• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#1 trippinvegan

trippinvegan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 07:39 PM

if mushrooms are stored in an airtight baggy, and then put into the freezer, will they get frosty, then mushy?

#2 Guest_the_*

Guest_the_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:00 PM

Don't put fresh mushrooms in the freezer. I don't really know why, it's just something to regurgitate...the saying, not the mushrooms.

#3 Guest_neverblink_*

Guest_neverblink_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:08 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Don't put fresh mushrooms in the freezer<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
It's like when a head of lettuce freezes. The cell walls are destroyed and the thing turns flimsy and mushy. No pun intended.

#4 Guest_golly_*

Guest_golly_*

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:15 PM

potency dropped by 80% on the three occasions i tried that method --extreme oxidation [ blueing ] upon thawing was noted.

#5 Lazlo

Lazlo

old hand

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:25 PM

Never store fresh shrooms in baggies. Always dry them well before storing. Cracker dry.

#6 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:30 PM

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

Never store fresh shrooms in baggies. Always dry them well before storing. Cracker dry.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>I agree...I had a friend put some freshies in the freezer and when they thawed they(Mushies) turned black.He got sick from eating them.

#7 imok

imok

-

• Expired Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:59 PM

The best way to store freshies is on the invitro cake
in the fridge sealed up.
It slows down the growth and you can store them for months.
Otherwise check the storage teks.
Basically, dry them then vacuum seal them in a jar with desicant.

Link:Drying/Storage: Picking/Harvesting What to do with the shrooms when you are successful(you don't have to let the excess rot, you can store it for later instead)

Here are some other helpful links

Link:Archives Has all of the collected wisdom, and information needed to be successful in this hobby(there is alot of info there, check the archives out yourself, updated often).

Link:Search If you can't find it in the Glossary, use the Search function at the top of every page to search the archives and the rest of the board too.

Link:Mycotopia's CD Set Mycotopia's entire database on a 2 cd set(useful information, photographs, TEKS, commentary, questions & answers, Shroomy ScreenSaver, Interactive Grower's Guide by Bookmaker and a Shroomy FAQ)

#8 trippinvegan

trippinvegan

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 10:26 PM

oh sorry, im talking about dry mushrooms

#9 cutty

cutty

Gone Fishin'

• Expired Member
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 11:22 PM

Dry mushies can be stored in a ziplock,in a cool place.

#10 mycophyle

mycophyle

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 12:55 PM

Just wanted to know if anyone else puts their dry chamber in the fridge. They seem to dry a bit slower but in stasis, is this good or would it be better to just leave them at room temp to dry? all reomendations welcome.

PS HI ALL! tis good to be back, was traveling for a spell...
mycophyle

#11 shedthemonkey

shedthemonkey

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:32 PM

You just need lots of airflow to dry these little myco wonders. The humidity is so low for me that I dont even need to fan small amounts of mushies, just put them on and under a couple layers of paper towels and it acts as a mild dessicant. Larger amounts need to have constant airflow, and if you are in a very humid environment you may have to go to one of the dessicant boxes that are in the archives with damprid or whatever. Not sure about the fridge tho...

Attached Thumbnails

• offthemark20050146463107.gif

#12 booger

booger

Mycophiliac

• Validating
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 01:36 PM

you know a few times i have left them over night in the fridge in a paper bag and they were about half dry the next day... weird eh, i never did figure that one out.

#13 muffy

muffy

Political Prisoner

• Expired Member
  • 530 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:07 PM

i find using damp-rid in a tupperwear bowl with wire racks works well

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 02:41 PM

pf recommended drying in the fridge
but to be honest
i doubt it makes enough difference to matter.
the best way i've found starts the same-
split the thick stems
and use a fan blowing air directly on them
for aboutr 24 hours,
that'll get the majority of the water out.
then you can finish drying to the desired degree
using your favorite dessicant in a sealed chamber.

#15 Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Guest_lost_onabbey_rd_*

Posted 19 February 2005 - 04:06 PM

^^^^ is exactly what i do... cracker dry in 48-52 hours.
i have riged up a shoe box with a computer fan on one end.. and string them up with needle and thread.. the shoe box is just big enough to dry one flush from a casing.. pretty soon i think i'm gonna have to find myself a bigger box.. after they are dry i feel they are dry enough i put them in a plastic container with some damp-rid and they dry for 24hrs or untill cracker dry... if you cut the stems in half the will dry quicker, as more surface area is exposed, personally i don't worry about it.. it's nothing a few more hours of sitting around won't do
i have dryed some in the fridge, by accedent, but never really knowticed a difference in strenght, but then again, potency and trip strengh is all relative...
LOST

#16 mycophyle

mycophyle

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 06:06 PM

I do have a container w/ damprid in the fridge now. but the issue is that i seem to be adding faster than they are drying. the fresher ones seem to re-hydrate the partially dry ones. So maybe it would be better to leave them out for a while to air-dry, then refridg. in the damp-rid box. sounds good! thanks guys. Peace. MYC.

#17 Zozo

Zozo

The green paladin

• Free Member
  • 588 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:07 AM

Hi all,
I was reading and looking around for drying method
where I live there is a high humidity and when I dry the shrooms they are turning dark bluish and shrink a lot so I dty to find out what to do.
First is that lower the potency ?
Second I was reading that you can't dry them in the oven because you loss potency but I was reading this data in Erowid that says you can go to 180c or some thing
like that, so can I heat them to dry them ?
I can't buy the Dehydrator where I live :(

thanks in advance
zoro

#18 Joe Balls

Joe Balls

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:12 AM

IF you leave them on a box fan for 2 days what happens?

The common answer is skip the heat... use a fan then finish them in an airtight container with damp-rid in it. "desiccator"

The oven will work... especially a convection oven witht eh door part open but heat, even under 180, speeds up the half life of actives. You will probably not notice if they are fresh and strong, but for long term storage avoid the heat.

#19 Zozo

Zozo

The green paladin

• Free Member
  • 588 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

IF you leave them on a box fan for 2 days what happens?

The common answer is skip the heat... use a fan then finish them in an airtight container with damp-rid in it. "desiccator"

The oven will work... especially a convection oven witht eh door part open but heat, even under 180, speeds up the half life of actives. You will probably not notice if they are fresh and strong, but for long term storage avoid the heat.

Thanks a lot thats help.
do you think that in 180F they will not loss potency ?

peace
zpzp

#20 Joe Balls

Joe Balls

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:38 AM

Thanks a lot thats help.
do you think that in 180F they will not loss potency ?

peace
zpzp

They will but you will probably not notice unless you do it too long. Search this site for "oven drying"... over the years many have done it.

The best thing to do to preserve potency is to avoid heat and use a box fan then desicate to make the snap when they are dry. After that, only when they are cracker dry vacuum seal them and they will last years... or so I am told. :rasta:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!