• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#21 Psoulocybe

Psoulocybe

Hoopy Frood

• Free Member
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 12:54 PM

Sometimes I use the crisper drawer of a fridge in place of a dessicant box.

Never heat though.

#22 Zozo

Zozo

The green paladin

• Free Member
  • 588 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

thank you all

No heat at all is Best as heat breaks down the molecular chain of Psyilbin

Any heat over 120 will destory the Psyilbin content and you'll be left with useless mushies as heat does break down psyilbin (spl).

I gave the link to here ->
http://www.erowid.or...chemistry.shtml

they say you need higher temp then 120? ... more like 180c
are you sure 60 or 70c witll destory the Psyilbin ?

peace
zozo

#23 Joe Balls

Joe Balls

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:09 PM

I think the screw up in this thread is between C and F.

180F may be ok and will reduce potency but not kill it... 180C will destryo it all as far as I know.

#24 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

I think the screw up in this thread is between C and F.

180F may be ok and will reduce potency but not kill it... 180C will destryo it all as far as I know.

I know for a fact that you can boil them in alcohol for hours, and not lose much potency if any- bioassay indicated the extract was proportional to the starting material.

#25 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:03 PM

I know for a fact that you can boil them in alcohol for hours, and not lose much potency if any- bioassay indicated the extract was proportional to the starting material.

Do you think that part of the reason for this is that the psilocybin is less exposed to oxidation while submerged in liquid?

#26 Joe Balls

Joe Balls

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:09 PM

180C is 356F so that is out. Total destruction.

Ethanol boils at 173F so I can believe the testing that shows small losses. Not sure if the ethanol would reduce the heat damage... interesting.

#27 Dr_T

Dr_T

Random Dude

• Expired Member
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:58 PM

Don't know if it's because oxygen is excluded, and I didn't eat any of them fresh to have a baseline, but the extract worked great. An amount equal to 2 grams of starting material had appropriate effects. Less than eating the same fruits fresh? Maybe. But still perfectly satisfactory.

#28 rags724

rags724

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:19 PM

yes no heat

#29 Zozo

Zozo

The green paladin

• Free Member
  • 588 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

thank you all,
although I don't know yet how hot is still good and I don't got the answer if the shroom that got a bit bluish are still potent, I understand no heat :)

peace
zozo

#30 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:06 AM

Many of you have been wondering.
And a picture is worth more than a thousand words...
I hope that this topic will serve at least a week here ;)

Description:

At the bottom there is drierite and the white piece of cloth is something like a bandage - you can even use a sock. Just make sure your drying jar/ pot can seal properly. Drierite works in such way that it sucks up the water from the air creating dessert inside of the container.

Procedure:

SWIM puts the mushies on shelf in a dark place, they sit there for 2-3 days. Drying with FAE in the beginning is more efficient.
Later he puts the half-dry shrooms into the dryer and lets them sit there until he feels they are ready.
When they're then he puts them into another sealed and empty this time container to store them for longer time.

A few more words:

Drierite is cheap, low toxic (they even put it in our food:rasta:), easy to get. It's a salt. Unfortunately you cannot reuse it or it's really hard to do that, but it's the most efficient dessicant I've known and used. You don't need a dehydrator and even if you use one, drierite will nicely finish up your material.

Drierite can dry mushrooms cracker dry. That way - without any moisture they will last really long without loosing their potency. That's the only right way to prepare them for further processing - brewing tea, making extracts etc.

n-joy:rasta:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC03882.JPG

• GadgetGuy likes this

#31 GadgetGuy

GadgetGuy

~Resident Perv~

• Expired Member
  • 3,015 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

I'm gonna have to see if I can hunt that stuff down in this little town. Thanks!

#32 koldj

koldj

Wounded Healer

• Expired Member
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:18 AM

I'm sure you can. Some chemical store, drug store, look for chemicals. This stuff is even used to dry houses if there is excess of moisture causing fungi growth :rasta:.

It is Calcium chloride, CaCl2, also known as DampRid and many other names around the world.

http://en.wikipedia....alcium_chloride

#33 Om shanti

Om shanti

S.W.I.M. in H.POO

• Expired Member
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:33 AM

I'll try that next time. :)

#34 Moose

Moose

Big Game Shroomer

• Expired Member
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

I just use a box covered with some window screen. I know it's a little crude, but hey, it works. Takes 2-3 days. If I want them to dry a bit quicker I just stick that box into my incubator, takes 'em no time to dry. As for potency, they'll still put a psilly grin on your face. I've been thinking about using some type of dessicant in a plastic container, read a lot about it and seems to work well.

Moose

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2089.JPG

#35 eatyualive

eatyualive

ExoCannibalist

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 6,153 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:52 AM

box fan and coca cola racks. they stack easy. and you can set the fruits on them. also have holes so the air penetrates all racks.

just stack them. and place the box fan face down on em.

#36 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:00 PM

http://archives.myco...html?1107792839

#37 mushmind

mushmind

campus radical

• Expired Member
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

i have a dehydrator with variable heat. What say you to using it on the lowest setting which is 95 F? i know heat is suppossed to diminish the actives but it dries them in record time even during times of high humidity. I wonder if 95 F is high enough to kill the psilly? I haven't tried them yet.

#38 Freaky

Freaky

Head Editor

• OG VIP
  • 12,354 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

I can give personal experience as an answer for this.

The heat does cause a slight loss of potency, but they will still be potent. Do not leave them in the dehydrator for more than 12 hours. I actually do 6-8 hours (depending on how many there are to dry) and then move right to an airtight dessicant chamber to complete the process. This is kept in a cool and dark place.

The heating element can be removed from the dehydrator, making it just a fan. I don't bother with all that. If I've got a small flush from some invitro or cake flushes, I use the dehydrator.

Heat is detrimental to the magic, but I also have a minimum 95 setting and I use it with slight loss of potency. Though they dry in half the time as other method I use for my large flushes. So you're trading off time spent drying vs. minimal potency loss.

#39 mushmind

mushmind

campus radical

• Expired Member
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

yeah it became impossible to dry anything awhile back with the high humidity here. four days under a fan and still pretty limp. got a dehydrator and ended all that. I haven't used desicant in a while tho. I'll giv4e that a try after 12 hrs of warm air.

#40 Leftover Salmon

Leftover Salmon

Bold as Love

• Expired Member
  • 490 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:14 AM

Brown paper bag from the grocer... Swear by it. May take a tad bit longer. Just walk by from time to time and shake the bad boy a bit. it will dry before you know it. When cultivating, I have a grip of bags all over the casa... Patience is the key. This is also the key to less energy spending... ;)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!