• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Toadstool

Toadstool

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:23 PM

I am about to make a monotub of hillbilly on coir and worm castings. I stoped by my local hydro shop to pick up the worm castings and saw they had coir. The had big and small bricks. They had 2 diff. types, Fine. and chunky. I grabed the chunky thinking it would be better(fluffier etc..). I soaked it and it has bigger pieces and looks like roots. So my question is has anyone used this type? And if you will it be ok to use? Or should I go with the fine?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1117081506.jpg

#2 troutlips

troutlips

VIP Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:38 PM

I always get the "chunky" or coarse verm. If you need some to be fine you can always grind some in a coffee grinder.
Bigger chunks can hold more water. :amazed:

#3 Toadstool

Toadstool

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:43 PM

Thanks Lips, but I am using coir this round.

#4 troutlips

troutlips

VIP Moderator

• Expired Member
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:53 PM

Sorry, I thought you were talking 'bout verm. I've never seen "chunky" coir.
:eusa_doh:

#5 Toadstool

Toadstool

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:06 PM

The same here. I do not like going in that hydro store(on a busy street not far from a pig factory), but they are very well stocked. And the guys are kool as hell. I had another brick I got from the pet store and you can really see the diff. in the 2.

#6 Toadstool

Toadstool

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:37 PM

Anyone?

#7 Psoulocybe

Psoulocybe

Hoopy Frood

• Free Member
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:47 PM

The chunks are not your best bet. Much better success will be had with the small particle coir for mushrooms.

#8 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

I think you can use it ..Pick out any solid chunks .. Coarse fibers are fine but u will need to mix in some verm for better rez effect..

#9 seedlessstinky1

seedlessstinky1

Stinks

• Expired Member
  • 1,483 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:45 PM

I always use the fine coir. But if it is chunky you could always break it up right? I mean like grind it up to get the finer powder form.

#10 Toadstool

Toadstool

Mycophage

• OG VIP
  • 279 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:18 PM

I just took it back and traded it for the fine. I bought small brick of the chunky and soaked it, to see what it was like first. had lots of chunks that were kinda hard to break up. Was to many to try to pick out so I just took it back. I will just use the smaller 1 I have mixed with some verm. for DEC on my PF cakes.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!