• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ishkaboo

ishkaboo

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:12 PM

What is the best thing to do when PF jars pin before the cake is fully colonized? Should they be left incubating with the pins or should they be birthed immediately?

#2 feralronin

feralronin

Professional Amateur

• Expired Member
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

Wait for full colonization. Or cut the uncolonized portion off before placing in FC. Uncolonized cake will contam very quickly IME.

I basically let them go invitro until ready for the fc.
  • Hippie3 likes this

#3 a foaf

a foaf

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

my friend had one recently do the same thing, he just let it go invitro as well, it kept pinning like crazy and then eventually the rest of the jar colonized.

#4 oakchild

oakchild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

I agree. Let the pins grow, and when at full colonization birth it.

Blessings,
Oakchild

8-)

#5 ishkaboo

ishkaboo

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:59 PM

Thanks for the advice they will just chill for a little while longer. :thumbup:

#6 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

yep, good advice.

#7 ishkaboo

ishkaboo

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:59 PM

DAMN these pins are big im not sure they can wait for full colonization, what if they get TOO big?? Amazonian is a very prolific strain DAMN.

Maybe in 1-2 days they should be washed quickly to get any substrate from the top (the only substrate remaining) off and birthed? Opinions?

#8 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:45 AM

DAMN these pins are big im not sure they can wait for full colonization, what if they get TOO big?? Amazonian is a very prolific strain DAMN.

Maybe in 1-2 days they should be washed quickly to get any substrate from the top (the only substrate remaining) off and birthed? Opinions?

Hehe yeh my Amazon's went crazy when they were invitro, and when you say the top do you mean your dry vermiculite layer?

#9 oakchild

oakchild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:49 AM

My advice still stands. Let keep going! How can they get too big?

BTW: Got any pics?

Blessings,
Oakchild

8-)

#10 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:52 AM

My advice still stands. Let keep going! How can they get too big?

BTW: Got any pics?

Blessings,
Oakchild

8-)

I'm with Oak, and i'd love to see pics, Invitro jars just look awesome.

and Ishkaboo, the dark tower series is great!

#11 oakchild

oakchild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:58 AM

I'm with Oak, and i'd love to see pics, Invitro jars just look awesome.

and Ishkaboo, the dark tower series is great!

Skatterman: I disagree completely! The Dark Tower Series is EPIC!!! :lol::lol::lol: To simply call it "great" is like saying the works of Douglas Adams are "occasionally mildly funny".

:thumbup:

#12 Skatterman420

Skatterman420

Former Member

• Banned Member
  • 589 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

Skatterman: I disagree completely! The Dark Tower Series is EPIC!!! :lol::lol::lol: To simply call it "great" is like saying the works of Douglas Adams are "occasionally mildly funny".

:thumbup:

Your right, great is an understatement, I felt like my heart was broken after finishing each book.

#13 ishkaboo

ishkaboo

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 867 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:10 AM

Ok pics first. Here are 4 pics of the 3 jars pinning... 4 pics because one jar's pins are big and I needed two pics.

I think somehow the moisture in the jars and inefficient FAE was caused by the jars being basically being sealed with water proof tape, which I didn't think at the time of appliance would reseal itself via its elasticity (needless to say I am not using it again because the jars stalled and then pinned early) which caused the stalling in the first place.

I am going to wait as long as possible, but if it comes down to the pins pressing up against the glass and top of the jar lid (as the one jar with the huge pins is already doing), should I just give the cakes a wash in some cold water to remove any non-colonized layer and then place them in the sealed fruiting chamber?

This amazonian strain is just so fast it caught me off guard. I don't want contams though, this will be in a sealed FC but still, I need to be careful, what do u think?

I have never had mycellium pinn before fully colonizing...

The B+ jars that are going sumultaniously with the amazons are not pinning at all and looks more colonized than the amazons... could the amazons be such fast colonizers that they are affected by FAE that greatly?

Attached Thumbnails

• Pins 4.jpg
  • pins3.jpg
  • Pins1.jpg
  • Pins2.jpg

#14 oakchild

oakchild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:40 AM

Let them keep going.