Photo
- - - - -

HYBRIDIZATION

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:24 AM

Donkeys and horses, my friends. Donkeys and horses.

#22 Beast

Beast

That's Mr. Beast to you..

• Expired Member
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:30 PM

A hybrid is a cross between two species but within the same genus. There are intergeneric hybrids, but I think this is much more difficult to create, and can find no examples, while wikipedia has plenty of examples of interspecific hybrids:

Interspecific hybrids are bred by mating two species, normally from within the same genus. The offspring display traits characterisitc of both parents. The offspring of an interspecific cross may be sterile. Sterility is attributed to the different number of chromosomes the two species have, for example donkeys have 62 chromosomes, while horses have 64, mules have 63. Mules and other sterile interspecific hybrids cannot produce viable gametes because the extra chromosome cannot make a homologous pair at meiosis, meiosis is disrupted and viable sperm and eggs are not formed.

liger, tigon, zebroid, beefalo, are exapmles of interspecific animal hybrids, and things like loganberry, tangelos, and wheat varieties are plant hybrids.
It seems to me that crossing between genera (Psilocybe cubensis crossed with Panaeolus cyanescens) would be next to impossible, whereas making crosses between species of the same genus (Psilocybe cubensis crossed with Psilocybe cyanescens) are what we are aiming for here.
Nevertheless, it seems that hybrids are not able to reproduce due to the variances in chromosomes donated from the parents
But Mushroom sex isn't the same as animal or plant sex, so maybe something crazy like a chimaera or mosaic might be possible?
On a side note I read this in the chimera entry linked above:

"In August 2003, researchers at the Shanghai Second Medical University in China reported that they had successfully fused human skin cells and rabbit eggs to create the first human chimeric embryos."

:eek: yikes!!
I'm just talking theoretically here, seems like a laboratory is definately to be called for here, as well as a couple PhDs in genetics, etc...
But maybe rodger should jack off on a petri dish and add some spores and rattlesnake venom and see if we can get a 'shrooman'?

#23 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:47 PM

maybe rodger should jack off on a petri dish and add some spores and rattlesnake venom and see if we can get a 'shrooman'?

oh crap,
now you've given him an idea
and i shudder to think
of the pictures he'll no doubt
soon be posting...
:eek:
:lol:

#24 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:49 PM

But maybe rodger should jack off on a petri dish and add some spores and rattlesnake venom and see if we can get a 'shrooman'?

Quit sneaking into my lab and peeking.
RR

#25 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:57 PM

#26 the_chosen_one

the_chosen_one

electro gypsy

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 8,113 posts

Donator

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:08 PM

What would be a really neat hybrid is a psilocye oyster mushroom. Or a Magic Morel. See if the magic can get hybrid into an edible that tastes good :D

*note, I don't mind the taste of psilocybes, I mention the above because its the taste most don't like.*

Magic Morels! Dinner's at freaky's tonight!

#27 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 08 November 2005 - 02:30 PM

Imagine the ears on those rascals. :eek:

#28 slp

slp

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 03:03 PM

I still stick by my post about chomosome number match and hybrids.
"Donkeys and horses, my friends. Donkeys and horses."
Guess what, this happens because both the donkey and horse have the same
number of chromosomes. To cross two different species with different
chomosome numbers has to be done by other methods, and not the one
described in Rodger's article.....slp/fmrc

#29 Guest_dial8_*

Guest_dial8_*

Posted 08 November 2005 - 04:13 PM

Right, slp. I was not debating the chromosome number I was simply saying that hybrids can be produced by crossing compatible species like donkeys and horses :)

#30 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 08 November 2005 - 05:37 PM

Of course, some people can't even see the red spores on the stipe and mycelium in these pictures, so for them it's all bullshit anyway. Same species or not.
RR

Attached Thumbnails

• rb 2 009a.jpg
  • rb 2 003a.jpg

#31 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 06:58 PM

it's my opinion that
given all the available evidence,
it's not possible for me to drawn a firm conclusion.
i cannot rule out the possibility that you are correct
but neither can i rule out the possibility that
you made some kind of error which mislead you.
i have magnified your photos and the hue is still purple to my eye.
but of course since purple is red + blue
it's impossible to say
there is no red.
further the issue is clouded by the fact that the
color of a powder is variable depending on the
depth of the deposit, the lighting used, the camera, etc.

so i cannot say it's BS
but neither can i rule that out.
in all honesty
i do not see how one could ever be certain
about this case as certain required information
is missing.

#32 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:16 PM

now
this is red-
http://mycotopia.net...24&d=1131488985

#33 Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Guest_Peter Cottontail_*

Posted 08 November 2005 - 07:28 PM

I thought you were gonna say, "Gee, what a shitty pinset Rodg". lol
RR

#34 waylitjim

waylitjim

A Mirror Image

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,706 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:12 PM

#35 mindovermycelia

mindovermycelia

Imaginary friend

• Expired Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:37 PM

i checked the color in photoshop and it is definitely dark red, not dark purple
generally, from my experience as a professional digital photographer, red tends to look more orange if the color is skewed by the camera, such as fuji (though I love fuji) or lighting circumstances such as tungsten (yellow) light - it is unlikely that an image would come out cooler (ie more blue and giving reds a purple tint) with a digital camera unless the photographer purposefully altered the white balance for that purpose but that isn't the issue here anyway, now that I think about it. But purple if photographed with tungsten lighting and not accounted for with a camera's auto white balance would appear to be more like dark pink, like a brown color, not red as seen in the photo above. that print is def more red in hips picture though, but it looks kind of orange due to the photograph.

#36 mindovermycelia

mindovermycelia

Imaginary friend

• Expired Member
  • 759 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 08:54 PM

I checked the colors of roger's print pictured in the redboy thread with photoshop color checker and the colors are blue to purple not red - unlikely to be a mistake on the photogaphy end

#37 Guest_freakachino_*

Guest_freakachino_*

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:53 PM

RR's were hybrid crossed with another cubensis so of course it may not show the red of PF's spore print sample, it could still have the spore color of the other strain.

Was PF's print sample in the above picture from the original that was found? Is that an old photo?
RR's are current with the hybridization, but the original print from Mr. Stephen Peele was red like PF's, correct?

I do have to say that RR's current picture of spores doesn't look "red" to my eye coming over my screen. If memory serves I do believe he posted a red spore print though before the data loss.

This is really interesting though :) And it'll be interesting to watch. There is also some good info on the snake venom and why its so successful with DNA. I did some googling and found some interesting stuff.

#38 Jacsprat

Jacsprat

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 102 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 09:53 PM

Mr. Peele,

can you please discuss more about this wood eating

Psilocybe mushroom you mentioned and do you have prints?

#39 fucgubarn

fucgubarn

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 764 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:40 AM

heard of a method using temperature as high as 60-70C to wake up spores,not sure was it only for endospores or it can be applied to spores in question ?

#40 slp

slp

Mycophage

• Expired Member
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:39 AM

"Mr. Peele, can you please discuss more about this wood eating Psilocybe mushroom you mentioned and do you have prints?"
That work was done some 20 years ago. It appears that some strains of Ps. cubensis produce enzymes that can actually break down wood. With a lot of
testing, we found three strains that grew very well on oak chips. Test were
done just for informational purposes. No prints were saved, nor were cultures
deposited. All three strains were isolated from mushrooms growing from cow patties that were laid by grazing, grass eating cows. I would guess to say, if you tried different strains on oak, you might one day find one that would grow okay....you did read the story about the wild oak eater found in #14 TEO, didn't you? slp/fmrc

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!