sake lock your shit up when you got lil runts around the house. No need to have your kids tripping there diapers off that would not be exceptable. As i said earlier use common sense to the environment you have to use.

#25 viraljimmy

viraljimmy

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 452 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:34 PM

Invitro in a locked cabinet in my closet.

I got inlaws over every day, and
they would bust me I know it.

I do my mixing and pc'ing when noone
will be home.

#26 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 27 October 2005 - 03:06 PM

Then don't judge. This thread is to help people be more safe around their kids. I don't want my little monkey to see what this big monkey does, but when the time is right and my children approach me about drugs I feel honesty is the best policy. If you lie all you do is create more bricks to build stronger walls. Cat, I am sure you do a few drugs recreationally. Am I wrong? Do you think you are a bad person? Do you think your children will be bad people if they grow up to be like you? Ignorance is the worst thing in the wrorld and we (the ones who have overcome ignorance and learned the truth about "drugs", we who have survived teenage stupidity) are the ones to tell the story and teach the next generation what it is like to think for one's self. I know damn good and well I don't want my children to grow up to be followers of the blind. :hippie:

You know I really don't want to judge, but think of it from a practical perspective...monkey see, monkey do. All I'm saying is don't be surprised if your daughter grows up and tries LSD, weed, E, mushrooms...you're not setting a good example. Sometimes you have to be a hypocrite. Also, god forbid she gets her hands on some drugs and something terrible happens...are you willing to accept that risk? I wouldn't want my daughter to think I'm a druggie...where is the admiration in that?

#27 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 04:57 PM

seems Cat has taught to view his own drug use as despicable,
something to be ashamed of and therefore something to hide.
well, one is wise to hide their drug use
but not because it's shameful.
the legal ramifications are the real reason to be concerned.
not every 'doper' is a crack head living in a trailer park,
some are wealthy successful 'stealth' dopers that live in
the 'burbs as one of the crowd, not even noticed.

anyway seems to me that the medicine aspect is the way to go
if your situation requires letting your children 'in' on your secret.
even psilocybes have medical uses in treatment of cluster headaches,
so your 'drug' is my 'medicine'
and thus perception is changed from bad to at least neutral.

#28 dead_diver

dead_diver

Stoned Since '76

• OG VIP
  • 3,535 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:25 PM

I'm more concerned about my daughter getting stupid drunk and coming home pregnant than I am about her smoking some weed. Alcohol is probably one of the worst drugs and it's legal. I have never heard of someone just smoking a joint and falling off a balcony to their death during spring break in Daytona but kids get drunk and do it every damn year. Shit, I'm more worried about my kid riding on the back of a motorcycle than I am of her smoking pot.

#29 LaughingDog

LaughingDog

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:12 PM

Sticky topic. Shrooms should be legal. It's ridiculous that they are illegal. No one should be ashamed of using them. That said, in this society stealth and responsible use is the way to go!

#30 suckerfree

suckerfree

GATE KEEPER

• OG VIP
  • 3,017 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:38 PM

Hmm.... my thoughts are.... as the parent you are supposed to protect your child. You wouldn't give your child cigarettes or beer, and illegal drugs go right along with that. So great, hide it all from them.... it would be sad shit for a child to eat a big bag of mushies....
BUT
just be aware of the consequences if you were to get arrested. there would be the possibility of the court taking possesion of your child. (even if the child was in no danger)

i make the same choice with loaded guns in my house. the punishment could be worse, and i understand that.

#31 mindovermycelia

mindovermycelia

Imaginary friend

• Expired Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 12:01 AM

some tribes start giving their young hallucinogens at very young ages
small doses
I remember reading about one that even gives small amounts of shrooms to their infants
not that I would do that to my kids - I mean they don't have a choice, so I don't think it would be right for me to try to somehow mold their consciousness with shrooms
but me and my wife will probably be arguing about how old is old enough in about 7 or 8 years
I guess it will depend on the maturity of the individual child and what their interests are, etc.
I didn't trip until I was 17, but I wanted to try LSD as soon as I heard about it when I was about 9 or 10 - the idea of hallucinations has always fascinated me
As a young PK I recall telling someone I would try acid before pot cuz it seemed so cool and I thought pot was some baaad shit back then

As for my kids, I grew some eddies and my son and everyone in my extended family knows it, most of em know I believe in tripping and they all know I was a pothead until very recently, so they may have a clue
but no one wants to see me get in trouble
they know I'm very smart and they trust me
I told my son not to ever mention it to anyone cuz some folks might get the wrong idea
sometimes I might be too honest, but I'd rather gauge people's reactions in a controlled situation than to have them be surprised later
I tell them I will have a farm one day, which is something I would like to do
I acually get respect from people cuz they think it's real complicated

The best thing for folks who have to be stealthy is the invitro tek, thanks hip
Or an outdoor patch, although some kids have been known to eat shrooms from the yard
you can easily get all you need for the whole year during the summer months and keep it away somewhere

#32 Slimlilshroomer

Slimlilshroomer

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 01:25 PM

My kids have never seen me smoke weed eat shrooms or anything. Further my kids have never even seen my mushroom set up or any of the supplies. Too be extra careful my wife and I never even talk about any of it in the presence of the kids because kids are known to talk alot. If my kids are going to grow up to do what im doing and all i do is smoke weed and eat shrooms. I never drink because alchy is this countrys real problem, But back to my point my kids are going to learn on there own if they want to toke or trip they sure as hell aint gonna learn it from me. common sense is the key to this hobby as well as other illicit things.

