• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:58 AM

Have some pearl oysters growing on newspaper in plastic shopping bags per Lazlo's tek in the archives:

http://mycotopia.net...-newspaper.html

Posted Image

Every time i look at them, they're bigger! :eusa_droo
I took that pic this morning, but this is what that cluster looked like on Friday.

[attachment=924121:IMG_1436.JPG]
[attachment=924122:IMG_1442.JPG]

#2 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 December 2008 - 05:00 AM

Yummy :kewl:

#3 crazy1

crazy1

Celestial Traveler

• VIP
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:35 AM

:eusa_clapway to go Tasty!!

Looking great. :cool:

#4 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

Thanks, guys! :heartbeat

A couple of shots from yesterday.
Just misted and looking wet and delicious...

[attachment=924269:110783.attach]
  • AmBe likes this

#5 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:17 PM

Here they are this morning.
You can see clusters all over the bag.

[attachment=924270:IMG_1489.JPG]

This is the smaller bag of the 2 that i made.
The other one beside it is twice as big and should start fruiting very soon.

The varying cap colorations are fascinating.
I stuck the tip of my finger in some of the shots to show scale.

[attachment=924276:110790.attach]

Here's the other side of the bag that is facing away from the window.
You can see that the caps are much paler even though they get plenty of ambient light.
Oysters are very photosensitive!

[attachment=924275:IMG_1494.JPG]

And a nice gill shot to end with. :)

Posted Image

#6 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

Absolutely beautiful there Bev. I've got a bag like that colonizing with the blue oysters. One Question, did you make the holes in the bag at the start or after the bag was fully colonized?

#7 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

Thanks, 'Burr! I didn't cut any holes when i first made up the bags. They seem to get enough from the bag opening, which is tied semi loosely in a knot. However, there was a tiny hole in the bag about 2 mm across that i didn't notice at first. That's where the first cluster erupted from. By the time i noticed it, i could see primordia forming under the plastic all over the place, so i carefully made holes around them.

The other bag hasn't started forming primordia that i can see yet, but i cut some tiny X's last night to see if i could jump start it. :)

I made up a bag of WBS with some of the blue myc that you sent me, but i let it sit too long in the incubator after it was fully colonized and it got wet spot. :( I saved some of the myc though (whew!) and will try again. I might have too many projects going on right now!

#8 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

I might have too many projects going on right now!

Oh how I know that feeling. :lol:

If you need more I still have 7 pints of spawn. :)

#9 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

Thank you! I'll take you up on that if i screw up the next go round, but i'm going to stay positive. :)

#10 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

Those look real tasty Bev :)

#11 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

Thanks, chip! I'm trying to figure out when to harvest... I mean they look the same now as they did yesterday, just bigger. :eusa_thin

I read in another oyster thread that they should be picked when the cap starts to flatten out more, but they look pretty flat now!

#12 chimp

chimp

Space Lord Modulator

• Expired Member
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

Do you have any recipes in mind for when you eat them?

#13 wildburr

wildburr

Wildest of Burrs

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,657 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

Do you have any recipes in mind for when you eat them?

OOOhhhh great question. Bev lets hear some of your best. I do all the cooking at my house and love to learn new recipe's. :)

#14 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 December 2008 - 05:36 PM

Thanks, chip! I'm trying to figure out when to harvest... I mean they look the same now as they did yesterday, just bigger. :eusa_thin

I read in another oyster thread that they should be picked when the cap starts to flatten out more, but they look pretty flat now!

i prefer harvesting oysters just before the cap planes out, when there is still some mild curvature at the edges...for what that's worth.

nice grow. can ask what temps you used in the process? guess i just did ask.

#15 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for the tip!

The grain was incubated at 75 degrees. After i spawned it, there wasn't any room in my incubator for the 2 bags, so i ended up just leaving them out on my dining room table. The temps in the house fluctuated a lot during the grow. At night it dropped to the low 50's, then in the morning it would slowly climb up to maybe 65 until my fella came home in the afternoon and turned the heat on. Then it was around 70-72 until about 11 pm when i shut it off.

