• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:04 AM

Does anyone else have this problem? I have ad aware but the shit just comes back after I remove it. I don't know how to procede. It slows down IE considerably and makes me paranoid. If anyone else deals with this, please, join in my bitch session about cyberpests

#2 kaysuds

kaysuds

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:11 AM

1) stop using ie and use firefox
2) use microsoft's anti spyware program.. .will sit active in your tray and pounce when it sees a problem
3) always run up to date virus definitions on your anti v
4) keep windows up to date http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
5) Be carefull of what you download and install. Things like kaza are full of spyware.

or.... stop using windows :)

#3 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:18 AM

Thanx for the advice kaysuds
I had all sorts of good stuff for that on my computer until my hardrive took a shit. Now I drop 30 bux on ad aware and it can't even keep my comp clean it just removes it and tells me that someones hijacking my browser every two seconds but does nothing to stop it. BAh Time to go talk to some IT geeks and get frree software (hopefully)

#4 kaysuds

kaysuds

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:28 AM

ad-aware is free for personal use
microsoft anti spyware is free

get your money back ;)

#5 I_am_me

I_am_me

Odderator

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:29 AM

www.getfirefox.com

Download firefox and use it instead of internet explorer. It really helps. Its just a different browser but it isn't targetted as much as IE.

#6 Guest_thafunkyone_*

Guest_thafunkyone_*

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:38 AM

firefox is the shit. I'd never go back to IE....never a problem with pop-ups and the like.

#7 Raptor

Raptor

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:47 AM

firefox is cool, i just always forget to use it instead, plus i never have problems with IE. Did you actually buy "ad-aware" or something named alike, because there's a lot of bullshit spyware software out there that actually causes the problems it claims it cleans.
I do this stuff for a living; kaysuds is right, ad-aware is free, microsoft's is great WHILE it's still free.
Also if you think something's clean and it keeps getting shit, you've more than likely got a browser hijacker which can be a huge bitch. If you know what you're doing download HijackThis and let it reset your registry values for IE, unless you know how to do it manually in regedit as well. Also CWShredder is suppose to help remove common hijackers such as CoolWebSearch. One variation of which I wasn't able to remove w/ anything except Stop Sign.

#8 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:16 PM

I had firefox until my hard drive died and I'm on dial up so downloading anything over a few megs is a biatch. Ad aware is free??? WTF!!! I payed 30 bux at circuit city or sumthin. I also noticed that the ads that I kept getting were for various diff spyware removal programs. Its a fuckin conspiracy!!!! The hackers prolly get the software companies to sponsor em so that they both get to make money. Do I have to download all this shit or is there another way to get it free? I was gonna go talk to IT but then I remembered I had a test(phew) so now I'm really gonna go get some freeware or sumthin

#9 kaysuds

kaysuds

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:22 PM

if IT cannot help you, PM me a a safe addy and I'll send you off a cd

#10 shroomkalthoom

shroomkalthoom

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:46 PM

Run Ad Aware after booting the PC in safe mode. Also run Spybot (it is free) as it sometimes finds things ad aware doesn't. If you have a trojan that these 2 progs don't find you may need to scanthe PC with some antivirus software. Trend Micro has a free online scan.

#11 imok

imok

-

• Expired Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:53 PM

Even with dial-up use a firewall and av program.
I use Zonealarm and AVG (both free editions but you can buy their pro versions as well)
I also use spybot s&d and adaware (both free) and keep all of them updated at least once a week.
I just saw that winpatrol has a new free version released (it also has a pay pro version) which may help with your hijack problem.
It does sound like you got one of those adaware spoofs that really put ad/hijack stuff on your system.
If you get firefox be sure to get the current version since it was recently found to have vulnerabilities that had to be fixed.

#12 destroy_erase_improve

destroy_erase_improve

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:22 PM

just dloaded zonealarm
never even heard of firefox
what features are different from IE in firefox

#13 pacingthecage

pacingthecage

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:26 PM

I recently did MUCH research on the best freeware security programs out there - CNET reviews, other tech website reviews, google searches for reviews......on and on. These are what I finally decided on as the best setup for protection against spyware/adware/trojans and I have them ALL installed on my PC now:

1.) Firefox, Firefox, Firefox (by Mozilla)
http://www.mozilla.org/

2.) Kerio Firewall - Kerio Personal Firewall 4 is available in two flavors - the full edition and the limited free edition.

After installation, KPF works as the full edition for 30 days, after which it becomes the limited free edition.

Limited free edition does not provide the content filtering capabilities such as blocking pop-up windows, ads, VB scripts, cookies, etc. and other extra features.