#33 Jonah

Jonah

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 04:52 AM

Its all on how you view "drugs" I'm not shooting heroin in my veins, or snorting coke up my nose in front of them. These are natural plants and I don't feel they are drugs.

cocaine comes from a plant too. so does cyanide.
If you think psilocybin isnt a drug, you're out of your fucking mind.

#34 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 06:28 AM

watch yer fucking mouth,
don't speak like that to us again
if you intend to stay here long.

address people in a polite civil manner
or i'll boot yer ass to the door PDQ.

aspirin's a drug, the caffeine in your soda pop is a drug,
your children's chocolate has drugs in it too
so what ?
there are many drugs all around us
and most are 'good' drugs,
acceptable to society.
her point is that there are
drugs and then there are DRUGS.
it's a valid point,
and deserves respect and tolerance for her position.

#35 mindovermycelia

mindovermycelia

Imaginary friend

• Expired Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:09 AM

It seems to that folks who continue to use, such as sls, feel they are ok doing it but they don't want to turn their kids on must feel guilty about what they are doing that it isn't right but they continue anyway extolling the virtues of pot and shrooms.
There are some drugs that have been proven to be very bad for your health and finances and I don't know any heroin/crack/meth addicts who feel they are doing something good for themselves or that it is something "fun" their kids might enjoy
I on the other hand think shrooms are great and I think my kids will enjoy them if they wind up being psychologically stable teenagers and I don't feel that there is a great risk of them winding up in jail if I teach them about the dangers (along with the potential benefits for kids at least) of cops nor will they wind up addicted to shrooms and it won't destroy their bodies over the years.
I play music and I will pass that on, I love nature and I will pass that on, I love rollerblading and I've waited to teach my son that till he is ready, just like I will wait on guitar/kbds/drums etc. I will also wait for shrooms, but I will let him know and I won't feel guilty for one stinking minute.
Marijuana is a little stickier issue for me as I have enjoyed it in the past, but I have also been strung out on it as well, I'll have to see where I am at on that issue when the time comes. I still think it would be better for them to hear some truth from someone who has lots of experience than some teen peer who doesn't know shit about the potential risks of overusing the stuff. I'd also rather them to smoke a little of the good unadulterated kind bud than blunts of crappy schwag that came from who knows where.

#36 Slimlilshroomer

Slimlilshroomer

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:22 AM

so i feel guilty because i dont let my 3 and 2 yearold sons in on it? Thats kind of the dumbest thing ive ever heard. I believe it is right and they should be legal but there is no place for this topic and my kids untell they are atleast 16.

#37 mindovermycelia

mindovermycelia

Imaginary friend

• Expired Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:31 AM

my point my kids are going to learn on there own if they want to toke or trip they sure as hell aint gonna learn it from me

that's what you said, dude, and saying what I said is dumb is offensive to me
I didn't dis you, I just said how it 'seems' to me
I didn't even say I would give my kids something they aren't ready for
READ THE POST!

what is up with these newbies poppin in here and badmouthing everyone lately?

I may be wrong but wasn't it SLS that called PF "idiotic?"

urghh.

#38 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:31 AM

Thats kind of the dumbest thing ive ever heard.

i'm going to warn you, too.
don't call folks 'dumb' or their opinions 'dumb'
because they don't see things like you do.
next thing
they're calling you names right back
and there's no good reason to go there.
use less judgemental , less offensive terms
and refrain from commenting about the other person
stick instead to the topic itself.

#39 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:40 AM

there is no place for this topic and my kids untell they are atleast 16.

hey they're your kids
so it's your problem
but i bet if you wait until they're 16
they'll already know more than you wanted.
many start experimenting in the 13-14 year old range,
and i've seen 11 year olds that had their own weed and papers.

everyone in the thread,
esp. the ones jumping up self-righteously to condemn others
needs to understand that situations are unique to each,
some kids need more info younger than others,
some drugs are worse than others,
some activities need to be hidden while others don't,
etc.
quit trying to make up rules
and shove them down others' throats.
worry about your own kids,
you'll be doing good if they make it as far as you have.

#40 buddahjoe

buddahjoe

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:10 AM

Man this is a heated topic. I have four kids the oldest is 7. I had to quit growing herb because they noticed the light around the closet door and the smell. I also got a lesson in being careful when my daughter told my mother in law that I smoked a pipe sometimes a "little one". That was a few years ago. I cant say she has never seen me smoke since but I have definitely been more discreet. As for my new hobby they have no idea. I dont do anything until they go to bed and everything is locked up out of reach. Still the idea of one of them eating some scares the shit out of me. So does the idea of them eating dish washer detergent or drinking pine sol or one of the thousand other poisonous things in my house but I keep them locked up and away too. I'd say err on the side of caution and keep things out of site and reach until you think they are mature enough to handle the topic.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!