Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Goliath Liquid Culture - How old is this liquid culture?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 02:44 AM

Attached is a picture of a liquid culture of mine. It is around 500 ml of 4% dextrose/malt solution inoculated with 3 ml of Goliath pan cyan starter liquid culture. It has been incubated at room temperature (around 75F) and continuously stirred around 200 RPM via a magnetic stir unit. This is the fasted growing liquid culture I have seen (faster than cubensis or any edible), and I am almost certain it is not contamination. How long do you think this liquid culture has been stirring to achieve the density you see in this picture? A week and a half? A week? How long? I'll post the answer after I get a few guesses.

Attached Thumbnails

• goliathlc.jpg

• Earthling likes this

#2 shobimono

shobimono

Chat Admin

• Free Member
  • 833 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 02:53 AM

36 hours

#3 Frankie

Frankie

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:13 AM

72 hours?

#4 kinetic

kinetic

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:29 AM

5 days?

#5 gema

gema

XPLORER

• Expired Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:34 AM

12 hours. :eusa_thin

#6 Guest_pcsillypj_*

Guest_pcsillypj_*

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:21 AM

yeah...i'm drnk and i'm already drawn to
thid thread..;)..lol...sorry..but i think your
doing a great job...:bow:..awsome job i'm
sure i'll do great..

#7 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

The Abe Vigoda of Mycotopia

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:18 AM

I'm going to say 24 hours. I love these LC closeups...

#8 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:48 AM

The correct answer is exactly 36 hours! And it will be DONE today (at around 2 days)! That makes this the fastest liquid culture I have ever seen!

Well, there is this belief that liquid cultures take a week on the Shroomery to get ready, but I see you guys are smarter! From my experience, if you go from an invisible number of spores to your culture, it can take at the most seven days, but of the five types of mushrooms I've grown in liquid culture, it only takes about 2 to 5 days from a couple ccs of liquid culture to completed liquid culture. You can add approximately 2 days when going from spores. It's really fast. The slowest mycelium I've tried in liquid culture is Panellus stipticus (a faintly green-glowing wood lover). This Goliath Pan Cyan is the fastest. I am guessing that oyster mycelium will probably tie it, but I haven't tried it. Oyster mycelium is the fastest mycelium I know on grain.

By the way, the term "completed liquid culture" is pretty subjective. To me that is when one cannot see the magnet in the case of the slurry if the magnet is rolled on the opposite side of the jar OR it is the case where the mycelium aggregates into blobs and the culture turns clear with mycelium blobs. In either case, I consider it complete.

Attached is a picture of my secret weapon to make liquid cultures go so fast. You can get the same type of thing on Ebay for around $40 to $50 (they retail new for $300 to $500 mostly).

Attached Thumbnails

• isotherm.jpg

• Earthling likes this

#9 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 October 2005 - 12:05 PM

What "shape" stir bars do you use?

I'm having a boatload of fun playing with those Vacutainer tubes, too. Thanks for the suggestion!

#10 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 12:47 PM

I am using a 2" long and about 3/8" thick standard teflon octigonal stir bar. In the middle I have a piece of neoprene rubber tubing about 1/2" long to prevent the magnet from clanking on the glass. It runs totally silently.

#11 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 02:25 PM

And in 48 hours from injection the Goliath Pan Cyan liquid culture is ready to use...
:cacti:

Attached Thumbnails

• goliath48hrs.jpg

#12 BuckarooBanzai

BuckarooBanzai

• 8,968 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:44 PM

Neoprene to prevent that clatter/clank is a pretty damn good idea.

Can you PC it?

#13 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:49 PM

Neoprene is a modern rubber-like substance that is somewhat like silicone in charater but is more durable. It can be pressure cooked thousands of times and is food-safe. It basically never wears out. If you can't find it, you will be able to find silicone tubing at any hobby shop. It's used for fuel lines.

#14 gema

gema

XPLORER

• Expired Member
  • 178 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:38 AM

you could also buy stir bars with molded rings on them instead of using neoprene to prevent the bars from hitting your glass jars.

#15 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:58 AM

it would be interesting to compare results
between a batch done this way
and a batch without the magnetic stirring

also it would be interesting to compare yet a 3rd batch
that got bubbled constantly with sterile air...

#16 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:24 AM

gema, all the octagonal stir bars have molded rings in the center that I have seen. In a glass jar, the ring does not prevent the clattering sound but does lessen it a little. On my stir bar I stretched the neoprene tubing over the molded ring.

Hippie3, I would also be interested. Judging from the weak cloud-like appearance of the marble-stirred cubensis liquid cultures I see online, I am doubtful that couple-times-a-day hand marble mixing works as well. I never have that sort of wimpy apperance to my liquid cultures using a stir bar and stirring all day with any type of mycelium, and I've tried about five types now.

#17 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 07:35 AM

have you tested different RPM settings to see what speed is 'best' ?

#18 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 09:00 PM

Different mycelium types seem to like different RPMs. The trouble with super high RPMS is that it can cause the mycelium to form aggregates too fast and too hard. You don't want that because a super hard mycelium blob can jam the needle. On the other hand, if you go too slowly, the mycelium can start to collect up on the stir bar which is just as bad. I try to keep the RPM such that neither things happens.

By the way, I injected that Goliath LC into compost. So far the development is very odd. It is nothing like the Ausi's were for me. It looks to be so fine and so whispy that I cannot even be certain it's not contamination. If it is the mushroom mycelium, it looks nothing like the Ausi's for sure.

#19 bluehelix

bluehelix

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:02 AM

Just to let everyone know, the liquid culture was not contaminated. It just is totally different than the Ausi Pan Cyans is all. The mycelium is so whispy with Goliath that I thought there was a problem. I don't believe so anymore. Man, I think this is the last time I grow Goliath Pan Cyans. The Ausi mycelium is way faster and holds the substrate much more tenaciously.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!