#1 OZZZ

OZZZ

Occultus munia es in nos

• Free Member
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

Appreciate the input guys! Much love :love:

So here it is :)

Ive been playing with some monotubs and seem to be getting them dialed in. I was breaking up some hpoo the other night to do a GT mono and figured Ild post a little pictorial since I see a lot of questions from new growers about the texture, type, and prep of horse poo for use as a substrate. Im sure this has been already done but it certainly cant hurt to have some pics.

Firstly, find a good source of HPOO. If you live in the country the answer is obvious, but even in a metropolitan area theres still farmers, or individuals that have horses for recreation that live on the outskirts of the city that are more then happy to have you come take all you need for free.

Check craigslist, its a great site. Search for Horse Manure. If you dont get any posts then try posting an add yourself. Horse Manure Wanted. If you will come get it, theres plenty that are willing to let you have it.
As for the type of nuggets you want, you want nuggets that are leached and dried. They should crumble in your hand like you'll see in the below pics. If they are to old, they will crumble up, feel, and smell like dirt. It will be obvious. If they are too wet ... they will feel, and smell ... well ... like shit!

Properly aged horse manure really has no smell or more of an earthy smell, and crumbles up into a nice fluffy consistancy that has little pieces of straw and fibers in it.

horsepoo (1 of 10).jpg horsepoo (2 of 10).jpg horsepoo (3 of 10).jpg horsepoo (4 of 10).jpg

Once you have the proper nuggets simply break them up by hand in a bucket, I use a 5 gallon for this purpose but anything will do. Break up all the chunks until you get a nice, fluffy consistancy. Make sure to completely break up all the little pieces so the mycelium can quickly colonize it later. Some of the nuggets may be a little to old and dry, and some might still be a little moist inside. Its really no big deal as long as most of them are properly aged. If you get one a little moist just break it up nice and softly and fluff it up as much as possible. If you get one that resembles dirt, hell I still break it up and grind it in my hands to mix right in.

If theres any pieces of grass or even some leaves that came along for the ride, I know most would say to pick that stuff out... and you certainly can .. however I just break up any old dried grass up into pieces and crumble any dried leaves up and mix it all in. Consider it additives. I havent had any problems doing it this way its all getting properly pasturized anyway.

It should look like this once you get it all crumbled and fluffed up.

horsepoo (5 of 10).jpg horsepoo (6 of 10).jpg horsepoo (7 of 10).jpg

This is a little less then I use for a 64 qt monotub. Usually I look for about 7 liters of crumbled horse poo for that size of tub.

horsepoo (8 of 10).jpg horsepoo (10 of 10).jpg

Once I get about 7 liters of hpoo I add 2 quarts of verm, and 2 cups of powdered gypsum to it. Dump it right in the bucket, and mix throughly. If you like you could add a quart of worm castings or spent coffee grounds, but it isnt needed. I take approx. 400 grams of compressed coir and break it up into pieces and put it on top of the hpoo mixture.
I boil 7 quarts of water on the stove, and pour it in the bucket over all the contents. I then put a lid on the bucket that has some holes drilled into it and cover with a towel. The temps stay very hot for quite some time. In my experience it usually takes a full 24 hours for it to cool enough to be spawned. It easily stays above pasturization temps for a good 5-6 hours or so. This could be considered semi-sterilization. This bucket tek came from Large_Dose's coir tek and is a great way to pasturize bulk substrates. Although I like to simplify it by just pouring boiling water into the 5 gallon bucket and let it sit.

Coir in itself usually is pretty clean. Many people use it without any pasturization at all. Once we dump the boiling water into the bucket, the coir expands and seals in the hpoo and the other substrate materials that do need pasturization. It keeps them hot by creating a blanket of coir over the surface, so to speak, trapping the heat in the lower portions of the bucket along with the more vulnerable substrate materials.

Once its sat overnight to cool, take the lid off and mix it up by hand. usually the moisture content will be right on but if it seems a bit wet I simply take it into a bathtub and dump it upside down to see if any water runs out of the holes in the lid. If nothing comes out I know Im close enough.

