• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bigorange420

bigorange420

StoneR

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

Ill be going to Maui for two weeks in Hawaii, and Im going to spend some time looking for mushrooms, and psychoactive plants that might be growing in the wild.

Could I expect to find any psilocybes around January in Hawaii?

Also does anyone know of any psychoactive plants I may come across in the forests?

So far this is what Ive found grows there:

Piper methysticum (kava)
San Pedro cactus
Hawaiin Baby Woodrose
Brugmansia
Coleus

#2 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

You should be able to find both P. cubensis and P. cyanescense. Look in horse and cow poop. I dont think shrooms are seasonal if the temperatures remain conducive for growth.

#3 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,063 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:08 PM

Could I expect to find any Psilocybes around January in Hawaii?

No active species of Psilocybe has been recorded in Hawaii.

You should look for Copelandia cyanescens.

#4 bigorange420

bigorange420

StoneR

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

Im pretty sure I read an article by MushroomJohn that said the only one you can expect to find there are Panaeolus Subbalteatus, Copelandia Cyanescens, C. Tropicalis..

Ill look for cyans, and cubensis but I wouldnt expect to find them in such a tropical climate.. Cubensis maybe, but not cyanescens...

#5 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,063 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:22 PM

You will not find any cubensis, it just doesn't grow there.

You seem to be confusing Psilocybe cyanescens with Panaeolus cyanescens. You will only find the latter in Hawaii.

#6 Renz

Renz

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

No active species of Psilocybe has been recorded in Hawaii.

You should look for Copelandia cyanescens.

I've heard that too, :cry:

#7 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,651 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

You will not find any cubensis, it just doesn't grow there.

You seem to be confusing Psilocybe cyanescens with Panaeolus cyanescens. You will only find the latter in Hawaii.

Alan, There arre five speices of Copelandia in Hawaii, And Panaeolus subbalteatus and Amanita muscaria.

Here is an image of species and another page of chemical analysis from one of my scholarly puplished papers on Psychoactive musrhooms in the Hawaiian Islands.

Bigorange420, please Read my paper on Magic Mushrooms published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology

at this URL:

It provides specific locations. IF there is no raiiny times going on you may not find any.

This paper is on Oahu, Maui, the Big Island of Hawaii and Kuaui.

SPECIES IDENTIFICATION AND CHEMICAL ANALYSIS
OF
PSYCHOACTIVE FUNGI IN THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS
by
Mark D. Merlin and John W. Allen

http://mushroomjohn.org/hawaii1.htm

THE ABSTRACT:

Several fungi species colllected int he Hawaiian Islands have been reported to be psychoactive. Previous chemical analyses together with the present study indicate that five coprophilous and one non-coprophilous species occurring in the islands are now known to contain psychoactive alkaloids. At least some of these species are consumed in the Hawaiian Islands, as well as elsewhere, for non-traditional, recreational purposes. These include Copelandia cyanescens (Berk. et Br.) Singer, Copelandia tropicalis (Ola'h) Singer and Weeks(syn. Panaeolus tropicalis Ola'h), Copelandia anomala Murrill, and Panaeolus subbalteatus (Berk. and Br.) Sacc., which have already been described from the Hawaiian Islands. Three more mind-altering fungi and one non-psychoactive species are reported from this archipelago for the first time. These psychoactive fungi include Copelandia bispora (Malençon et Bertault) Singer and Weeks from O'ahu, Copelandia cambodginiensis (Ola'h et Heim) Singer and Weeks from O'ahu, and Amanita muscaria (L.) Hooker from Kaua'i. Panaeolus goossensiae Beeli identified from O'ahu contains tryptamine compounds; however, the psychoactive alkaloids of psilocybin and psilocin were not found in this dung species.

TABLE 1
Psychoactive Fungi of Hawaii

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1228790407

TABLE 4
Results of Chemical Analysis of Fungi COllected on O'ahu Island July 17-24, 1990.
Analysis by T. Stijve, Nestec Ltd. (Plate 1-2. FIg. 13-14)

http://mycotopia.net...=1&d=1228790400

Alan, I am surprised that you have not read my published papers on the Mushrooms in the Hawaiian Islands.

And another paper from Shroomtalk Magazine issue 3:

http://mushroomjohn.org/hawaii4.htm

and have a shroomy day.