#16 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

One of my favorite mushroom recipes is to slice the shrooms into thin strips then saute them with sliced shallots and tons of garlic. While they are cooking, i take a tube of store bought polenta* and slice it thinly. I take a glass baking dish and spoon a little marinara sauce over the bottom. Then a layer of polenta, then more sauce, then the shroom and shallots mixture. Make sure each layer is spread nice and even.

Then i shred a bunch of mozzarella cheese and sprinkle that over the shrooms. Add another layer of sauce, then the rest of the polenta. A bit more sauce, then cover the top with cheese and it goes into a 325 degree oven. 350 degrees if not using a glass pan. I can't remember how long i bake it for, maybe 30 minutes? Really just long enough to get the cheese to melt and brown a little and the sauce starts to bubble since everything is already cooked. If the cheese browns too fast just cover with foil and cook a little longer.

*i know i should make my own polenta, but for some reason i suck at it. I can cook a 7 course gourmet dinner but i can't make fucking cornmeal.
:horse:

#17 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:26 PM

ummmm, bev that sounds good, can i come over for dinner?

btw :kewl: ! edibles seem hard to grow but looks like you're doing great!

#18 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:04 PM

Thanks, darlin', you're welcome at my table any time!

Here is the bag today.

[attachment=924348:110863.attach]

Think i might be close to harvesting that one big clump.
The edges are starting to uncurl, so i'm watching like a hawk!

[attachment=924350:110865.attach]

#19 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:49 PM

GET IN MAH BELLEH!

Posted Image

[attachment=924444:IMG_1505.JPG]
[attachment=924445:IMG_1507.JPG]

#20 TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage

Goodbye Ofelia

• Expired Member
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:43 PM

Alrighty, i learned something. There is a delicate balance between having enough FAE and exposing the substrate block to drying out. I saw tons of pins on the top of the block, so i foolishly cut off a large part of the plastic bag. Even with multiple mistings per day, the whole thing got too dry. Some of the mushrooms got a little wrinkled on the edges and new growth completely stalled out.

I picked most of them off but one cluster didn't look ready yet so i left it. Oops, woke up this morning to a mess of white spores EVERYWHERE. I cleaned some of it up before i thought to take pics, but it's kind of hard to see since they're white and i have the oysters sitting on a white plastic bag to protect my wooden dining room table from moisture. You can see some tiny spore icicles dangling from the cap though.

[attachment=924842:111382.attach]

The other bag is starting to really take off. This bag is twice as big as the other one so i should get a good sized crop.

[attachment=924843:IMG_1516.JPG]

Here's what that same bag looked like on Sunday, 12-14:

[attachment=924844:IMG_1509.JPG]

Here's a cool bonus! I made up a bag of WBS 11-25. The WBS had some hydration issues, but since oysters are pretty forgiving, i thought it might have a chance. I had nuked the WBS in the microwave for 3 sessions on high at 5 minutes each. I had prior success with just nuking for 2x 5 minute sessions, but i tried 3 this time and it dried out too much. I noc'd 2 bags anyway, one with this pearl oyster and another with blue oyster mycelium that i got from Wildburr. Thanks, buddy! Well since the WBS was under hydrated, the mycelium stalled out at about 90% colonization. I should have just used what was already colonized, but i have too many projects going right now so i left them in the incubator.

Big mistake! The condensation on the inside of the bags caused wet spot in both of them. :( So i took them out of the incubator and left them on the counter by the front door. I kept meaning to take them down to the dumpster, but i'm always in a rush when i leave the house so they've been sitting there for a while. I looked at them this morning and the pearls not only overtook and ate the wet spot, but now is fruiting directly on the WBS in the ziplock bag!

[attachment=924845:111385.attach]

The front door is in a foyer which is the only part of the house that is unheated. Temps range between 45 at night to maybe 58 - 60 during the day.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!