From here it is ready to spawn and go into monotubs, trays, or any other fruiting technique you want to use. If it is a little to wet you can simply squeeze it out a bit while you are spawning. I use lots of spawn and Ive noticed that the quart jars of colonized wbs are pretty dry and they seem to use up any excess moisture pretty quickly during the spawn run.

mycelium (1 of 1).jpg pins (1 of 1).jpg

So grab a tub, cut some holes in the sides, wipe it out with alcohol and lay a trash bag down in it. Sprinkle down some WBS spawn on the bottom, gently lay down your hpoo mix layer and continue to layer hpoo with wbs spawn until you only have one layers worth of the hpoo mix left. Then simply double up your spawn on the last wbs layer and lay down your final hpoo layer on top. I like doing it this way so it forces the mycelium to grow vertically rather then horizontally. Horizontal growth can often times form a matt on the surface that is not as effecient at developing pins. This tip came from Fahster.

tub1of12rm9.jpg

I like to cover the tub with some towels or a blanket to block out the light and keep the gas exchange to a minimum. After a week to ten days or so the mycelium will have completely colonized the surface and in many cases, is already knotting and pinning before I even introduce it to light and fresh air.

pins (1 of 1).jpg

........ and a few days later .... pins ....

pins (1 of 1).jpg

Getting pretty in there ;)

growing (1 of 1).jpg

... and 12 hours later ...... BLAM! Still has a little maturing to do but was looking sexy so its close enough. Probably harvest in the morning although then it will probably be TOO late. Damn things always hit the sweet spot in the middle of the night it seems.

GTmaturation (1 of 3).jpg GTmaturation (2 of 3).jpg GTmaturation (3 of 3).jpg

........ and finaly .... 6 hours later ...

HARVEST

55 (1 of 3).jpg 55 (2 of 3).jpg 55 (3 of 3).jpg

A few attempts at some artistic shots .... lol

beauty (4 of 4).jpg beauty (2 of 4).jpg beauty (1 of 4).jpg beauty (3 of 4).jpg

OZZ

Attached Thumbnails

• bucket (1 of 1).jpg
  • bucket1 (1 of 1).jpg

Edited by Sidestreet, 15 September 2016 - 06:32 PM.

• Sidestreet, Burger, Freaky and 7 others like this

#2 Irishlion

Irishlion

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:27 PM

Very freaking nice man Very nice. Props bro. :love::meditate::kewl::cool::eusa_danc:teeth::bow:

#3 Shroomette

Shroomette

Holding Tank

• Expired Member
  • 4,080 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

WOW:love: Excellent write-up and pictorial there OZZZ. Very lovely mushies you have.:loveeyes:

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,629 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

Super cool. That's a hell of a canopy! :teeth: Thanks for passing on the tip about vertical growth.

So there is such a thing as too old for poo?

#5 OZZZ

OZZZ

Occultus munia es in nos

• Free Member
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:22 PM

Well, yes ..... in a way. Some of the nuggets are so old then when you break them up they are mostly dirt ... or seem, and smell like dirt. As mentioned though, Ive still been breaking it up and just putting it right in with everything else along with any leaves, grass, etc, etc that came along for the ride.

Im guessing if you had a ton of the really old "dirt" like stuff it would end up really dense and colonize poorly.
  • golly and jkdeth like this

#6 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

Nice grow there OZZZ. :cool:

#7 Renz

Renz

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

awesome write up! thanx for sharing

#8 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

Those nugs look perfect and the mushrooms agree...:cool:

Great thread Ozzz....!

#9 iracious

iracious

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

Beautiful pictorial! And that flush was amazing, what did that flush/tub yield?

#10 OZZZ

OZZZ

Occultus munia es in nos

• Free Member
  • 396 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

Thanks guys :)

Im not sure on yield just yet .... but it took all 9 overflowing trays of my dehydrator and I had to push, shove, and pile them in there to get them all to fit. Then had to put a couple gallons of water on top of it to get it to stay .... lol

I need to make a bulk dryer I had one before with a simple box fan and a rubbermaid (with screens) and it worked great but I havent gotten around to it.
  • funny1 likes this

#11 Shmoo

Shmoo

google me

• Expired Member
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:38 AM

Is that a multispore, clone, or isolate?

#12 arcamedes333

arcamedes333

shroomarama

• Expired Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:03 AM

Great write up ozzz, I think I might try hpoo on my next grow.

#13 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:11 AM

Very very nice, ozzz! That is exaclty what horse poo should look like for a good grow. Nice pictorial!

#14 OZZZ

OZZZ

Occultus munia es in nos

• Free Member
  • 396 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

Yup, its working out nicely.

This was GT multispore.
  • viper47 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!