• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:19 PM

I've really been enjoying my Mushroom honey extract over the past few months and it's hard to imagine actually eating them any more..
Anyway in the interest of twisted perfection ,i've been dreaming of ways to improve the method and of course the end result..
I bought this $60 vacuum filter which will suck the mushroom tea through a very fine filter..The tea is then cooked/evap'd down to a syrupy essence and mixed with honey for storage..
The big idea here is that if the tea is very finely filtered b4 reducing, it should produce a much finer essence with better flavour..
In this pic u can see how dark the tea is before passing thru the filter..http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111090&d=1229194323
And in this pic - the clarity after filtering...Quite a difference...http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111091&d=1229194323
Here is the end result, a comparison between the highly filtered and the
normal filtration method [a finely woven cloth] on right..http://mycotopia.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=111092&d=1229194323
The one bottle could easily pass as being pancake syrup ..Taste test tonight..:eusa_danc
Each bottle has a 12g dry equivelent...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2169.jpg
  • IMG_2168.jpg
  • IMG_2166.jpg

• TVCasualty, Doctor D, dial8 and 2 others like this

#2 Guest_CaptainZero_*

Guest_CaptainZero_*

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

Fantastic. I am really looking forward to making some honey. The taste of the mushroom is the only part about doing shrooms that I dislike.

Before, I never really minded the flavor... but... My buddy convinced me last year to try eating a fully colonized 1/2 pint rice cake. I gagged down the entire thing dry heaving on every bite. The worse part is that I didn't even get a buzz off of it.

Ever since I haven't been able to stomach the flavor. I dry heave while choking down every dose of dried shrooms from that point forward. I have to take a mouth full of chocolate or some fruit juice to chew them up or it just isn't happening.

#3 OZZZ

OZZZ

Occultus munia es in nos

• Free Member
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:09 PM

Nice!

Ive fallen in love with a no bake cookie recipe ... but this honey tek looks SLICK

:thumbup:

#4 oakchild

oakchild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:16 PM

My buddy convinced me last year to try eating a fully colonized 1/2 pint rice cake.

Some friend! :nunchuck:

Nice job Golly!

I have been wanting to set up a vacuum filtration unit for a while.

Blessings,
Oakchild

8-)

#5 eastwood

eastwood

Dragon Bait

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,612 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:39 PM

Brilliant :meditate:

#6 mydarling

mydarling

(actual mycologist)

• Expired Member
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:45 PM

cool golly! my assistant has been bugging me a lot lately to make honey, and i think i will, cause honestly i dont know what i'd do otherwise with all the damn fruits. i'll use your method :) maybe not with a vacuum flask though.. damn, shoulda stolen one of those from my old lab :p did u also purchase a vacuum pump and vacuum gauge? how much were those?

Hey golly,

a thought here. can i use coffee filters to strain the mushroom "tea" before reducing, as opposed to a cloth (like in your tek) or the vacuum system here? don't think i can easily acquire a vacuum system atm. and coffee filters seem they would do a better job of filtering than even a fine cloth.

i think this honey is going to make a great xmas present for some friends of mine. :)

Edited by Beast, 13 March 2009 - 01:57 PM.

#7 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thnx for the comments...:)
The new filtration method made a huge difference in flavor ,with no muddy after taste..
My mistake was putting it in the narrow necked bottle , as it's too thick to pour when cold..
The little bit i did scoop out was very potent and very clean in effect..

MD - yes you can use a paper coffee filter but when you simmer the shrooms, they should be larger chunks rather than powdered or the filter will clog...
In fact , no matter what filtering method used ,powdered shrooms will be problematic.

Using a fine cloth allows you to twist out every last drop ,where-as paper will rupture.
Using both methods is proly best for end quality...

Other tips...
Use a heavy frypan to reduce down [even heat with large surface evap area]...

A flex rubber spatula is the best for constant stirring as it begins to thicken..

Use medium heat at first, when it's mostly water ..Reduce heat as it begins to thicken.

I always use ascorbic acid crystals to help extract and preserve [1tsp per 25g]
Never tried this with just plain water + always use distilled for any reduction process.