You can find more information at http://www.mushroomj...rg/articles.htm

mjshroomer

Attached Thumbnails

• table4hawaii.jpg
  • table1hawaii.jpg

#8 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,063 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:53 PM

Alan, I am surprised that you have not read my published papers on the Mushrooms in the Hawaiian Islands.

I have read them, but I don't think it does any good to tell him to look for five species of active Copelandia.

Since he doesn't have a microscope, they will all appear to be Copelandia cyanescens.

Of course in reality he will will find all sorts of crazy and rare species of Copelandia but trying to sort them out will just confuse him.

#9 dial8

dial8

3 Fungi Mod

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 5,767 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:27 AM

I could have sworn I have seen photos of cubensis from Hawaii. Am I remembering wrong? Oh and when I said P. cyanescens I meant Panaleous. Sorry I did not make that clearer. That is the problem with using the first letter of the genus when there are two different species with a genus name that starts with "p" and the same species name. I got use to abbreviating the genus name in colledge. Again I mean pan cyans. I should probably start using the genus name Coplendia for that species.

#10 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,651 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:40 PM

I could have sworn I have seen photos of cubensis from Hawaii. Am I remembering wrong? Oh and when I said P. cyanescens I meant Panaleous. Sorry I did not make that clearer. That is the problem with using the first letter of the genus when there are two different species with a genus name that starts with "p" and the same species name. I got use to abbreviating the genus name in colledge. Again I mean pan cyans. I should probably start using the genus name Coplendia for that species.

Usualy people use Pn. subbalteatus although it is not proper latin. Others use the p whole name of Panaeolus subbalteatus.

Yes Alan, with out a microscope, separating the Copelandia speciesis impossible, except for the bispora which gorw more in grassy areas withmanured soil thandirectly form manure,.

And Dial 8, The only cubes in hawaii come from Exotica Pacifica Spora, which are grown indoorsfroma species which originated inMexico. In fat, their P.O. box in Haaii was 7 boxes over from mineat the same Post Office.

And yes, In the Nederlands, people advertisd bot Hawaiian Cubes and Heavrnly Hawaiian Cyans.

Marketing plys. ALso Psilocybe mexicanus ( a not existing species which actually represent two different species. Some sold Psilocybe mexicana as P. mexicanus and other sold P. cybensis as Pasilocybe mexicanus.

nd some vendors sllspores for psilocybe cubensae. all of course, usually P. cubensis or P. subcubensis.

mjshroomer

#11 mjshroomer

mjshroomer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,651 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

Im pretty sure I read an article by MushroomJohn that said the only one you can expect to find there are Panaeolus Subbalteatus, Copelandia Cyanescens, C. Tropicalis..

Ill look for cyans, and cubensis but I wouldnt expect to find them in such a tropical climate.. Cubensis maybe, but not cyanescens...

Since you are going top Maui, then the wes side of the island is best and/pr the boy scout camp just south of Wailuku.

Read my paper,
Mushrooms in Paradise: Hawaiian Style.

http://mushroomjohn.org/hawaii4.htm

About my first experience finding and eating Copelandia cyanescens with photos from actual locations.

also go to http://www.mushroomj...org/species.htm

and scroll down on right side of screen, to Shroom Stalkers andcheck Hawaii outand then also next to Srhoom Stalkerslink is Ruminants and Habitats and look for Hawaii at that URL.

have a shroomy day and good luck. It is rainy season now onthe west sides of the Maui and on the North Shor of Oahu and in the Kanaeohe side of Oahu and the Waianae coast of Oahu and Kona onthe Big Island of hawaii.

mjshroomer

And ther are a few more pagesof Hawaiianshroomsa

http://www.mushroomj...rg/articles.htm

happy holidays.

#12 bigorange420

bigorange420

StoneR

• Expired Member
  • 302 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

MJ, your infinite myco knowledge continues to impress. I read your article about Hawaii already, but these other links you provided give me some very needed additional info I wasn't aware of, and you may have just saved me from killing myself from the wrong mushroom, so thankyou.

Dial8: I think Mj may have clarified this but the Hawaiian cubensis wasn't actually found in Hawaii, only if it's grown in door on the islands, thanks for your input though man

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!