This firewall has better reviews than any other free firewall. Users of other popular free firewalls are switching to Kerio. Google it if you don't believe me.
http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html

3.) AdAware SE by Lavasoft. Nuff said.
http://www.lavasoft.com/

4.) Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta version (I just read somewhere Microsoft has announced that this Beta version will remain free).
http://www.microsoft...re/default.mspx

5.) Ewido Security Suite. This is similar to AdAware and Microsoft's AntiSpyware but specializes in TROJANS. Ewido is the best of a new crop of anti-Trojan programs. There is the free as well as the plus-version of the ewido security suite. After the installation, a free 14-day test version containing all the extensions of the plus-version will be activated. At the end of the test phase, the extensions of the plus version are deactivated and the freeware version can be used unlimited times.
http://www.ewido.net/en/

Don't take my word for it, check this out:
16 Best Ever Freeware Utilities
http://www.techsuppo...e_utilities.htm

I also use Tor, which is an surf anonymizer developed FOR (not by) the U.S. government in order so that they may anonymously visit other websites on the net (other countries? our own? etc?). I have researched it much. I will post more about Tor in the Resist and Rebel forum soon.

#14 vrooota

vrooota

Onamonapia

• Free Member
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:41 PM

wow thanx a bunch PTC thats got all the links that the IT guy said to go to pretty much except for kerio which I think I'll try too. Now the only problem is finding enough phone line time to download it all :(
It wouldn't be soooo bad with dial up except that now that I have this shit on my computer my connection is ridiculous. 1-2 k/s download speeds is the pits

#15 imok

imok

-

• Expired Member
  • 595 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:55 PM

wow thanx a bunch PTC thats got all the links that the IT guy said to go to pretty much except for kerio which I think I'll try too. Now the only problem is finding enough phone line time to download it all :(
It wouldn't be soooo bad with dial up except that now that I have this shit on my computer my connection is ridiculous. 1-2 k/s download speeds is the pits

If you are in serious trouble and you don't have anyone local that can download the software for you so you can install/fix your system then you need to take some drastic action.
First, copy all non-program files to floppy/cd and make sure you know what software is installed on your system and have a copy available.
Download the firewall you want to use and put it on external media as well.
Second, since you had to create a new system after your hard drive failure then you have what is needed to format/install a new copy of your OS.
The next thing to do is to install the firewall and av program, and setup your internet connection.
Then you can reinstall your programs from fresh copies and install any non-program files.
I would suggest, at the point you have everything working good, that you do an image backup.
A good program to do that is bootitng.
It runs about $35 to register it.
I would recomend anyone check out http://www.langa.com for the langa list and search his archives for backup and system optimization methods.
With a good image, you could just restore from the last good backup and go from there.
Good luck.

#16 perrch01

perrch01

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:13 PM

www.getfirefox.com

Download firefox and use it instead of internet explorer. It really helps. Its just a different browser but it isn't targetted as much as IE.

Awesome! I can finally do stuff for school from my computer. With IE it has been getting continualy worse, to the point where now it shuts down any browsers I have open if I try to go to one of the school's pages

#17 shwoomziwwa

shwoomziwwa

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 12:30 AM

I tried fire fox for awhile and loved it as well as spyboy s&d, but when I upgraded that damn yahoo messenger everything went straight to hell! GRRRR! I'm using an old fred flintstone comp as it is, but hell its fun to do those recovery disk things every once in awhile, keeps ya on your toes.

#18 Sweetness

Sweetness

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:20 AM

Firefox
AVG
Spybot

I surf my a** off and since I dl'd that combination I haven't had any problems. I hate spyware.

#19 rolly

rolly

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 03:24 AM

got a couple bad ones that hijack this, microsoft anti spyware beta and ad-aware wouldn't take off even in safe mode..

I gave microsoft's spyware and virus helpline a call at 1-866-727-2338
The tech. got my computer clean and fixed some other problems in an hour or so.
About time they gave out free support!

http://support.micro...gp/securityhome

I wonder why they make that number so hard to find..

#20 Guest_pissybee_*

Guest_pissybee_*

Posted 15 April 2005 - 03:40 AM

I use spywareblaster, ad-aware SE personal edition, spware doctor, and spybot-s&d... Even tried websweep by webroot(but is only good for 30 days), I use AVG, for antivirus... I can get everything with ad aware and spyware doctor, usually.... All oif which are free for the personal editions.... I run 'em once a day tops, and never have any probs with IE or mozilla anymore....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!