#8 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

This latest batch of honey extract was sucked into a syringe for accurate dosing + prevents air from oxidizing the psilly..
Syringe has a mini twist on cap for sealing..

Pretty convenient to squirt a measured dose in tea or juice..:greenboun

Last night a 3cc dose provided a good buzzzzz..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2191.jpg

• Shadowlord and oakchild like this

#9 oakchild

oakchild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:34 PM

This latest batch of honey extract was sucked into a syringe for accurate dosing + prevents air from oxidizing the psilly..
Syringe has a mini twist on cap for sealing..

Pretty convenient to squirt a measured dose in tea or juice..:greenboun

Last night a 3cc dose provided a good buzzzzz..

That is a great idea for dosing. :bow:

The syringe definitely kills the stealthiness though.

Blessings,
Oakchild

8-)

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,565 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:35 AM

:bow:

Wow, great job there!

#11 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Ya ,it is a bit suspicious looking, even for a honey ham baster ...heh...

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,565 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

Well, it kind of looks like Gorilla Glue, so maybe keep it in your toolbox with blunt plastic applicator tips (like the kind sold for dispensing glue out of syringes). Context is everything with stealth, and where there's a will there's a way; the honey must flow!

#13 hungryjim

hungryjim

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 532 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

---Aye, TVC! I imagine a white, self-stick label, clearly labeled with a black marker, "EPOXY". I have all kinds of stuff like that in my "junk drawer"....HJ

#14 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,565 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:36 PM

---Aye, TVC! I imagine a white, self-stick label, clearly labeled with a black marker, "EPOXY". I have all kinds of stuff like that in my "junk drawer"....HJ

:reb:

It's also better to have someone borrow your 'glue' without asking and end up having nothing stick together than to have someone borrow some honey without asking and end up curled up on the floor in a fetal position weeping hysterically.

On the other hand, nobody has 'borrowed' anything out of my fridge without asking in years.

#15 oakchild

oakchild

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 06:57 PM

Well, it kind of looks like Gorilla Glue, so maybe keep it in your toolbox with blunt plastic applicator tips (like the kind sold for dispensing glue out of syringes). Context is everything with stealth, and where there's a will there's a way; the honey must flow!

That would work to maintain stealth, but then what do you do about temperature control? Ideally you want to keep that shit in the fridge. I guess if you are planning on using it all in the next few weeks you will be fine.

Blessings,
Oakchild

8-)

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,565 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:55 AM

When hermetically sealed in honey like that, I think the threat to the molecules would be light more so than temperature. I've had tubs of my own honey recipe sitting at room temp for months (about 7) with no noticeable loss in potency.

#17 marmy

marmy

riding the roller coaster

• Expired Member
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:08 AM

golly, what is your actual recipe/tek from tea to honey.. swim might give that a try tonight

#18 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

Process takes 1hr..
crush but not powder mush..

use 1 cup distilled water + 1 tspn ascorbic acid per 15g mush..

simmer 25 mins.

strain thru finest cloth and twist squeeze...Add a bit more water to pulp and twist squeeze again..

pour in large heavy frypan and avap down on moderate flame..stir constantly with
rubber spatula..

As it begins to thicken reduce heat but stir more..

It will reach the viscosity of maple syrup, at which point add honey [50-100% of mush
syrup volume]

Cook a few more mins then pour in storage container while hot and refridgerate..

Enjoy...

#19 marmy

marmy

riding the roller coaster

• Expired Member
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:01 AM

I forgot to ask, how many dried do you use at a time?

my foaf just did 16g dry with one teaspoon of vitamin c Crystals and did not have much left to mix. Maybe an ounce of liquid

will one also see some of the sugars carmelizing while reducing?

#20 golly

golly

modapotato

• Expired Member
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 02:38 PM

20-100g at a time but u need a 12in fry pan for reducing larger amounts..

When reducing , the liquid gives a sweet scent and the color darkens a bit ..There may be some carmelizing [kinda hard to tell]..
You can start with more water per gram [i guestimated] ..

The only potential problem, is overcooking the syrup as it can heat to 300+ F but i haven't had any runs that impacted potency yet..

Preparing to do a 75g run now but this one will also contain a concentrated essence of kratom..They combine really well..

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!